Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

1 hour ago, bristolri_wx said:

I totally understand people liking warm, even hot weather. But why-the-f$!? does anyone like high dew points? You people enjoy ball dripping sweat all day? I honestly don’t get it. Dry heat beats swamp ass dew points by a mile…

Down to 67 here with the breeze. Quite pleasant! Only got to about 80 here but humid. Glad to be near nature’s air conditioning… was in Brooklyn CT for a party today for a few hours and it was 90!

I think there's two.

Screenshot_20220521-220828_Chrome.jpg (1).png

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Looks like still some weak E flow for much of ME/NH outside of the SW NH zones until late morning tomorrow.

It was drawn on the surface analysis this afternoon, along with being mentioned briefly in some SPC discussions. It not only kept the heat out but kept the svr away. As others have mentioned, it backed in yesterday and for all intents and purposes was a backdoor.

17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

You can see how the Euro (and other models) lost the high end heat for much of the area beginning 00z last night. Too much Atlantic taint.

satheatfail.gif

Thursday evening the forecasts were for low to mid 90s today in Bridgton/Fryeburg area, but IZG was only able to muster 84.

sfc.png

1st rumbles of the year last evening between 9 and 10.  Saw one nice C-C bolt running horizontally, counted to 61 before the noise arrived.  That's about as close (10-12 miles) as the storm got before either dying or sliding to our south.  Typical.   Cellphone popped up with a tor warning ("take cover immediately!") about 7:30, but no location given.  There'd been a SVR warning earlier for a storm some 20 miles NW from Moosehead.

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

This is how you dew it. 

My rescue Chihuahua/Dachshund from Mississippi was in his glory yesterday.  Specifically picks the hottest black part of the patio to embrace his dews. 

Screenshot_20220522-061924_Gallery.jpg

My Arkansas rescue does the same thing, she lays right in full sun on these hot days. She is half Rhodesian Ridgeback too so it could be that too.

Looking and comparing E regional obs, it appears wherever decoupled overnight - and those close to and E of that boundary Saguaro posted above were more proficient in the regard - end up back in a N drift. Those closer to the coast, variable between NE-SE.  W of that boundary, the weakly decoupled area was more variable to dead calm.

Yet, ....WPC analyzed the synoptic weird boundary that seems to fester with physics disconnected from God ( :wacko2: ), repositioned farther NE up into southern Maine.   Sarcasm aside, that boundary does not really reflect these meso scale circumstances that are still plaguing the 'warm stretch.'

What I am also noticing this morning, as we heat up... as the temperature rises to between 78 and 80 ( now ), sites are showing a flip to WSW ...albeit very light.  ORH at 1000 feet is WSW the whole way.   One thing this whole ordeal apparently lacked was a strong enough llv gradient to drive the wind field/fronts along. This is a stagnated scenario, or close to it.  The air quality around the region as the yellowed sun rises through it is pretty 'ozoney' for only having DPs in the mid 60s ...and I think that makes sense given the lack of sufficient mixing associated with that former reasoning. 

As we continue to warm, the feeble deeper layer environmental wind momentum may just be enough to mix out that stranded air mass over eastern zones ... I dunno mid day.   Nashua was 73 with an E flag wobble zephyr;  Bedford popped to 79 and went WSW.

2 hours ago, BrianW said:

This is how you dew it. 

My rescue Chihuahua/Dachshund from Mississippi was in his glory yesterday.  Specifically picks the hottest black part of the patio to embrace his dews. 

Screenshot_20220522-061924_Gallery.jpg

Thank you for rescuing. Chihuahuas love the heat. Our two stay in the sun all the time.

Over arcing synoptic ridging is suppressing anything from happening over CNE/SNE, so far through this period, yet is insufficient in kinematically driving an offshore wind.  Which allows an oceanic creep to move into into eastern regions like at scene out of that B- '80 horror called "The Fog"

Great.  So we desiccate in cool misery.  

Actually, not me here in Ayer - I'm commiserating for the E and SE folk, where clearly ... modeling was not sophisticated enough to see these oddities nuance them out of this summer burst before it really became clear in very short term, that would be the case.  They should get some this afternoon - me thinks.

I've been literally right on that interface between the two worlds.  Drive up to Westford's Wholefoods ( lest I rely upon the local 'rural' Americana 'canned ravioli' chains ..), which is immediately astride I-495 there ...and you can sometimes smell the mash-up between eastern mass industrial effusion and marine taint, and it's routinely 7 to 10 F cooler.  That location is only about 7 mi E of my longitude.   Yesterday was about 87, though, while we were 91.