Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Discobs 2022

George BM

6 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

32 on the dot. Neighborhood roads are still an icy mess. Nice to see full sun, however briefly...but man, it's really highlighting the damaged bushes and shrubs, and dozens of branches and limbs of all sizes that were snapped out of the mature trees on Monday. Looks like a war zone in some yards.

Hey, how much snow did you get? FCPS has been closed and my friends/family have asked why, I've said how southern Fairfax got hit hard but I forgot how hard you got hit. 8 inches, 10 inches or a foot plus? 

11 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Hey, how much snow did you get? FCPS has been closed and my friends/family have asked why, I've said how southern Fairfax got hit hard but I forgot how hard you got hit. 8 inches, 10 inches or a foot plus? 

Total IMBY was 11" -- we haven't seen a snowfall amount like that in many years. For a wild change, it appears we got it worse on Monday than the western part of the county.

My recent school closure rants notwithstanding, I WILL admit that road conditions in our neighborhood (we're near the Hayfield schools) still warranted a school closure today as well. Neighborhood roads were still fairly snow/ice covered even this morning, and even Telegraph Rd. still has some slick spots and huge snow piles all along its length.

Currently 38/23...and full cloud cover has returned.

11 minutes ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

I’m always amazed at how effective the sun is at Melting snow. It’s 30 degrees here in Lincolnia, but virtually all snow on pavement and cars has melted. Moreover, there is a growing amount of bare ground, despite the fresh round of snow this morning 

Some of the snow loss is due to sublimation from the dry, cold air. We see that with really fluffy dry snow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

I’m always amazed at how effective the sun is at Melting snow. It’s 30 degrees here in Lincolnia, but virtually all snow on pavement and cars has melted. Moreover, there is a growing amount of bare ground, despite the fresh round of snow this morning 

I’m wondering if there’s some residual warmth still in the ground from last week. I have significant melting in areas that are heavily shaded.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 2:58 PM, SnowenOutThere said:

Some place in southern Fairfax County got 10-12”. Many roads had trees down and icy streets leading into schools. 

3 hours ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

I notice this too when accumulations are light.  Snow diffuses the light but it still gets through enough to heat the surface below to above freezing and melt the snow.  Many times my solar panels are cleared off far sooner than my skylights.  Both surfaces are glass but the former is quite dark and is a good absorber of insolation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

I notice this too when accumulations are light.  Snow diffuses the light but it still gets through enough to heat the surface below to above freezing and melt the snow.  Many times my solar panels are cleared off far sooner than my skylights.  Both surfaces are glass but the former is quite dark and is a good absorber of insolation.

Monday’s snow stuck to my solar panels more than any snowfall in the last 5 winters since I got them. 0 power since Sunday.

10 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Yep. This is where I disagree with people when they blow off sun angle. Yes it can snow with a high sun angle but it takes a beating when those clouds get thin or are gone. It takes a deep, deep snow to keep that sun from heating what lies beneath.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

"The Streak" is officially in jeopardy folks - DCA (and most of central DC / Arlington) has not gotten below 22F in 1070 days (since Feb 2019), which is just... insane.  The airport was sitting at 27 at the last hour but is pretty steady.

I live like 1.5 miles from DCA as the birds fly and got down to 19 Tuesday morning after the storm. But it’s residential and lots of mature trees so maybe that helped (and not on the water). But even places in Old Town were 20-21. I totally get the UHI issues downtown/etc in dc but DCA is just terrible at obs. 

31 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I live like 1.5 miles from DCA as the birds fly and got down to 19 Tuesday morning after the storm. But it’s residential and lots of mature trees so maybe that helped (and not on the water). But even places in Old Town were 20-21. I totally get the UHI issues downtown/etc in dc but DCA is just terrible at obs. 

yeah it is probably more on par with downtown.  My station hasn't been in the teens since 2019.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

It’s a terrible site to take obs in the first place. The observation is supposed to represent the area in which the observation is taking place. No way an observation at DCA is representative of the entire city.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

It’s a terrible site to take obs in the first place. The observation is supposed to represent the area in which the observation is taking place. No way an observation at DCA is representative of the entire city.

i'd suspect it's pretty close.  The center of the heat island is actually around Columbia Heights / Petworth, and they tend to run warmer than DCA.  I'm downtown and I'm usually really close to them at night.  During the day I'm warmer bc of the river, usually.

• mappy unpinned this topic