Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Discobs 2022

George BM

5 hours ago, Amorphous Iodine said:

Where is FEMA?  Where’s the National Guard?

Governor Northam has to declare a "State of Emergency" first. 

And that needs to be requested from VDOT or one of the localities.  VDOT probably too proud to ask.

29 minutes ago, IUsedToHateCold said:

Forecast low temp of 26 already busted low at 22. Snowpack FTW. If any precip falls in the AM it will be icy indeed.   

True, although temps should rise quickly later tonight as the southerly winds and clouds increase.    But you make a good point that temps here in the early evening have plummeted, so all surfaces will be really cold in the early morning, and any very light rain will freeze on the cold surfaces even if the air temp warms to near 32.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

Going to eat a lot of snow over the next 24 hours.  Temps staying up near 40 in the overnight hours prior to the front tomorrow.

Yep, happening big time today. Up to 39 here, already starting to see a couple patches of green peeking through on neighboring lawns. Amazing, though, that some of the mature trees are STILL holding onto a fair amount of their snow cover from Monday morning.

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

Yep, happening big time today. Up to 39 here, already starting to see a couple patches of green peeking through on neighboring lawns. Amazing, though, that some of the mature trees are STILL holding onto a fair amount of their snow cover from Monday morning.

The snow on the trees 48 hours after the storm is amazing.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Think it has to be a combo of relatively calm winds and the bottom slush layer freezing into the trees and serving as an anchor for the snow on top?

I know in my hood we had a serious dumping of sleet that probably stuck to the wet trees like wet fingers sticking to ice cubes.  The snow probably clung to that very easily and why it made all the trees look like they were dipped in powdered sugar

• Like 2

Down to 3.5" here on the ground.  Undisturbed areas look fine still, but lots of green around footsteps and under trees.

Interesting temperature trace last night in parts of our area.  My brother's station west of Frederick went from 27 to 45 in less than an hour when the inversion broke.  Meanwhile I just bounced between 37 and 40 all night.

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

Down to 3.5" here on the ground.  Undisturbed areas look fine still, but lots of green around footsteps and under trees.

Interesting temperature trace last night in parts of our area.  My brother's station west of Frederick went from 27 to 45 in less than an hour when the inversion broke.  Meanwhile I just bounced between 37 and 40 all night.

I’ve always used your obs to relate to my own and most of the time you have temps I wish I could get. But lately you have roasted for lows and I’ve somehow been and icebox. 

I’ve dropped to 31.5 

2 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

32 on the dot. Neighborhood roads are still an icy mess. Nice to see full sun, however briefly...but man, it's really highlighting the damaged bushes and shrubs, and dozens of branches and limbs of all sizes that were snapped out of the mature trees on Monday. Looks like a war zone in some yards.

I was out and about yesterday evening, so I couldn't see a lot, but I certainly noticed the damage to white pines in the area. Heading out this morning and I'm curious to see it all in the light of day.

• Sad 1

• mappy unpinned this topic