Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OBS/DISCO - The Historic James Blizzard of 2022

TalcottWx

4 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

I don’t know how to measure it beyond my own ideas of trying to calculate how much moved off of the open areas. A lot of open areas only have around 8 to 12 inches which I measured using a yard stick. This is less than I eyeballed an hour ago. There were a couple parking spots that had a flat 10 inches when I measured those 3 hours ago but they’ve since been disturbed.

you should take an average of a few different measurements in the open areas

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Is their an objective standard for “frequent”? 

I used to just look to see if it gusted to 35 each hour but not sure if there is a more stringent standard. 

If it’s gusts at least 35 mph each hour, Worcester would verify between 7:54 am - 3:54 pm. (Airport)

https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KORH.html

15 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

you should take an average of a few different measurements in the open areas

I have done that.... around 9 inches is what it seems to be... But I know that can't be right because of all the drifts every which way.... because a lot of these open areas have remained about the same depth over a several hour period in which it was snowing moderately to heavily... It is just the drifts that have grown a bunch. I know that at this location if I only take an average of open areas is just going to give a major underrepresentation of what fell. I know that comes off a bit weenie... But it really is those drifts that have done the growin with the wind and all.

I think that the surrounding topography spanning a couple hundred yard radius caused some of the snow to be lifted from my premises by the wind this time, based on surrounding reports and how hard I have seen it coming down all day.

But when it actually stops snowing I will do one more measurement and being my final measurement I will measure a bunch more spots and try and check out areas that surround the property.

Coming down harder now, flake seem a bit larger. Visibility is about 1/4 mile. Its been low all day but the flakes have been microscopic. Still a good 10 - 12 by the end, maybe a bit more. My front steps and walk were obliterated ( 3 ft + drifts) while the other side of the house is just a couple of inches.

9 minutes ago, LSC97wxnut said:

Rough estimate from just north and west of the band in Newtonville. Checked a number of spots in the park next to us and found about 10.5". It was around 4" at 10:30.

20220129_161326.jpg

That’s all in newtonville? Wouldve thought at least 15 there by now. Must’ve been a local subby maybe just west of that band earlier. 

Just now, J Paul Gordon said:

Coming down harder now, flake seem a bit larger. Visibility is about 1/4 mile. Its been low all day but the flakes have been microscopic. Still a good 10 - 12 by the end, maybe a bit more. My front steps and walk were obliterated ( 3 ft + drifts) while the other side of the house is just a couple of inches.

Are you in Oxford?

2 minutes ago, metagraphica said:

Was out earlier and measured an average of a little over 13".  Still snowing nicely but never managed to get in the heaviest bands today and had a few short periods of sand.  If this keeps up might make 15" or so.

Very similar here. Snow was always heavier than radar appeared and I am convinced it’s the wind . Like when Hanrahan posted what he thought was subby hole over this area.. the heavier echoes to the NE were falling here and that subsidence was actually to the west / SW over Ellington: Rockville/ Vernon.  Snowing quite hard currently . Down to 9.1 degrees 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

I’m not far from green hill…same thing here.  Bigger flakes, low visibility, but less wind.  The flakes are finally falling more vertical than horizontal.

2 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

I have done that.... around 9 inches is what it seems to be... But I know that can't be right because of all the drifts every which way.... because a lot of these open areas have remained about the same depth over a several hour period in which it was snowing moderately to heavily... It is just the drifts that have grown a bunch. I feel like an average of open areas is just going to give a major underrepresentation of what fell. I know that comes off a bit weenie... But it really is those drifts that have done the growin with the wind and all.

you don't measure the drifts lol