Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

9 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Right, but all I'm saying is that the pattern that people were excited about materialized for the most part. We got a huge NAO block and the PNA went positive. Details like the ridge being a bit too far to the west and the PV getting stuck out there are details you worry about closer in.

I think the difference In the western ridge position was something Scott picked up on By mid December clearly and he consistently cited the tropical forcing saying that this was an up and in look . Meaning he saw enough and he has the knowledge to Realize the look was not favoring the coast, Bob as well .  I.E he used the tropical forcing to deduce Where the ridging was likely to set up (Or why it wouldn’t trend favorable) Now this wasn’t deduced as clearly early month , but as we entered the favorable stormy period , it was by scooter . 

So while the pattern looked potentially amazing in the future by early December it didn’t by mid month and never was that great for the CP .

EPS wasn’t too enthusiastic about 1/6, but it wasn’t awful either. Hopefully we get an improvement today on 12z. 

EPS are still showing a great pattern though in the 11-15 like yesterday so that is 2 runs in a row where it went the GEFS route of a much better looking pacific. 

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

EPS wasn’t too enthusiastic about 1/6, but it wasn’t awful either. Hopefully we get an improvement today on 12z. 

EPS are still showing a great pattern though in the 11-15 like yesterday so that is 2 runs in a row where it went the GEFS route of a much better looking pacific. 

same assessment over here.  

adding ... 00z GEFs ( fwiw) were a significant 'tick' ( as you guys call it) improved.  Perhaps two or three ticks.  There's spread only around the NW arc of the 132-144 hour position off the 00z. That "only" in that context is said deliberately.  I've noticed in the past, if the spread is all directions, the entire envelope's value is lower in skill.  This way, we argue at least a presence and go from there.  But several of those members in that smear are below 995 mb, which is a new circumstance among GEF cluster.  Prior cycles were unanimously weaker.  The morphology of the 500 mb in the OV was also rotated more neutral.   

It's seemingly petty to focus, but this is threading the needle on mechanics.  If the aft/trailing mechanics come off the Pacific weak vs just that much stronger has been clearly dictating whether we get .2" to .5" QPF in a marginal therm, vs the whiff.  

We said all along,...well, I did, that this was the first opportunity "at all" - which in spirit and fairness of what that means, no grousing if a minor appetizer isn't delivered.  

There's also a more of a telecon -scaled signal out there between 270 and 300 or so hours.   I think we mentioned yesterday.  No changes on that.

16 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I mean to be honest , it’s pretty gorgeous out .

im teetering on wondering why I even want it cold , mild temps 50-60 are sorta perfect 

We teeter.

I kind of like teetering, because like you, I have enjoyed this recent weather. My hope is that we teeter for a while, but the winter slowly bleeds back in and gets deeper and deeper, and stays here for about six weeks, much better than the radical ups and down in my opinion. 

• Like 2

Jan 6th threat: H5 has appeal, and will likely continue to, but surface looks too warm, and that’s the prevailing issue. Highest POP collocated with most marginal temps up to 850. Warm antecedent air mass, weak dynamics,  and incoming surface cold lags behind. Systems like this where in-situ cold —or lack thereof—makes or breaks it. We know where this case falls. Advisory event if everything works out perfectly, onset during overnight, stronger system.

Next.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1