• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

The GGEM was in fact significantly improved over the previous run cycles, wrt the general 500 mb centering on 00z Friday... Toggling shows a 2-cycle cyclonic rotation around an Ohio axis, and that's the 2ndary/emergent correction vector telling where the future guidance at least has a chance to move.

I'd call this run almost as important as a direct strike solution, for the value of that trend alone.

Also, we're talking about at most a moderate event - still want to be clear.  At least for my contribution to analytic conjecture.  

It could evolve more? sure.  Again again again...emphasize the relay off the Pacific ocean of wind mechanics, doing so along an impressively straight zonal delivery - not necessarily the best performing circumstance for models. Plus... there's also just all kinds of stream interplay and that can cause 'fractal' results/high complexity.   But likewise and to be fair, it could smear again.  I don't think it will... but we'll see. 

For SNE, this is the best 'looking' set up for D5 we've seen this season, for at least getting snow in the air...  crazy

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I cited back in November that it would be an up and in look for December, but I just didn't expect next to nothing within 50mi of the coast.

@STILL N OF PIKEDifference is that I attributed it more to general RNA, as opposed to ridge positioning once the PNA built in. I didn't think that that major low would end up screwing us as horribly as it did in the longer term. I was very happy with my medium and short range effort 

39 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Close though. Seems like it invests a little too much in the lead wave. But even that one looks icy over interior SNE N of pike and snowy for CNE/NNE

It's got the 32F 2 meter isotherm down to ORH, with 29 at ASH centered on 12z Thursday...   

Rain

Nope...sorry.  Too much high pressure N, and a hydroscopic sink already in CNE with low pressure just S of LI.    Typical GGEM way too warm boundary layer BS

The GGEM sort of reminds me of a warmer version of the 30 hour pancake wave event back in 2015. It was like an weak wave/overrunning hybrid, with terrific snow growth for a full day of constancy.  Just dream worthy for winter enthusiasts...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The GGEM was in fact significantly improved over the previous run cycles, wrt the general 500 mb centering on 00z Friday... Toggling shows a 2-cycle cyclonic rotation around an Ohio axis, and that's the 2ndary/emergent correction vector telling where the future guidance at least has a chance to move.

I'd call this run almost as important as a direct strike solution, for the value of that trend alone.

Also, we're talking about at most a moderate event - still want to be clear.  At least for my contribution to analytic conjecture.  

It could evolve more? sure.  Again again again...emphasize the relay off the Pacific ocean of wind mechanics, doing so along an impressively straight zonal delivery - not necessarily the best performing circumstance for models. Plus... there's also just all kinds of stream interplay and that can cause 'fractal' results/high complexity.   But likewise and to be fair, it could smear again.  I don't think it will... but we'll see. 

For SNE, this is the best 'looking' set up for D5 we've seen this season, for at least getting snow in the air...  crazy

It’s good that pretty much all guidance has been trending toward that lagging wave. Whether or not it ultimately succeeds is obviously still up in the air but we’re getting a mix of some actual hits and close calls on the guidance which is fine for 5 days out on a system that isn’t even occurring in a favorable larger scale pattern. We’re trying to “steal” this event before things look more favorable toward mid-month. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s good that pretty much all guidance has been trending toward that lagging wave. Whether or not it ultimately succeeds is obviously still up in the air but we’re getting a mix of some actual hits and close calls on the guidance which is fine for 5 days out on a system that isn’t even occurring in a favorable larger scale pattern. We’re trying to “steal” this event before things look more favorable toward mid-month. 

I refer to these a 'sub-index' events.  They do exist and occur, but the d(index) may offer limited or no suggestion.   This one is a signal that was entirely 1/2 to 2/3rds GEF members playing hot potato with...  taking turns.   Meanwhile, as you say... there is suggestion for a more systemically realized +PNA/-AO afterward.

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Puke. 

given my luck, I’m seriously going to regret keeping that trip. Tickets for the mountain already bought too, no refund.

I think you will be ok, as the weather should be good for man made snow after Thursday for a bit , just don’t want a screaming SE’er right around your arrival 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m all for keeping this weather at this point.

Im all set with 10 degrees and dry cracked ground.

My current temperature of 44° is my high for the week so far. Upper Valley not only doesn’t have winter but we can’t even get the temperatures to spike.  It’s been cloudy for days here.

• Like 1