Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
january 3rd potential coastal grazer

forkyfork

4 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Or maybe the Nam is late to the table

I should be good for an inch or two but it will be tough seeing places to my south seeing alot of snow

You're far from guaranteed an inch. You might not even seeba flake if some models are right. 

30 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Yep. Up where we are this likely won’t be a big deal if anything at all. Sometimes models over correct NW as well at this stage so it wouldn’t surprise me if it edged back SE a little to something like the Nam. 

you want to be in Long Beach for this, we could get 2-4 here

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

you want to be in Long Beach for this, we could get 2-4 here

I wish you folks along the south shore and Brooklyn and SI good luck with this one.  I think that while 1-2” is possible there I think a car topper is most likely.  I think folks on the Jersey shore south of Long Branch and east of Islip on the island stand the best chance of seeing 1-3” with higher amounts further down the Jersey shore.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

DC is getting a big snowstorm without blocking. Very weird.

The 500 mb pattern is fairly similar to that of January 22, 1954, along with similar teleconnections (AO-, NAO+, PNA+). The January 22-23, 1954 storm brought 6.4" to Washington, DC, but just 0.3" to Philadelphia and no snow to New York City. I don't think the gradient will be quite that sharp this time around, e.g., I think Philadelphia will see 2"-4", Central Park 0.5" or less and the JFK/southern Brooklyn, and Staten Island could see 0.5" to perhaps an inch.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

The 500 mb pattern is fairly similar to that of January 22, 1954, along with similar teleconnections (AO-, NAO+, PNA+). The January 22-23, 1954 storm brought 6.4" to Washington, DC, but just 0.3" to Philadelphia and no snow to New York City. I don't think the gradient will be quite that sharp this time around, e.g., I think Philadelphia will see 2"-4", Central Park 0.5" or less and the JFK/southern Brooklyn, and Staten Island could see 0.5" to perhaps an inch.

The minute the pna spiked we got a threat. Should be no more debate on what’s more important 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

The minute the pna spiked we got a threat. Should be no more debate on what’s more important 

We have a threat tomorrow. A small change in the height field would have delivered us a major snowstorm. Correlations with indices are meaningful but weak. Weather at the local level is primarily dependent on random chance even though many correlations exist.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, eduggs said:

We have a threat tomorrow. A small change in the height field would have delivered us a major snowstorm. Correlations with indices are meaningful but weak. Weather at the local level is primarily dependent on random chance even though many correlations exist.

We spent most of December with a -nao and nothing to show for it. The minute we got a brief spike in the pna we had a snow threat. Obviously, small changes in the hgts field etc are nuances that can’t be fore scene in such lead time. All I’m saying is I feel the pna is the most important indice for us when it comes to winter storm Chances 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

We spent most of December with a -nao and nothing to show for it. The minute we got a brief spike in the pna we had a snow threat. Obviously, small changes in the hgts field etc are nuances that can’t be fore scene in such lead time. All I’m saying is I feel the pna is the most important indice for us when it comes to winter storm Chances 

Pacific > Atlantic

20 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Euro south

Awful

I think the only chance NYC and NE Jersey has of seeing any snow is a result of that western component presently in Alabama and western Tennessee.  If that fades, and "consolidates" with the main precip shield, we shouldn't see a thing?

Checked 18z GGEM, EC, 15z SREF... not much recession if any... this suggests some modeling is going to be major error in the northern side gradient change between NYC-LI and Toms River.  HRRR/HRRRX look a little more like the NAM...s of NYC. 

Going to be some large errors, especially 12z/18z EC if this ends up like the much further south NAM.  

May post once more before going to rest, then up early to recheck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic