Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Overrunning Event 02/03-02/04/22

dryslot

9 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

It’s been pretty good this year honestly. I want ice and snow pack just as badly as you do. It’s not looking good. 

It’s looked like rain to start for all of SNE.. perhaps a bit north into CNE.. I’ve never once thought it wasn’t going to rain. I have not agreed with warm 50’s inches of rain and dews wiping out the snowpack to ORH like these guys have happening .We’ve all been on these boards and into wx long enough to know when you don’t have a wrapped up storm and weaker waves the cold drains, presses happen earlier than modeled almost always. I’m not expecting any snow at all except maybe at the tail end unless colder trends continue . For now I’m thinking rain to zr to sleet ending as snow. Is that so far off base? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, JC-CT said:

I'm not an expert at all at figuring out sleet vs freezing rain...but this is a pretty deep cold layer, no? ptype algo is showing FZRA but I'm guessing it's an IP/FZ mix.

hrrr_2022020218_047_41.82--72.33.png

Ya it depends exactly how warm we get too.

Outta thread but I almost had a heart attack I thought I loaded the wrong map I thought it was hrrr but it was gfs at hour 300 and it has a major ice storm like 2” of ice. Whoops.. here’s hrrr

016F228F-D1DE-413B-A677-D8184A8F51B7.png

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s looked like rain to start for all of SNE.. perhaps a bit north into CNE.. I’ve never once thought it wasn’t going to rain. I have not agreed with warm 50’s inches but f rain and dews wiping out the snowpack to ORH. We’ve all been on these boards and into wx long enough to know when you don’t have a wrapped up storm and weaker waves the cold drains, pressed happen earlier than modeled almost always. I’m not expecting any snow at all except maybe at the tail end unless colder trends continue . For now I’m thinking rain to zr to sleet ending as snow. Is that so far off base? 

It's going to start as rain to Canada. It's literally already raining all along Canadian border in NY state.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s looked like rain to start for all of SNE.. perhaps a bit north into CNE.. I’ve never once thought it wasn’t going to rain. I have not agreed with warm 50’s inches of rain and dews wiping out the snowpack to ORH like these guys have happening .We’ve all been on these boards and into wx long enough to know when you don’t have a wrapped up storm and weaker waves the cold drains, pressed happen earlier than modeled almost always. I’m not expecting any snow at all except maybe at the tail end unless colder trends continue . For now I’m thinking rain to zr to sleet ending as snow. Is that so far off base? 

No that’s what Im thinking you have more wiggle room though maybe a few hours with dews and torch while I may get 4-8 hours. 

1 minute ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Outta thread but I almost had a heart attack I thought I loaded the wrong map I thought it was hrrr but it was gfs at hour 300 and it has a major ice storm like 2” of ice. Whoops.. here’s hrrr

That's qpf right? Not accretion?

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s looked like rain to start for all of SNE.. perhaps a bit north into CNE.. I’ve never once thought it wasn’t going to rain. I have not agreed with warm 50’s inches of rain and dews wiping out the snowpack to ORH like these guys have happening .We’ve all been on these boards and into wx long enough to know when you don’t have a wrapped up storm and weaker waves the cold drains, presses happen earlier than modeled almost always. I’m not expecting any snow at all except maybe at the tail end unless colder trends continue . For now I’m thinking rain to zr to sleet ending as snow. Is that so far off base? 

Nice spin. That's what we all have been saying while you were dead set on a big ice storm and posting zr clowns. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

saw that GFS fantasy on weather.cod   that was a crusher but 12 days away

5 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

I'm not an expert at all at figuring out sleet vs freezing rain...but this is a pretty deep cold layer, no? ptype algo is showing FZRA but I'm guessing it's an IP/FZ mix.

hrrr_2022020218_047_41.82--72.33.png

That's a close call...the warm layer is also pretty fat on that and approaching 5C...gets hard to refreeze into pellets when that happens.....BUT, the cold layer is REALLY cold. It is even harder to NOT refreeze into pellets when your cold layer is -8C. Typically when the cold layer gets to -6C or so, ZR becomes difficult unless the -6C layer is right near the ground, which in this case it is not.

So I'd prob say that is a sleet sounding....though maybe sort of a mix of sleet and ZR is possible too, but I'd be surprised if that was mostly ZR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's a close call...the warm layer is also pretty fat on that and approaching 5C...gets hard to refreeze into pellets when that happens.....BUT, the cold layer is REALLY cold. It is even harder to NOT refreeze into pellets when your cold layer is -8C. Typically when the cold layer gets to -6C or so, ZR becomes difficult unless the -6C layer is right near the ground, which in this case it is not.

So I'd prob say that is a sleet sounding....though maybe sort of a mix of sleet and ZR is possible too, but I'd be surprised if that was mostly ZR.

Makes sense - it's both the height of the warm and cold layers, plus how warm and cold they are.

12 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

That's a nice cold tuck into E MA on the hrrr. If we get the meso oriented like that it's gonna be a violent drop. NE G25-30KT near the NH seacoast. 

Word!

outlined this earlier myself... and no model really is going to 'nail' the lowest 1,000 feet with extraordinary precision wrt floor jets

2 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

ya really cold run night and day compared to 12z

Could be - as in maybe ... - a beginning collapse back SE as it's out ranges get nearer. I have been concerned about this guidance' tendency in the +48 hours to be too far NW with frontal positions and cyclone tracks - just reiterating.. - as plausibly doing so in this overall scenario.

not sure.. it's the NAM and it could be giga motions too.  Need a couple of more cycles and some help from the GFS ( I'm a little put off by the Euro right now - )

• Like 2