• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2023 Obs/Disco

40/70 Benchmark

I don't think so, if I were asked at this time and "mood"  (admittedly)

I dunno... the NAO is gone.  Red Herring all along.  It may return to those retro white dreams it was along those prior runs, now tossed upon the trash heap of modeled fantasies - a heap that is in my opinion far larger than any modeled NAO success stack.  

There were/are 2 primary factors driving this late winter, as we turn page into a early spring.

- La Nina/-PNA persistent foot print

- The happenstance of a cold loading event across the Canadian shield. 

That latter aspect is really the only thing protecting us from early 'warm bursts' ... perhaps similar to 2017, 2018 ... 2020..etc.

Dice rolling on NAO by the physical results of model ( so to speak...) just very recently perhaps added to that, but thinking back on that modeling escapade... It was always perfect.  Think about that.  A perfect NAO requiring at D7-10 lead.  Uuuusually doesn't end very well.  I think whatever happens moving forward, don't count on assistance by the NAO. I was just looping the 10 days of the 12z deterministic Euro, and it really has very little NAO blocking sufficiently above neutral 500 mb anomalies to matter, W of Iceland, the whole way.  That's hugely different than some of these charts just 4 or so days ago.  ... anyway, I guess there is some small consolation in knowing that it can just as easily return and help force matters - the probability goes in both directions.   But I hate to roll eyes ... the clock is ticking on this season, perhaps at a faster rate than normal years do to the most persistent and dependable of those two signals above: the ENSO/-PNA

In fact, the D10 Euro is almost a warm burst. 

Not sure how this effects ( if any) the GFS Mar 4 idea.  The 12z GEFs have so much weight in favor of a bigger event there ( not just the operational), that all this may be irrelevant for that event.  That said, the GEFs 12z mean doesn't have much NAO moving west across the Basin any longer either ( thru D10). It tries beyond but this f'n thing is can-kicking big time. Just stop. We don't even need an NAO in a GEFs/operational GFS scenario.  

So I guess this afternoon op ed, in the spirit of commiseration ..., has two facets. 

The first being, the longer term signals are returning to a warm one for the month of March. Without the NAO, and the cold in Canada surely exhausting in time - have to monitor the EPO loading pattern for the first couple of weeks of the month - not sure how there can arouse any other impression. 

The second aspect regards yet another lesson in overrated NAO.  I mean it plays a role and can be a modulator, but it's really still just the Pacific ( transitive wave mechanics - been trying to explain this lately but who wants to think in an environment of fantasy and escape lol) and fact of the matter is, we can do fine without it.  We just don't have the footprint hemisphere to do so this go of it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Lakes cutter on gefs 

LOL 

Yeah, that looks like a really good track for Chicago, it bombs about 50-100 miles SE of there on the mean. The range of solutions is pretty much a 940mb low in Wisconsin to a disorganized and strung out low off the Carolinas. Sometimes the models will catch on to a general threat area at about day 7-8 and lock in, others the models are still all over the place at day 3. This pattern is definitely the latter.