Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
August Discussion/Obs

weatherwiz

13 hours ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Spent a week on the Allagash end of last month. Can confirm northern maine has been wet. They’ve had it rough past 5 summers and were due. Best water I’ve had on the river since 2019 and lawns in the Saint John valley were very green and not from moose poop fertilizer. Was down on deer isle this past weekend and it was parch city. Made lawns in the lake region look like the Congo by comparison. 

The St. John has actually been canoeable much of the summer - should be approaching 3k cfs at Dickey to avoid some drags thru shallow stretches.  More commonly it's water trickling thru a rockpile in August, at least upstream from Dickey, or as a former co-worker fluent in 'Franglais' would say, "In Haugust I'm put my snowshoe on my feet, canoe on my back and walk down the river!"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Giant robot spiders teleporting into your bedroom at night and nibbling on your head.

Good morning R I B. Great start to an interesting storyline. One that could go in all sorts of directions. At least they didn’t land in Jersey this time. As always ….

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

There's been this consistent low rumble going on since I woke up. Sounds like planes or maybe we're about to be invaded by UFO's and aliens. 

Where do you live? I actually hear the planes at Logan when they land and throw on the reverse thrusters if the wind blows right and there's a temp inversion. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Dear Stein, I wrote you but still ain't callin'
I left my cell, my pager, and my home phone at the bottom
I sent two letters back in the drought stricken autumn, you must not've got 'em
There probably was a problem at the post office or somethin'
Sometimes I scribble addresses, too sloppy when I jot 'em…

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Where do you live? I actually hear the planes at Logan when they land and throw on the reverse thrusters if the wind blows right and there's a temp inversion. 

Been in Springfield...closer to Wilbraham the past several months. It stopped now but it was consistent from when I woke up (a bit after 7 until about 20-30 min ago). 

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

I wonder if BDL can pull off a sneaky 3-day heat wave...Sunday could get close to 90. Looks like another round of ~90 possible late next week.

What we're seeing in the guidance 'canvas' for this latter August has been stable in the guidance ... dating back some 2 weeks really.  The projection back then looked as though more pedestrian heat would fashion the return dress... basically to finish out the summer.  The snarks amongst us would diminish the notion in a breeze of 'well that's the climate timing anyway' typology but no.  It's going to be above normal - most likely - during.  And that still seems to be the case.

So the big heat would come to an end.   Since ..the 'coastal' ( if we wanna call it that ) did emerge in the interim, as an additional distraction.  Frankly, this was really more of large sprawling, more modest +PP anomaly that enveloped over S. Canada. It orchestrated a broadly oriented E flow across really everywhere below the 50th parallel ... Kind of an interesting way to move from an en masse westerly-sourced heat signal, like a planetary correction.  But once that set up, it instantiated a basal baroclinically unstable environment, along the OV to NE axis underneath...

What the coastal lacked amid that region was sufficiently strong enough mechanics to really work within that favorable environment. Also, cold air.  Moving cold air from E to W, N of warm air, along better defined boundaries are key circumstances.  Nonetheless, enough cooling onshore flow did augment this interim 'mild-down' to push that correction vibe further.  Really could have used the rain ... though.

I'm not personally too concerned over the 3 month drying just yet. We need to press this through the autumn, then successfully strand the region in a dearth winter before I do - deeper hydro is minimally impacted - unless that's suddenly changed in the last 96 hours... Am aware we are in the top 5 ( as of last check ) driest JJA.  

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Been in Springfield...closer to Wilbraham the past several months. It stopped now but it was consistent from when I woke up (a bit after 7 until about 20-30 min ago). 

I’ve heard stuff like that in greenfield in the past. I attribute it to the railroad yard down in Deerfield rearranging out of commission cars or whatever.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Warm today.  

Very sad as our beloved doggie had to be put down yesterday evening.   14 happy years with so many snow memories. RIP Honey.

Ugh, sorry to hear Jerry. I remember all those posts about you going for a walk in the snow with him. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

What we're seeing in the guidance 'canvas' for this latter August has been stable in the guidance ... dating back some 2 weeks really.  The projection back then looked as though more pedestrian heat would fashion the return dress... basically to finish out the summer.  The snarks amongst us would diminish the notion in a breeze of 'well that's the climate timing anyway' typology but no.  It's going to be above normal - most likely - during.  And that still seems to be the case.

So the big heat would come to an end.   Since ..the 'coastal' ( if we wanna call it that ) did emerge in the interim, as an additional distraction.  Frankly, this was really more of large sprawling, more modest +PP anomaly that enveloped over S. Canada. It orchestrated a broadly oriented E flow across really everywhere below the 50th parallel ... Kind of an interesting way to move from an en masse westerly-sourced heat signal, like a planetary correction.  But once that set up, it instantiated a basal baroclinically unstable environment, along the OV to NE axis underneath...

What the coastal lacked amid that region was sufficiently strong enough mechanics to really work within that favorable environment. Also, cold air.  moving cold air from E to west N of warn air is key.  Nonetheless, enough onshore flow did augment this interim 'mild-down' to push that correct vibe further.  Really could have used the rain ... though.

I'm not personally too concerned over the 3 month drying just yet. We need to press this through the autumn, then successfully strand the region in a dearth winter before I do - deeper hydro is minimally impacted - unless that's suddenly changed in the last 96 hours... Am aware we are in the top 5 ( as of last check ) driest JJA.  

The signal for late August into September has been pretty strong. Looks like another go around of over-the-top warmth too. Some of the anomalies well into Canada are quite impressive. Prior to this though there does seem to be a window of potential for some increased precipitation chances here (and for the drought crowd that doesn't mean everyone is seeing rain), but once we get back into the hotter/more humid pattern, looks like we'll re-establish a westerly-to-northwesterly flow aloft which is not very good for widespread rain chances here. What we really need is a deep SW flot through the column. 

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

Warm today.  

Very sad as our beloved doggie had to be put down yesterday evening.   14 happy years with so many snow memories. RIP Honey.

Sorry to hear. It’s brutal yet we keep getting dogs because their unconditional love far outweighs the eventual sorrow of losing them.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Sorry to hear. It’s brutal yet we keep getting dogs because their unconditional love far outweighs the eventual sorrow of losing them.

Yup. I can never live without a dog. We lost one of ours two months ago, now we have two. 

14yrs is a good run though Jerry and the memories last forever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1