Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Discussion/Obs

weatherwiz

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I have not but I thought nina is projected to strengthen as we head into the season but as stated, I’ll let the experts do their thing. I’m just over nina and having to perfectly time northern stream dominated phase jobs…and would prefer to shuffle it up with a weak The nino instead. Ray says that’s coming winter 23/24.

This la nina will die quickly this winter...it won't get beyond moderate. 

I think the Nino next season will be stronger than weak.

3 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Man, it would be awesome if we could keep the 1992 parallel going...get an Andrew, then transition into a 92-93 type winter. I think we would all sign immediately.....save for maybe Scooter :lol:

That was a cool-neutral ENSO, so not too far off.

If it could combine Nov-Jan 07-08 with Feb-Apr 92-93, wow!  However, the local co-op had totaled only 15" snow thru Jan 31 (07-08 had 72") with but a single storm greater than 2".  Also, the final week of that month had only traces OG - no measurable in January is exceedingly rare there.  Then Feb onward featured 6 storms of 12-18", 109" total and a pack that climbed to 56" as the Superstorm pulled away, tied with March 1971 for 2nd tallest.  (The 84" in Feb 1969 is untouchable.)

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Pretty much a non event in my area...just gusty rain...it tracked too far east.

We lived in Gardiner Maine then, and Bob dumped 6.41", biggest calendar day I've recorded, 1962 onward.  Gusts probably reached 60, ranking it in my "2nd tier" of strong winds, with Hazel, Doria and the 4/82 blizzard.  (Top tier includes the 1950 Apps gale and the NW winds behind the BGR blizzard on 12/31/62 - the 5/-8 temp on that day was also pretty cold for NNJ.)  Bob was also my only TC experience in which the backside NW winds were equally as strong as the SE front, though about 95% of the RA came before the shift.

Thoughts on "ratters" - depends on expectations and variability.  I'd guess than getting <60% of an average of 45-50" occurs maybe a quarter of the winters.  60% of the Farmington co-op average would rank 122nd of 130 winters there.  At CAR, 60% would land between 80th and 81st out of 82 winters.  50% would set a new record.

• Like 3

I miss canes so much  It’s my favorite thing to track and experience . I would give anything to have been here for 1938 and the 50’s and 60’s with all those direct hits. I keep telling myself this year is the year .. and then it’s not. Year after year. I am infatuated with strong and damaging wind. I get it’s a sickness and admit it. But I do hope I get to see one before it’s my time 

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I miss canes so much  It’s my favorite thing to track and experience . I would give anything to have been here for 1938 and the 50’s and 60’s with all those direct hits. I keep telling myself this year is the year .. and then it’s not. Year after year. I am infatuated with strong and damaging wind. I get it’s a sickness and admit it. But I do hope I get to see one before it’s my time 

We all love big winds and damage.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s hard to even comprehend how crazy a repeat of ‘38 up here would be. 

There’s just something about tropical that’s always fascinated me. September is the best wx month for me and it’s not even close. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It’s hard to even comprehend how crazy a repeat of ‘38 up here would be. 

There’s just something about tropical that’s always fascinated me. September is the best wx month for me and it’s not even close. 

Yeah man .. I agree . September without a cane to me is one of the worst months because summer is ending and there’s usually not much severe and it’s generally just sunny and boring. April is my least favorite. September is 2nd least favorite . Unless we get a cane 

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah man .. I agree . September without a cane to me is one of the worst months because summer is ending and there’s usually not much severe and it’s generally just sunny and boring. April is my least favorite. September is 2nd least favorite . Unless we get a cane 

September is usually very summerlike in SNE.    The only big change is daylight.   

I personally enjoy Sept and October quite a bit.    November and April and get lost

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

31 years is just an inordinate amount of time. I think about it all the time. At some point .. it has to go back to New England hits . Even just 1. It’s got to happen 

Lots of places are more overdue . You wanna see a big strong cane gotta go to Bahamas , Cuba , Dominican . Let’s schedule a group chase lol

There is over a 50% shot I travel for a chase this year 

42 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Lots of places are more overdue . You wanna see a big strong cane gotta go to Bahamas , Cuba , Dominican . Let’s schedule a group chase lol

There is over a 50% shot I travel for a chase this year 

You can probably argue that we were due for a long dead period after that 30s-50s stretch.

• Like 3