Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS/DISCO - The Historic James Blizzard of 2022

TalcottWx

Just now, Diggiebot said:

It’s def picked up here in Dennis. Between the wind and steadier snow it’s complete whiteout here. I think the radar is finally back building some so I think we get a last hurrah here the next few hours. 

Oh for sure, we’ll be in this moderate stuff for a while, but the stuff on the other side of the Canal is the good stuff. At these temps, wouldn’t doubt 2-4” an hour. 

Just now, CCHurricane said:

Oh for sure, we’ll be in this moderate stuff for a while, but the stuff on the other side of the Canal is the good stuff. At these temps, wouldn’t doubt 2-4” an hour. 

All the bands near us keep merging with the mega band and re-energizing it 

Several earlier posts about surface low position, it is actually about 50 miles east of Provincetown at around 970 mb. Any satellite indication of a center over the Cape is some merging upper low circulation. Winds at the buoy 54 miles southeast of ACK have remained northerly as the low tracked past just to their east. Buoy at George's Bank has no temps or wind but pictures available show it sunny with distant high cloud, imagine they are SSE 40-60 and 50 F there. The buoy 78 miles east of Portsmouth NH has east winds 47-57 knots, Boston harbour buoy has N winds 45-55. 

From 12z GFS still the idea of a track due north tucking more into the NH-ME coast before sharply turning northeast around 03z. This storm will continue to rage with pivoting and rotating bands until then. Hopefully some of the bands will drift to new areas to share the wealth a bit. Otherwise the results will be something like a coastal band of 35-45 inch totals, a sub zone of 15-25, and another band of 20-30 perhaps west of that. 

Epic storm from this distance, I would hate to be a five minute drive from a death band but I lived in the Lake Huron- Ggn Bay snowbelt for a few years and got into situations like this where house had zero snow and the town 10 miles to my southwest had 20" with a 30" max another five miles south of that. Then another day would see the exact opposite with me in the max and them fringed. 

Whether it's highlighted in forecasts or not, I don't know, but winds in the NH and Maine coastal areas are going to ramp up severely this afternoon and evening as that part of the gradient gets tightened by interaction of the coastal gradient and inland topography. That buoy east of Portsmouth has been gradually ramping up all day (now 47-57 knots). 

Coastal Maine is likely to have a very impressive death band close to the US 2 Portland to Bath (going on distant memory hope that's still there). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NeonPeon said:

Back door completely snowed in due to drifting. As soon as the wind dies a little more I'm going to remove the fire hazard.

Very good point.  Check to make sure you have viable exits, clear of drifting. My great aunt had a chimney fire (during a wind/snow storm) that spread to the structure of the house way back in the 1960s.  She and her husband had to exit through a window.  

4 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

Several earlier posts about surface low position, it is actually about 50 miles east of Provincetown at around 970 mb. Any satellite indication of a center over the Cape is some merging upper low circulation. Winds at the buoy 54 miles southeast of ACK have remained northerly as the low tracked past just to their east. Buoy at George's Bank has no temps or wind but pictures available show it sunny with distant high cloud, imagine they are SSE 40-60 and 50 F there. The buoy 78 miles east of Portsmouth NH has east winds 47-57 knots, Boston harbour buoy has N winds 45-55. 

From 12z GFS still the idea of a track due north tucking more into the NH-ME coast before sharply turning northeast around 03z. This storm will continue to rage with pivoting and rotating bands until then. Hopefully some of the bands will drift to new areas to share the wealth a bit. Otherwise the results will be something like a coastal band of 35-45 inch totals, a sub zone of 15-25, and another band of 20-30 perhaps west of that. 

Epic storm from this distance, I would hate to be a five minute drive from a death band but I lived in the Lake Huron- Ggn Bay snowbelt for a few years and got into situations like this where house had zero snow and the town 10 miles to my southwest had 20" with a 30" max another five miles south of that. Then another day would see the exact opposite with me in the max and them fringed. 

Whether it's highlighted in forecasts or not, I don't know, but winds in the NH and Maine coastal areas are going to ramp up severely this afternoon and evening as that part of the gradient gets tightened by interaction of the coastal gradient and inland topography. That buoy east of Portsmouth has been gradually ramping up all day (now 47-57 knots). 

Coastal Maine is likely to have a very impressive death band close to the US 2 Portland to Bath (going on distant memory hope that's still there). 

Fantastic post.  970mb.   I wonder what the differences would have been if the center had been just a bit closer and down to the mid 950's as some of the earler model runs this week.  Even still an epic storm.  

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

Fantastic post.  970mb.   I wonder what the differences would have been if the center had been just a bit closer and down to the mid 950's as some of the earler model runs this week.  Even still an epic storm.  

more snow for everyone. more wind for everyone.