• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Small or possibly moderate wintry event possible for a portion of the NYC subforum Friday morning-early afternoon 1/7/22

wdrag

25 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

12z eps members. Gut feeling is we see some adjustments back west come tomorrow. But we'll see. Long way to go in today's modeling world. 

eps_mslp_lows_eastcoastus_72.thumb.png.45c26d4d56be72308bf98a62b8c445b1.png

The fact that the EPS is even further east and weaker than the op is a bad sign. I’m batting a 1,000, thought this would trend west. I guess that very fast, progressive flow will not be denied. Also think this last storm helped to push the baroclinic zone well off shore. I should have known better when last night’s Euro was basically a non event. The Euro may have its moments of being wrong, but I seriously doubt it’s completely out to lunch this close in, especially when the Ukie, RGEM and CMC are showing a very similar scenario. 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

21 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

Just not our winter.

Finding ways for it to not snow

Just now, snowman19 said:

The fact that the EPS is even further east than the op is a bad sign. I’m batting a 1,000, thought this would trend west. I guess that very fast, progressive flow will not be denied. Also think this last storm helped to push the baroclinic zone well off shore. I should have known better when last night’s Euro was basically a non event. The Euro may have its moments of being wrong, but I seriously doubt it’s completely out to lunch this close in, especially when the Ukie, RGEM and CMC are showing a very similar scenario. 

:facepalm:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

This could very easily come storming back west and by this time tomorrow or Thu 0z we’re sweating the rain snow line. Small changes can definitely still happen and make for big changes downstream. The S/W might be sampled as more robust than models have now. 

This last sentence is part of the reason I'm thinking what I'm thinking. It seems like that happens more often than the reverse. 

15 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The fact that the EPS is even further east and weaker than the op is a bad sign. I’m batting a 1,000, thought this would trend west. I guess that very fast, progressive flow will not be denied. Also think this last storm helped to push the baroclinic zone well off shore. I should have known better when last night’s Euro was basically a non event. The Euro may have its moments of being wrong, but I seriously doubt it’s completely out to lunch this close in, especially when the Ukie, RGEM and CMC are showing a very similar scenario. 

robert-downey-jr-humility.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Models just aren’t that good with East Coast winter storm events from more than a day or two out. The Euro had the same suppression bias with the storm on Monday as it had from before the upgrade. The CAMS did much better the day before with the dry air and sharp cutoff of the snow to the north. So the important details of this storm for us may not be known until Thursday. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, forkyfork said:

did everyone forget about the last storm? that didn't trend nw until inside 60 hours

Yeah giving up this far out given the setup is a little silly. 

The last storm may have whiffed on us but it buried parts of NJ & the Mid-Atlantic when models showed almost nothing just a couple days before.

• Weenie 1

48 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Models just aren’t that good with East Coast winter storm events from more than a day or two out. The Euro had the same suppression bias with the storm on Monday as it had from before the upgrade. The CAMS did much better the day before with the dry air and sharp cutoff of the snow to the north. So the important details of this storm for us may not be known until Thursday. 

Maybe we need to create new models for east coast storms like we have specialty hurricane models for TCs?

1 hour ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

Further east? Just this morning we were worried about possible mixing issues! I need a new hobby.

The best is when multiple people are doing play by plays and one person says it's trending west! while the other guy says it's trending east! in back to back posts.

It's all about location, location, location isn't it.

Everyone "sees" what they want to see.

13 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Maybe we need to create new models for east coast storms like we have specialty hurricane models for TCs?

The NAM usually does a pretty good job from around 24hrs out. That’s why I am not a big fan of replacing it with some FV3 based CAM. Not sure why they don’t just stick with the NAM and upgrade it regularly like Canada does with the RGEM. The NAM does a great job when dry air is involved like yesterday. It excels when there is a warm tongue between 900 and 750 mb. And when there is a legit very heavy snow threat like January 2016 it’s a strong performer also. 

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The NAM usually does a pretty good job from around 24hrs out. That’s why I am not a big fan of replacing it with some FV3 based CAM. Not sure why they don’t just stick with the NAM and upgrade it regularly like Canada does with the RGEM. The NAM does a great job when dry air is involved like yesterday. It excels when there is a warm tongue between 900 and 750 mb. And when there is a legit very heavy snow threat like January 2016 it’s a strong performer also. 

Its useful in those very specific situations but it really struggles with overdoing its QPF fairly often too.  

• Like 1