• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 3, 2022 CAPE Storm Obs/Nowcast

WxUSAF

drove down to bethesda on a "lunch break" to see what all the commotion is about.  pretty snowy scene in cabin john.  looked like about 4-5" there.  pretty much nothing north of clarksburg/sugarloaf.  worth noting that roads were basically fine the entire time with some slush on the side roads.

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but my parents have been stuck on 95S just north of Fredericksburg since about 9:15 am. They left a hotel in Springfield for their place in Florida this morning and tried to get through before the heaviest snow came in, but my dad (stupidly, and very unlike him) didn't take into account that others might not do so well in the snow. Jackknifed tractor trailers all over the place are blocking exit and entrance ramps, so no one can get off the road even if they wanted to.

Again...that was  dumb decision (I told them to stay put until things calmed down), and I'm sure plenty of others figured they could get to where they need to go without thinking of the ripple effects single-vehicle incidents and other potential multiple-vehicle accidents.

Springfield Massachusetts?

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Haven’t seen a plow on my cul-de-sac yet today. Not complaining though - I’ve got nowhere to be!

Most roads near me have been plowed at least once.  The most common place i saw cars getting stuck was that transition from plowed to side street where the snow was piled up.  if you didn't have 4x4 you got stuck.

Fun little nerd fact:

Exactly 20 years ago there was another southern slider that brought heavy snow to VA and southern MD, but fringed the northern areas. The difference was, that one didn’t even make it to DC.

Atlanta and Raleigh ended up with more snow than DC and Baltimore for the whole winter because of that storm.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fozz said:

Fun little nerd fact:

Exactly 20 years ago there was another southern slider that brought heavy snow to VA and southern MD, but fringed the northern areas. The difference was, that one didn’t even make it to DC.

Atlanta and Raleigh ended up with more snow than DC and Baltimore for the whole winter because of that storm.

I remember that one. Jan 2-3, 2002. We did very well in south-central VA (I was working at AKQ at the time). That was a clean, all snow event for all of southern VA -- a rarity!

• Like 1