Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS/DISCO - The Historic James Blizzard of 2022

TalcottWx

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Logan may not beat all time due to wind and it took a little while to get into band 

I'm not saying this for Logan but in general snowfall totals with this storm are going to be all over the place.  Unless you are a really seasoned observer and know how to do it right a storm with 50mph gusts and temperatures in the teens will make it very hard to accurately do, especially when you get into the 1/10ths of inches.

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

I'm not saying this for Logan but in general snowfall totals with this storm are going to be all over the place.  Unless you are a really seasoned observer and know how to do it right a storm with 50mph gusts and temperatures in the teens will make it very hard to accurately do, especially when you get into the 1/10ths of inches.

That and because of the banding, it's going to be interesting to see final totals.

Part of the driveway is still blown clear to pavement, the rest is buried to undiscernable levels.   Living at the base of a T shaped intersection:  1 street has a plowed swipe down  it - at least for now.  The other is blocked by previous plow ridges and  is unreadable variable height ridges of drifting and previous plowing attempts.  The birds are still being blown off the birdfeeders. 

The birds holding their perches are going to be my time to shovel indicators.

24 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

Several earlier posts about surface low position, it is actually about 50 miles east of Provincetown at around 970 mb. Any satellite indication of a center over the Cape is some merging upper low circulation. Winds at the buoy 54 miles southeast of ACK have remained northerly as the low tracked past just to their east. Buoy at George's Bank has no temps or wind but pictures available show it sunny with distant high cloud, imagine they are SSE 40-60 and 50 F there. The buoy 78 miles east of Portsmouth NH has east winds 47-57 knots, Boston harbour buoy has N winds 45-55. 

From 12z GFS still the idea of a track due north tucking more into the NH-ME coast before sharply turning northeast around 03z. This storm will continue to rage with pivoting and rotating bands until then. Hopefully some of the bands will drift to new areas to share the wealth a bit. Otherwise the results will be something like a coastal band of 35-45 inch totals, a sub zone of 15-25, and another band of 20-30 perhaps west of that. 

Epic storm from this distance, I would hate to be a five minute drive from a death band but I lived in the Lake Huron- Ggn Bay snowbelt for a few years and got into situations like this where house had zero snow and the town 10 miles to my southwest had 20" with a 30" max another five miles south of that. Then another day would see the exact opposite with me in the max and them fringed. 

Whether it's highlighted in forecasts or not, I don't know, but winds in the NH and Maine coastal areas are going to ramp up severely this afternoon and evening as that part of the gradient gets tightened by interaction of the coastal gradient and inland topography. That buoy east of Portsmouth has been gradually ramping up all day (now 47-57 knots). 

Coastal Maine is likely to have a very impressive death band close to the US 2 Portland to Bath (going on distant memory hope that's still there). 

Uh...really.  What are your sources?   That doesn't jive with this:  90fwbg.gif

I don’t believe we are gonna jack but should be a solid foot when it winds down. This is within modeled possibilities but still a far cry from the clown NAM I got psyched out by. 

On the other hand I don’t know how much longer it’s gonna keep snowing and at this point I stop tracking it so closely because I don’t like the dopamine drain of seeing a back edge. There’s gotta be around 11 inches average at this point now.

C7175396-65DB-4622-9BB7-43B6F9923AFA.jpeg

ED8AD783-1AF7-4B35-8ED9-9AA46828720E.jpeg

• Like 1