Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS/DISCO - The Historic James Blizzard of 2022

TalcottWx

35 minutes ago, NeonPeon said:

So as far as I can see, this was Newports record ever one-day storm total at 21", just edging out '78 for the top spot.

To give a frame of reference, this is double an average January total of snow, and is two thirds of an average yearly snowfall. 

I'll remember this forever. I've had bigger snowfalls when I lived in upstate new York, many of them. But it matters more when its an underdog. I'm absolutely exhausted from the whole day, and the fact that this is my kids first ever proper snowstorm is amazing. He could not fathom how much snow there was, or what could be done with it.

Congrats! I had a good feeling about this one for you, though no clue it would be a record breaker. This arctic air mass made the difference.

5 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

Congrats! I had a good feeling about this one for you, though no clue it would be a record breaker. This arctic air mass made the difference.

I echo this sentiment. Awesome storm for the UUU crowd and NeonPeon. Having young kids myself, I really appreciate the snowfalls more since I get to watch them go crazy in it. 

• Like 3

Will be interesting to see how NWS Boston handles their final snow map.

2 of the 3 reported Cape Cod numbers are definitively before the best returns of the day occurred, where I’d expect another 3-6” was added.

Solid recovery for a storm that had a difficult start down here due to temps.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, radarman said:

I haven't had any snow under the western band.  Looking at the UMass radar maybe a little further south of here in Palmer it might be snowing under there.  Also maybe at ORE.

What did you end up with? 

It's a little odd NWS BOX does not have a single report from Hampshire or Franklin Counties.  Are they deleting because their forecast was so off here?  :lol:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The end is near now. You can tell we’re on the western side of it and it’s also weakening a little to boot. Vis up substantially in the last 5 min. 

Those conditions earlier reminded me of the final band in January 05, but this lasted hours. I don’t recall the last time we had conditions like that with those temps, wind, and rates of snow.

34 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

9" down, 21" depth, -1, gusting over 30.

No whiff here.

Man, you really maximized this one. You could see the upslope returns all day up there.

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah that modeled low QPF did not happen there. That’s awesome to see. Glad for you guys down by UUU.

Some good old Dendrite mid level magic QPF for you. 

• Like 2