Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Now we’re talking. Give me big snow or big cold. Been a while since a good Arctic outbreak. Last subzero low here was January 21, 2019. 

-1.7°

QH62mTa.jpg

I love how when someone posts about longing for brutal arctic air, it prompts a WTF smiley from torch tiger :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Car thermometer in January of 2009 in Stratton,  Maine.  I was skiing with my son at Sugarloaf.  -30F at the summit. Skiing with any kind of speed was painful. 

The coldest skiing I've ever done is also at Sugarloaf. December of 1989 was -37F at the base. 

Cold-1.jpg.26d2ffeaec8bf7735bc76f005d634bf2.jpg

There were some days in the 70s when you did about 5 runs and packed it in-too cold and you understood whey the mountain was empty!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

There were some days in the 70s when you did about 5 runs and packed it in-too cold and you understood whey the mountain was empty!

Coldest wind chill I hit was in Jan with a -55 at Sunday River. We were on the Barker Chair approaching the landing tower when a gust of tremendous strength blew our chair sideways high, the chair in front of us slammed into the irons of the tower high speed disengagement and dented the tower. We were the last chair luckily and let off as the lift slowed to a stop and were able to get off. That dent is still visible. The wind actually stopped our down hill descent on a steep run as we went down. Incredible cold and wind combo. Took this pic off a video posted last winter.  Circled area is the damage still visible. 

Screenshot_20211210-043546_YouTube.jpg

5 hours ago, weathafella said:

I was up there skiing for my son's birthday.  I have to say he was a real trooper and didn't complain about the cold, maybe 50 people were out on the mountain that day. 

Timberline  trail near the summit at -30F. Taking this picture with a camera was not fun. 

Timberline-1.jpg.1207d388dc26740188b4ff316d5931f2.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

2019 and there has only been 5 of those in ORH history back to the 1800s 

2019 was a good one. ORH has a high of 1F. Coldest since the Jan 1994 outbreak which also produced a high of 1F (the Jan 2004 outbreak had a high of 2F). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Single digits with snow OTG and ice on the trees. That was about as yore as you can get. 

Yeah it was right after that cold tuck event. We had like 3-5” of snow followed by the sleet/ice combo and the ice stayed on the trees for days. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah we haven't really had one of those epic cold blasts with Ginxy arctic hounds blasting and temps in the teens or lower with strong winds. It's been the fakiators naked high fiving each other from 5-6am before the temp sky rockets after 7a. Whoopee. "Hey look how cold my valley got by the field with my unshielded accurite!" Meanwhile there's fuking Toucans in the tree canopy's above.

I have a 4 year old Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless mounted 5.5ft off the ground. It just so happens to be attached to a post on my garden at the bottom of the property....I can't help that my property sits in a valley with sandy soil, lol. One things for sure, my heating bill doesn't think it is fake cold.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

I have a 4 year old Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless mounted 5.5ft off the ground. It just so happens to be attached to a post on my garden at the bottom of the property....I can't help that my property sits in a valley with sandy soil, lol. One things for sure, my heating bill doesn't think it is fake cold.

LOL, Spanks...it was a joke. 17F is 17F. My point is, we just have not had any real bitter airmass yet.

• Like 2

Just started looking at next week and initial thought was woah....we are going to be much above normal, however, upon looking at the lower levels and the sfc...it may not get as warm as one things...maybe briefly later in the week but much of the week looks like a sneaky CAD-type scenario. Maybe more in the way of seasonal temps as opposed to much above? 

• Like 3