• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Small or possibly moderate wintry event possible for a portion of the NYC subforum Friday morning-early afternoon 1/7/22

wdrag

13 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

You can still put up big numbers if the lift is intense enough. Boston saw a 12” storm in December 03 which was supposed to be 2-4” but instead it snowed 2-4” an hour for a couple hours 

I am always wary these recent years of assuming fast speed means less QPF...this is not 1990 anymore, the warm SSTs in the WATL and other factors are leading to way more banding features in these storms now

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Rich get richer this run. Never thought in a Nina like this that DC to ACY would be on the cusp of significant snow on snow. 

Mind you, 1972-73 was a strong El Nino, but there was this during the winter of NYC's lowest seasonal snowfall:

https://www.weather.gov/ilm/Feb1973Snow

At least one location in Florida got more snow that day than NYC did the entire season.

• Like 1

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

That shortwave is still very strong so it wouldn't shock me to see things amp up as we get closer. 

I do like that models shifted further SE today because it gives us more wiggle room in case things amp up tomorrow or Thursday.

There’s a lead S/W that’s dampening the ridge off the east coast, which might lessen how much this can amp up. Also it’s a progressive overall pattern with the ridge out west nudging the trough east. But there’s still plenty of time for changes that would affect what we each get. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NEG NAO said:

The positives with this storm is the fresh cold air moving in before the storm arrives and the track of the storm - the negative is its a fast mover...........

namconus_z500_vort_us_50.png

If the banding is there for 6 hours, you get as yesterday 1-2 inches/ hour and thunder snow. I have not looked at any 12z guidance.    I guess fast moving will cap max amount at whatever value    but if this times with the morning, there will be big impact.  Note yesterday Fredericksburg. Also this argues my own bias to prep early and that all of us understand in advance the consequences of eliminating the broader range of possibilities. Off line now through 5p.  Have a day. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

That shortwave is still very strong so it wouldn't shock me to see things amp up as we get closer. 

I do like that models shifted further SE today because it gives us more wiggle room in case things amp up tomorrow or Thursday.

If models showed an amped solution today I'd be worried.

Agree with this totally, I actually think this a DC-SNJ jackpot 3 days out usually ends up very good for our area.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, romba said:

RGEM south, scrapes NYC. Not getting my hopes up for more than a couple of inches.

rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_fh72_trend.thumb.gif.502f2a0c091b3b3fa0ac57f66dd6de93.gif

rgem_asnow_neus_fh78_trend.thumb.gif.cf4f773d1511f015a45071a05101ae0d.gif

The models still a bit all over the place, 6z runs were NW, 12Z runs were SE. I think probability of at least 3 inches is pretty good right for immediate tri state area but probably have a better idea of jackpot zone by 0Z tonight or tomorrow. 

5 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

The models still a bit all over the place, 6z runs were NW, 12Z runs were SE. I think probability of at least 3 inches is pretty good right for immediate tri state area but probably have a better idea of jackpot zone by 0Z tonight or tomorrow. 

sure, but I'd obviously rather the all over the place = better runs now when they're honing in on the trajectory, versus better on previous cycles

My thinking is that the track will probably end up a bit south and east of ideal. That said, again southern NJ and eastern Long Island could jackpot with 6-10" in a few spots but more likely 3-8" closer to NYC. Less north/west more south/east. If the ECMWF ends up being or trending more towards the UKMET, I'll keep the idea of a repeat of Monday's near miss in the back of my mind.

WX/PT

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

Further east? Just this morning we were worried about possible mixing issues! I need a new hobby.

This is such a chaotic pattern because of the fast flow that it’s hard to jump onto anything more than 72hrs out. It’s still a very vigorous trough and S/W coming in so it wouldn’t take much for it to come back west. 

• Like 6