joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 6/7 "Event" and obs

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

They may have a different warning criteria

30 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Canaan isn't under a watch or anything? Are they just a bit too far east to cash in on the 6-10" totals with this one? What resorts are over there, not as familiar with the WV options. 

NewWinterStorm12.thumb.png.22ba832677a4adac6c7715fe32861981.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, chris21 said:

It’s 12z run snow maps are a bit wonky. It depicts .2-.3 qpf with temps below freezing and little or no snow accumulation.

yea, that doesn't make sense and i agree wholeheartedly with others that we should be tracking the precip maps vs these snow maps that will likely be wrong since this is clearly going to be dependent on where any/if moderate bands develop (which could also be elevation dependent especially if the surface low tracks too far south/east).

18 minutes ago, CentralVaNATS said:

Heading up there Mon and Tues.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I was there for 8 days Christmas to New Years Day. Never got below freezing and i watched the slopes degrade to almost nothing as the week went on. Then came back to a foot of snow 2 days later in Montclair. Crazy lol

1 hour ago, Ji said:

any chance we outdo 10:1 ratios?

Yes but only if we end up in one of likely 2 bands. Even with very cold temps places that end up in a subsidence zone between bands won’t get good ratios because of poor snow growth.  That will cause an even greater disparity than those maps indicate. 

There will be a band to the NW fueled by the jet dynamics and a band to the SE fueled by fgen and the developing coastal along the coastal baroclinic boundary. You and I probably want to root for the NW band. I see little chance the coastal helps us. The euro wants to position that NW band nicely for us. Some other guidance puts us in the subsidence zone between the bands. That’s going to be a nowcast thing. But if we get into the jet induced band I could see places go 20-1 and pull some 4-5” totals out of .2-.3 qpf. It happens in these setups. Then a lot of 1-2” totals between there and the coastal band. 

1 hour ago, Rhino16 said:

It will be really good for Snowshoe, as they closed a ton of stuff. They had to close silvercreek for a few days, but it’s reopening at noon.

I’m heading up there for the weekend. They are going to start working on the western territories again tomorrow. Hopefully they get it open by Saturday. Not going up to New England until they get some snow. They had rain and a hard freeze last week and no snow since. I traded in all my skis except for my Atomic Access which are great all terrain skis that handle everything well except ice. But I’ve reached the point I don’t bother going when it’s a sheet of ice anymore. Not worth it. 

6 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Euro with the Parr's Ridge maximum. Nice little event. Our eastern shore peeps get love too. Another plowable snowfall for them.

The euro is the only global that picks that feature up well. You can scroll through the runs and see it has that Parrs ridge qpf max every run. It even does better at that feature than some of the high res models. 

@mappyits going to snow. The question is where the 2 bands set up. We want to root for a healthier jet induced band. The coastal wont do us any good.  If we get into the banding along the arctic boundary we could pull in 3-5” with high ratios. Otherwise if we get stuck in between that band and the coastal we probably get 1-3”.  Where that sets up will be a nowcast thing. Euro likes us better for getting under that band. Gfs wants us in the dead zone. We will see. 

• Like 1