Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Just started looking at next week and initial thought was woah....we are going to be much above normal, however, upon looking at the lower levels and the sfc...it may not get as warm as one things...maybe briefly later in the week but much of the week looks like a sneaky CAD-type scenario. Maybe more in the way of seasonal temps as opposed to much above? 

May have some DSD days next week. The real torch is tomorrow (especially SNE) and Thursday. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

May have some DSD days next week. The real torch is tomorrow (especially SNE) and Thursday. 

Tomorrow is going to be quite mild. Even have to watch out for some isolated strong-to-severe thunderstorms. Agreed...warmest temps next week likely when that warm front lifts through but as long as we have that sfc high parked to the north any big warming is going to be muted. 

24 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Just started looking at next week and initial thought was woah....we are going to be much above normal, however, upon looking at the lower levels and the sfc...it may not get as warm as one things...maybe briefly later in the week but much of the week looks like a sneaky CAD-type scenario. Maybe more in the way of seasonal temps as opposed to much above? 

I was telling Will yesterday that I bet Thursday is my only true torch day here in the NE corner of the region.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Tomorrow is going to be quite mild. Even have to watch out for some isolated strong-to-severe thunderstorms. Agreed...warmest temps next week likely when that warm front lifts through but as long as we have that sfc high parked to the north any big warming is going to be muted. 

Wind damage 

42 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I've given that up....the majority are going to continue to paint a grim portrayal of the future until it snows appreciably in their BY, then and only then will it be full steam ahead.

Some serious Debbie’s in here…holy smokes what dooms-dayers. Their constant consternation and negativity is getting old.  Let em go. 

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

2019 was a good one. ORH has a high of 1F. Coldest since the Jan 1994 outbreak which also produced a high of 1F (the Jan 2004 outbreak had a high of 2F). 

My brother invited me up to ski with him in January of 1994. The things I remember about that cold outbreak was single digit cold at home,  a frozen Long Island Sound and painful cold skiing at Smugglers Notch. This was when I lived in Queens., New York. 

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

It’s pathetic actually.  Detracts from the forum.  

They are in a never ending search for the perfect KU pattern when in fact many "perfect patterns" haven't produced and we often get memorable snowstorms in serviceable patterns.  A serviceable pattern is quite possible by the end of the month.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I get the frustration....it's pretty bad to have nothing on the horizon on 12/10.....and we might end up punting all of December until the pattern gets less hostile. I am not quite ready to punt the final 10 days of the month yet though....that's a very strong EPO ridge forecast and if the western troughing is just a little less than shown, we'd have chances I think.

But it's definitely a headwind right now. That western trough is very deep.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I get the frustration....it's pretty bad to have nothing on the horizon on 12/10.....and we might end up punting all of December until the pattern gets less hostile. I am not quite ready to punt the final 10 days of the month yet though....that's a very strong EPO ridge forecast and if the western troughing is just a little less than shown, we'd have chances I think.

But it's definitely a headwind right now. That western trough is very deep.

More often than not, the month of December is a headwind in SNE.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

They are in a never ending search for the perfect KU pattern when in fact many "perfect patterns" haven't produced and we often get memorable snowstorms in serviceable patterns.  A serviceable pattern is quite possible by the end of the month.

Agreed 100%.   I mean we weren't supposed to get any snow for the first 3 weeks of December, and some how we did.  Nothing significant, but it was something.  How did that happen?  lol.   Let’s let it play out, and if it flops then we can say it sucked ass.  

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

More often than not, the month of December is a headwind in SNE.

Yes especially early month....but the 2nd half of the month is pretty decent for snow climo...esp interior. So punting December would be pretty bad....esp in a Nina. I honestly can't remember the last good La Nina where we punted December. Might have to go all the way back to 1971-72.

Hopefully this one turns it around in the final 10 days which is very possible. It's an active flow, so the snow events can come in a bunches once some of the timing breaks your way (ala Dec 2007 or 2008)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yes especially early month....but the 2nd half of the month is pretty decent for snow climo...esp interior. So punting December would be pretty bad....esp in a Nina. I honestly can't remember the last good La Nina where we punted December. Might have to go all the way back to 1971-72.

Hopefully this one turns it around in the final 10 days which is very possible. It's an active flow, so the snow events can come in a bunches once some of the timing breaks your way (ala Dec 2007 or 2008)

Too bad because yesterday could have been a nice event.

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This is true, but if something is imminent at the close of the month, then I think that is a bit different. If we are in the first week of January and nothing is imminent, may be time to worry. I would be stunned if that were the case, as I do not expect that at all.