Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
New England Overrunning Event 02/03-02/04/22

dryslot

1 minute ago, ineedsnow said:

actually much colder

needs to be put in the context of how much a complete torch it was at 0z/6z, or it's not particularly useful information. The most extreme model on either side should be expected to adjust towards the center.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yes, I did mention that....and we often see late shifts north on these. The most "interesting" aspect of the storm in SNE is now all about the frontal boundary at the surface.....if we meso-low this thing with a finger of low pressure over the Cape and into the waters east of BOS, then it's going to be a lot of icing (sleet may cut down though?)..

15z RAP shows you how it's done. Cold air from the north, meet warm air from the south. Hello ice. Tolland-approved.

• Like 2

Separate 'operational' question...

At what point ( also ) do we begin to justly questioning the Euro due to performance?   The impetus for 'needing to ask' is because it's spent 20 years as the MVP model - it's kind of institutional.  The last 2 of which ...particularly, 1 years, have begun to shake the foundation ( maybe?).  Or, the other model skills have elevated and are competitive.   So there may be some relativity to it.. 

Plus, the last system and this one have 0 comparative synoptic root causality ... other than the fact that they both are occurring in Terran atmosphere. Heh.   I mean ... should the old adage of 'past performance doesn't justify present response' apply?   I think it does though in some sense.  If a model is getting increasingly untrustworthy ... you'd better still modulate that into one's reasoning...  Duh.

The other aspect is the verification scoring method - I don't know... Is that done as a globally integrated qualitative thing...?  Or is x-y-z model also examined in quadrature.  Like, maybe the Euro is so flawless out over the open expanse of the Saharan African continent, that it soars its average ( sarcasm...), but just between ORD-BOS and the Del Marva, it has a weird weakness that it doesn't carry on with anywhere else on the planet. 

Man, the way I remember the last storm:  the Euro had no clue for the first 4 days of the thing.. Then, suddenly, at D5 or 6 ( so I guess it gets a pass?)  it sees it hugely and slams the EC with a history blah blah blah... Then, it insists that way for 3 days... while the GFS never was that emphatic. It had weaker, stress coherence low organization... with problems extending impacts N-W ... sometimes even missing altogether, which has its own concern ... But in the end, the Euro demonstrated clear, over all poorer performamce consistency, and ultimately .. wrongness - sorry it just did.  The GFS was not perfect, but it scored better in my anecdotal recall -

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

15z RAP shows you how it's done. Cold air from the north, meet warm air from the south. Hello ice. Tolland-approved.

We'll see how the rap performs. it does zr/ip quite a bit after 1" of rain but we're also still digging out from it's Saturday performance out here when it was dumping 18-24" at nowcast time. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

We'll see how the rap performs. it does zr/ip quite a bit after 1" of rain but we're also still digging out from it's Saturday performance out here when it was dumping 18-24" at nowcast time. 

Sure, I'm just pointing out a model that happens to show the scenario

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

This thing is a total disaster….models all over the place. Flip a coin for god sakes. Model disaster this season…zero agreement/continuity.  

And it's terrible weather for us too. It isnt fun like snow. Its cold rain or even worse, ice and other nasties. I fear the horrible prospects of the need to travel at the height of this.