Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

2 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Omicron shortages. Less plow drivers. Less dpw. Less everything. I've been hearing this all over. 

Yup. Not sure what thread it was, but someone had commented on how in CT hundreds of DOT workers were out because of quarantine and awaiting negative test results. Rapid Test false positives for the loss.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Idk what’s been going on, but we’re turning into CT. 

Honest question . Does anyone know why NH DOT are clowns . What is the general attitude with regard to following ice storms and treating Before cars are totaled or are they “rationing” salt or did they treat adequately and there is just nothing they can do 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Omicron shortages. Less plow drivers. Less dpw. Less everything. I've been hearing this all over. 

I guess, but they’re out there once 2 dozen cars wreck. We’ve known the ZR was coming for days…why can’t they pretreat? It sounds more like lousy planning to me.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Kind of an interesting observation outside right now.  Winds are gusting maybe 30 mph while it's 33 F in a mist of light rain.  But, some of the snows that lingered in their stenciling of the tree limbs is being knocked to the vagaries of the winds, and sets to whirling in the breeze as though immediately it is still powdery in nature.  It's like a recording of the colder recent times, spilling into the present tenths of a failing "warm" up  - it's a temp recovery, but it ain't warm out there.  

Windy, gusting near 30, still blowing snow off the trees.

33* rn-

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I guess, but they’re out there once 2 dozen cars wreck. We’ve known the ZR was coming for days…why can’t they pretreat? It sounds more like lousy planning to me.

Nobody holds them accountable. As I wait for the ZR in North Conway to slow I’ll visit their twitter page and ask them how many hospitalizations do they wait for before they treat a road 

3 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

Up to 30F here with freezing rain all morning.  What's weird is that there doesn't seem to be any accretion on the trees, just the ground.  Big drops seem to be finding there way to ground before they freeze.

Similar here, but this morning when it was in the low 20s it was raining pretty hard so that’s probably why no ice in the trees or powerlines.  Big drops have more heat.  If you really want ice buildup you want a nice heavy mist falling with temps in the upper 20’s. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

Up to 30F here with freezing rain all morning.  What's weird is that there doesn't seem to be any accretion on the trees, just the ground.  Big drops seem to be finding there way to ground before they freeze.

The near-sfc in-situ CAD ZR events don’t accrete on elevated surfaces very well because the drops aren’t supercooled. Literally a few hundred feet up is probably above freezing. Usually when the cold is a bit deeper, the drops become supercooled so they freeze on contact with trees and power lines. In this case, they need some time to glaze, so they drip down and mostly freeze on the ground. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

....well if only NHDOT would pay attention to weather forecasts they may be able to prepare the roads for impending winter weather...

I wonder are they rationing supplies or they just wait till there are a few pile ups and then someone calls Big Joe bob who is sleeping off his hangover 

I don't work for a dpw or any state or city but I will say one the things that has hampered the response to freezing rain or drizzle is the lack of sand.  Sand is all but outlawed in many areas of the country for use since it is really considered a pollutant now.  Does anybody remember the beaches that would be left on the sides of the roads after the winter?  Sand is really the only thing that will remain on the road  after a storm. Brine washes away quickly if there is any rain at all.

That said a storm like this does require a heavy response to keep the roads clear of ice.  De-icers and liquids will wash away within minutes of being applied so constant applications are necessary and pretreating is only good for about an hour (maybe less) depending on how heavy it's raining. All that said, if you apply nothing then that is guaranteeing failure.

• Like 1

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I wonder are they rationing supplies or they just wait till there are a few pile ups and then someone calls Big Joe bob who is sleeping off his hangover 

It is the same every year in NH...nothing changes...no income tax = no services....On Route 93 North there is always an obvious difference at Exit 1 ....the MA side of 93 close to that exit is always in much better shape compared to the NH side......only gets worse from there....

Big Joe Bob has been found

See the source image

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The near-sfc in-situ CAD ZR events don’t accrete on elevated surfaces very well because the drops aren’t supercooled. Literally a few hundred feet up is probably above freezing. Usually when the cold is a bit deeper, the drops become supercooled so they freeze on contact with trees and power lines. In this case, they need some time to glaze, so they drip down and mostly freeze on the ground. 

Ahhh, makes sense!  Thanks!!!

There is a huge problem with salt contamination of ground water and drinking wells.  This is a growing problem with no easy solution.

Sand does very little (especially without salt added to it) as traffic will kick it out of the wheel paths very quickly.  Research has shown that after 30-40 vehicles going over sand going at 35-40 mph will kick the sand out of the wheel paths.  Then in the spring there are 100's of thousands of tons of sand that have swept up and properly disposed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1