Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Overrunning Event 02/03-02/04/22

dryslot

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Happens almost every winter in interior CT.. we’ve seen 3-6” of it some storms 

I believe you though my experience in Interior CT is limited. I lived a larger number of years in Rhode Island and note that Interior CT is a little bit more exciting, as it is more continental just enough to make a difference. The climate of Tolland I imagine extends through Willimantic and reaches Woonsocket before it goes marine-influential.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Upton thinking advisory level ice is possible for their northern zones. Far from the ice storm warnings a select few are wishing for. 

No thanks on the ice storm warnings.  Would rather one of those fish falling from the sky events than an ice storm.  That one we had in 2008 was the last one of those I ever need to see…in a lifetime.

At least you can make snow cones with sleet…right?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, wx_observer said:

No thanks on the ice storm warnings.  Would rather one of those fish falling from the sky events than an ice storm.  That one we had in 2008 was the last one of those I ever need to see…in a lifetime.

At least you can make snow ones with sleet…right?

Snowstorms are relatively safe enough to enjoy and feel good about. The casualties of major ice storms make them profoundly unwanted, if not tragic, as immediate effects to humans. Though I gather that ice storms actually act as some sort of cleansing and processing of deciduous ecosystems.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IowaStorm05 said:

Snowstorms are relatively safe enough to enjoy and feel good about. The casualties of major ice storms make them profoundly unwanted, if not tragic, as immediate effects to humans. Though I gather that ice storms actually act as some sort of cleansing and processing of deciduous ecosystems.

That 2008 storm did take down a lot of the weaker trees, for sure.  That was right around when the longhorn beetle showed up in MA—wonder if that storm slowed down or sped up the spread of the beetle with all the downed trees that got moved around.

23 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

I wouldn't sweat the ice.  ip for all

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wx_observer said:

At least you can make snow cones with sleet…right?

Agree. ZR is terrible and does nothing for me. Sleet, on the other hand, is still fun and can whiten the landscape.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

My personal favorite snowstorm in my years living in VT.  There’s a good correlation between fun snowstorms up here and monster sleet events down there.

The correlation is almost as strong as smoking cirrus up here and monster snowstorms down there :lol:.

Initial thump from that storm was perfect snow crystals, like 10” in 3 hours.  I remember snowshoeing in it and realizing we were in for a big one.

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

That was the all timer.  And then relentless cold keeping walkways treacherous for weeks.

I have talked about V-day 07 for its lack of snow for Westerly. But what I have not mentioned was that it placed a thin sheet of ice on roofs, driveways and other surfaces. A similar phenomenon happened here in Willi in early 2020 albeit was a much smaller storm. What is notable about these two events with their ice is that the layer of ice sat on top of an underside composed of liquid water. Water of slight but various depth would pool or run underneath the crust of ice.

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

That was the all timer.  And then relentless cold keeping walkways treacherous for weeks.

It really was, for all of the Northeast I think that didn't get snowed on of course.

Even in NNJ we got over 4" of sleet! I remember walking to a friend's house which was less than 0.25 miles away and I was so exhausted and shot after walking in it. It really is fascinating.

Maybe this will be a toned-down version of that. A lot of sleet coming I think.