• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Small or possibly moderate wintry event possible for a portion of the NYC subforum Friday morning-early afternoon 1/7/22

wdrag

2 hours ago, wdrag said:

Modeling is tending to try for a neg tilt intensifying nor'easter. Best snowfall north of our area since ensembled 850 LOW is still north of us. Added 00z/4 GEFS spaghetti and NWS ensemble chance of 6". THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE guidance after 12z/Friday.  The idea Is I95 could serve as a mix boundary?  Something wintry is coming, especially interior. 

The heaviest precipitation has been modeled (GEFS, GEPS) along and south of I-95 for several runs with the heaviest in eastern NE. All major models have snow to the coast except the 6z NAM. So those graphics look a little funny. Ending at 12z Friday takes out most of what falls in NE. But I think those probs. heavily weigh members of the NAM model family...?

Maybe the NAM is on to something. There is plenty of room for this to hook even further NW with a neutral tilt and vortmax in AR/MS by 0z Fri.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Thankfully in this case we have such a progressive pattern. The next trough is pushing into the NW and nudging the ridge/trough east ahead of it. That might keep our storm offshore although it probably also results in it developing later. 

I think most would be fine with 2-4 inches of snow

We're dealing with a little bit of a transition from the initial inland surface reflection and associated precipitation in PA to the developing coastal low. It's possible I-95 or just inland sees a bit of a precipitation minimum as the transition skips over this area and refocuses closer to the coastal. The precipitation shield as modeled looks to be shrinking and tightening as the SLP winds up.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I’d have to think there would be a 4-8” swath with a look like that. That would be some heavy snow for a few hours. 

You can still put up big numbers if the lift is intense enough. Boston saw a 12” storm in December 03 which was supposed to be 2-4” but instead it snowed 2-4” an hour for a couple hours