• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
january 3rd potential coastal grazer

forkyfork

So,  12z NAM, HRRR, HRRRX matches more conservative forecast as only flurries or no snow NYC N and W, but e LI and central NJ Toms River south near the sharp cutoff.

Also, some modeling is showing heavy snow near DC-Baltimore. Caution---sleet mixed in may but back amounts but still result in treacherous travel there. I think the further s you go in the axis, the greater the chance of mixed qpf.  Added a few graphics:

1) 09z/2 SREF  too abundant too far north and not enough mix south to limit amounts.

2) 12z HRRRX amount through 2PM.  

3) NWS 14z /2 ensemble chance of 4"  Note how conservative - that is because I think it models mixed types better. 

4) NWS 14z/2 prob for 1"  VERY difficult for NYC to see an inch, maybe all of LI too.   

I do not know but I lean drier and lower amounts in our area.  That does not mean I'm correct but NWS conservative posture, barring 12z GGEM/EC probably works for our subforum with advisory conditions possible e LI snd central NJ.   Further it's a mess where being on the road in the morning is not where I'd want to be.

606622180_ScreenShot2022-01-02at9_43_56AM.thumb.png.d4d9c71dfdc2c8ea77ea13010c6cfadc.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 9.48.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 9.46.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 9.45.56 AM.png

• Like 1

All this modeling needs to be published and allow reality to verify.  I may not be posting 3P-8P.  

Will review at 930PM and possibly start an OBS thread at that time if we are looking at more than a trace LI central NJ.  

If these ensembles BUST now (thanks for hotdog),  then NWS will need to review the mix.  Seeing less than a 30% chance of 1" at Toms River is telling in the 14z/2 NWS ensembles.  

EPS amounts can be biased high because 10 to 1 ratios, even mixed wintry.  

Where I think ensembles tend to fail is along the gradient edge, (go either way) and in the core, not high enough probs.  However,  modelers will tell you it's a matter of dispersion of solutions.

Warrants further conversation.  

In the meantime, I hope we have a better system than this for the rest of the winter. 

• Like 1

For the past day, there has been a significant north trend (precipitation coverage and amounts) on most guidance in VA, MD, DE and SNJ associated with the southern stream wave. But this trend has been muted further up the coast. It continues to look unlikely that anything meaningful with get north of SNJ. But convection in the South or a further deepening of the southern stream wave shifts could still shift everything further north. I could see CNJ and SEPA getting into the game. But the northern stream height field is really preventing the SLP from moving NE up the coast and expanding the precipitation shield to inland areas.

• Like 3

GFS positive snow depth change:  sure involves NYC and 1 foot amounts in the axis. Going to be an amazing GFS coup if this works out.  NAM, ensembles, SPC HREF will be unbelievably defeated.  Soon we will know.  

I still think lots of mixed precip DCA-Cape May or Dover DE. Thicknesses are still warm at the start and sounding still yet to be subfreezing.  It will change rapidly shortly after precip begins.  SPC HREF will be far more conservative than the GFS on the northern side of the storm. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 10.46.49 AM.png

• Like 3

• Rjay unpinned this topic