Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Discobs 2022

George BM

8 minutes ago, mappy said:

Dropped to 17 since I woke up, impressive for bare ground.

In other news, the kid gets another "snow day". 

Saw that! I think more people need to be talking about the natural disaster thats basically unfolded on I 95 from DC to Fredericksburg. Some people have now been stranded 20 straight hours and not moved. Cars abandoned, disabled vehicles everywhere, people trying to conserve gas in 20 degree temperatures. 50 miles of the highway closed in both directions, with the northbound side making no progress. Road completely refroze and turned to a sheet of ice. Its commutageddon all over but maybe worse in some cases. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

19 for the low here.  They really need to move DCA’s wx station either to the National Mall or away from the furnace.  Browsing stations right around them (and in Old Town near the water), they’re all at/below 22.  

DCA was 27 at 5:52a. LOL

I feel like every time something like this happens, my reaction is shock at the insanity of their obs...because it's ridiculous.

Got to 18F her, which is basically the forecast, but I'm a little surprised it wasn't lower.

Sneaky freezing drizzle potential early Wednesday?     Several CAMs show some spotty light precip early Wednesday generally on the east side of the Potomac.    Some of it is shown as rain, but some of it is freezing rain.    Air temperatures are progged to be right around freezing, but the surface temperatures will likely be colder than that.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DDweatherman said:

Saw that! I think more people need to be talking about the natural disaster thats basically unfolded on I 95 from DC to Fredericksburg. Some people have now been stranded 20 straight hours and not moved. Cars abandoned, disabled vehicles everywhere, people trying to conserve gas in 20 degree temperatures. 50 miles of the highway closed in both directions, with the northbound side making no progress. Road completely refroze and turned to a sheet of ice. Its commutageddon all over but maybe worse in some cases. 

2 hours ago, DDweatherman said:

Where is FEMA?  Where’s the National Guard?

3 hours ago, nj2va said:

19 for the low here.  They really need to move DCA’s wx station either to the National Mall or away from the furnace.  Browsing stations right around them (and in Old Town near the water), they’re all at/below 22.  

DCA was 27 at 5:52a. LOL

I'm downtown and my station bottomed out at 24.

3 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Imagine being stuck in an EV (electric vehicle) in this mess!  When it gets this cold the heater will draw some serious power which will exhaust available battery capacity relatively quickly.  That could be scary for someone traveling alone and without blankets.

I'm guessing there are a lot of people making friends with their fellow stuck travelers.

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic