• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 6/7 "Event" and obs

stormtracker

If we could get that MSLP to jog westward even a little, I think we'd be really happy.

1641542400-DNMUVy6n36Q.png

You can start to see the coastal enhancement on the 3k just as the storm get's going, that's what really ends up providing the nice totals D.C-east, from my not-so-expert analysis. Getting that a bit earlier/further west would be nice.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SnowLover22 said:

maybe it sounds crazy but I once stayed up all night just to see it snow and walk out in it. 

Far from crazy. Done this so many times. 1st rule - crack a beer (always bring a second one of course) and Jebwalk for a few hours in the peacefulness of an overnight snowfall. The only thing that comes close to that—a daytime version of it. :snowing:

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

39 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

SREF’s not exactly wetter but a little more expansive with the wetness. And if you rely upon the SREF’s you need help, professional help.

You’ve come to the right place. Someday a clinical psychologist is gonna find this board and make a killing.  

• Haha 5

31 minutes ago, high risk said:

While I don't get too worked up over HRRR snow details 36 hours out, the 18z forecast is consistent with the idea that has been discussed about good amounts to the west with the shortwave dynamics and then a secondary max to the southeast as the coastal low spins up.    Unpleasant screw zone in between, although its totals there would be acceptable, at least to me.  And the band of heavier totals with the coastal low isn't far southeast of I-95 at all....

snodpc_acc.us_ma.thumb.png.37958bfca3415707b4cf912f43ee7bbb.png

This is a  west to east pass by mover with about half the moisture getting scraped off by mountains and rest  deposited here. No gulf nor Atlantic moisture to replenish the moisture once east of mountains 

48 minutes ago, mappy said:

Ha, Ill make it until 11 before saying f-it and go to bed. 

pfft nope. sleep is far too important to me to stay up for snow. i dont even stay up for the euro. the snow will still be there in the morning. 

For me it has to be a very big storm (MECS or HECS) to be worth staying up. I got up super early in January 2016, barely had any sleep, but still managed to enjoy the whole thing up until the very end.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, WinterFire said:

NWS seems to be seeing the dual-band scenario in their latest accumulation maps too: 

image.thumb.png.80837ecfa47f36b5b651c94c3c4538e1.png

Still, I'll take 2-3" and be happy!

NWS also now has what used to be called something else ("90th percentile")? - now it has another name, but for us I contend this should be called (reasonable) BEST case scenario!

image.png.8a66ee0738035f3667dc41a7c5442e67.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, batmanbrad said:

NWS also now has what used to be called something else ("90th percentile")? - now it has another name, but for us I contend this should be called (reasonable) BEST case scenario!

image.png.8a66ee0738035f3667dc41a7c5442e67.png

"Reasonable Worst Case Scenario" WTF is that exactly? Accuracy by obfuscation?

Goodness that's bad. Worst case by whose standards? Does that mean that's the minimum or maximum? I'd be embarrassed as a met to put that out.

40 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

That prime coastal moisture is oh so close to I-95 on the 18z HRRR.

1641542400-97zvwrwG4Nk.png

Maybe this sounds silly, but how much of that moisture "barrier" is due to upsloping from the coastal plain to the fall line? Could the fall line actually be squeezing the limited moisture out from the coastal? Or is it just coincidental positioning?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

it’s not complicated. the majority of the public doesn’t like snow. lots of people have to go to work, no matter what. for them the higher end is a worst case scenario.

the NWS serves the public, not weenies.

It's an awful way to word it. Why not stick with the original designation - 10 percent chance? I'm not surprised honestly but this one is beyond dumb.