• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 3, 2022 CAPE Storm Obs/Nowcast

WxUSAF

Wow, what an event -- final snow total here was just over 10". And I think that's a tad-higher bust than what the WSW called for. After the last several years, I'll gratefully take that and shut my mouth for the rest of this winter.

This was one of the most gorgeous snows we've had in these parts in many years, however, a lot of flowering trees in the neighborhood (and not just a few utility wires) took a HELL of a beating due to weight of snow. A lot of neighbors gonna have to do some "creative" pruning come springtime...but in the near term, Verizon has already agreed to visit tomorrow to re-string a number of FiOS cables, so there's that.

Here's a link to a photo album of the day's snow progress. And if nothing else, remember this -- always try to have at least as much fun as a dog manages to have in the snow.  :) 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/E8yWNXJkFu5NTwqAA

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Wow, what an event -- final snow total here was just over 10". And I think that's a tad-higher bust than what the WSW called for. After the last several years, I'll gratefully take that and shut my mouth for the rest of winter.

One of the most gorgeous snows we've had in these parts in many years, however, a lot of flowering trees in the neighborhood (and not just a few utility wires) took a HELL of a beating due to weight of snow. A lot of neighbors gonna have to do some "creative" pruning come springtime...but in the near term, Verizon has already agreed to visit tomorrow to re-string a number of FiOS cables, so there's that.

Here's a link to a photo album of the day's snow progress. And if nothing else, remember this -- always try to have at least as much fun as a dog manages to have in the snow.  :) 

Awesome photos! So glad Santa rebounded!

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

If people want some context for the range of joys to frustration in our forum - peep this from a really good local weather zealot based on reports - it’s accurate as hell (sadly for those north of balt city)

And to show how brutal the cutoff is...

Holllllllld up!!! Say WHAT?? That's when you know it was a brutal cut-off--BWI is my closest airport and I measure about 1.5-2 inches. Yes there they measured 6.8! Lolol That is hilarious! FRUSTRATING...but hilarious. I don't think that has ever happened where my own measurement and BWI where miles apart, lol Wow!

37 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Wow, what an event -- final snow total here was just over 10". And I think that's a tad-higher bust than what the WSW called for. After the last several years, I'll gratefully take that and shut my mouth for the rest of winter.

One of the most gorgeous snows we've had in these parts in many years, however, a lot of flowering trees in the neighborhood (and not just a few utility wires) took a HELL of a beating due to weight of snow. A lot of neighbors gonna have to do some "creative" pruning come springtime...but in the near term, Verizon has already agreed to visit tomorrow to re-string a number of FiOS cables, so there's that.

Thanks for sharing the video and pics. Beautiful! 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I’ve been waiting for years to have a good snowfall close enough to Christmas to see the lights in the snow.  Does not disappoint.

Thank you for sharing these pics! Love snow covered holiday lights!! Just added a couple more similar pics to the album I posted earlier...  :) 

1 hour ago, Fozz said:

Fun little nerd fact:

Exactly 20 years ago there was another southern slider that brought heavy snow to VA and southern MD, but fringed the northern areas. The difference was, that one didn’t even make it to DC.

Atlanta and Raleigh ended up with more snow than DC and Baltimore for the whole winter because of that storm.

Late January of 2002 featured an absolutely INSANE heat wave.  It hit 81F in Staunton (https://www.wunderground.com/history/monthly/us/va/weyers-cave/KSHD/date/2002-1) and DCA hit 77F.

I remember going to school in shorts that day.

1 minute ago, vastateofmind said:

LOVE this last pic....I caught a couple similar shots, too, with the back edge of the system finally moving out. Was SO gorgeous, with the sun shining on the grey clouds to the east, and that crystal blue sky to the west!  :) 

this was one of the prettiest snow storms I can remember.  I mean everything was just pasted white.  And then yeah, you had that contrast with the clearing - very very nice!

The NY'ers might not agree, but I think DC might be the best looking US city in the snow.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

Late January of 2002 featured an absolutely INSANE heat wave.  It hit 81F in Staunton (https://www.wunderground.com/history/monthly/us/va/weyers-cave/KSHD/date/2002-1) and DCA hit 77F.

I remember going to school in shorts that day.

Yeah I remember that too. After that southern storm, there was one small event in the middle of the month, and then after that winter was over. Even in Baltimore it got into the mid to upper 70s in late January.