• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

People posting progs for d14 and declaring them right isn’t helping.  We’ll have some above normal temperatures for sure.  A bigger concern to me is the dryness.  A pattern change would fix that but we have to get there.  1993 had a long torch in December starting around the 2nd week with a snow event imbedded around mid month.  That flipped right around Christmas as an apps runner deluged us on the 23rd.  Post Christmas got cold and snowy and that pattern held for the duration.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, weathafella said:

People posting progs for d14 and declaring them right isn’t helping.  We’ll have some above normal temperatures for sure.  A bigger concern to me is the dryness.  A pattern change would fix that but we have to get there.  1993 had a long torch in December starting around the 2nd week with a snow event imbedded around mid month.  That flipped right around Christmas as an apps runner deluged us on the 23rd.  Post Christmas got cold and snowy and that pattern held for the duration.

Precipitation looks to be normal for the month around here, so far...November was somewhat dry.

Obviously H5 is a fantastic level to start at when assessing the pattern and potential evolution but there are times where H5 can be extremely misleading. While there is a strong correlation to evolution of H5 and the sfc the correlation is not 100%. Moving through at least the end of the month just using H5 alone may be one of those times where the correlation is quite small (to the sfc). Point-in-case next week. Examination of the sfc continues to show strong cold high's sliding southeast through Canada (even into our area). While high pressure's obviously aren't good for storms they can supply cold air...so what do we want for storms?

The jet continues to be active with shortwaves which keep coming into the country from the PAC...so if we can keep supplying systems and get some llvl atmospheric support we'll have winter chances...whether it be snow, mixed, or ice. 

Point is H5 does not always tell all

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The 850 anomalies show this well...it's not that warm here.

Dec10_!2zGEFS366.png

It will be interesting to see if we can not only get but maintain ridging in the Alaska region. The persistent troughing there has been quite impressive along with the degree of cold. It's been a bit uneasy b/c there have been so many times during the earlier fall and even know that this overall scheme would breakdown but it hasn't. 

IMO (and I could be totally wrong on this premise since this out well out of my wheel house) but I think in order for us to see any significant and major changes to the overall configuration the changes have to happen across the western Pacific/Asian continent...not necessarily the Arctic. There needs to be a complete overhaul there first and then the rubber band snaps. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

It will be interesting to see if we can not only get but maintain ridging in the Alaska region. The persistent troughing there has been quite impressive along with the degree of cold. It's been a bit uneasy b/c there have been so many times during the earlier fall and even know that this overall scheme would breakdown but it hasn't. 

IMO (and I could be totally wrong on this premise since this out well out of my wheel house) but I think in order for us to see any significant and major changes to the overall configuration the changes have to happen across the western Pacific/Asian continent...not necessarily the Arctic. There needs to be a complete overhaul there first and then the rubber band snaps. 

Great Post! I agree.

• Thanks 1

Just now, KEITH L.I said:

That's not really a bad look..or is it?

It's clown range but it's a very good look....esp for interior. That high is kind of moving east to coastline might have issues by the time the storm comes up the coast, but overall it's at least something that is plausible once we're done with next week's torch.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

The arctic certainly helps...it doesn't facilitate an epic pattern in and of itself, but it can render things serviceable in the shorter term. But to your point, I saw a post from Allan Huffman on twitter comparing the behavior of the MJO right now to 1994 and 1996 in that the MJO may ultimately die out after reaching phase 8, which may send us back to milder forcing regimes by about the second week of January. I do buy that...I don't think the colder transition is a happily ever after into weenie bliss. Its going to get warm again in January before any potential longer term changes take hold during the second half of the season.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The arctic certainly helps...it doesn't facilitate an epic pattern in and of itself, but it can render things serviceable in the shorter term. But to your point, I saw a post from Allan Huffman on twitter comparing the behavior of the MJO right now to 1994 and 1996 in that the MJO may ultimately die out after reaching phase 8, which may send us back to milder forcing regimes by about the second week of January. I do buy that...I don't think the colder transition is a happily ever after into weenie bliss. Its going to get warm again in January before any potential longer term changes take hold during the second half of the season.

And that's a great point...just b/c an entire month overall looks like crap or torchy or whatever doesn't mean we can't get snow or a good storm. All we need to do is capitalize on those times when the pattern is favorable. Obviously when the window of favorable is smaller the task becomes more difficult but it's not impossible. 

I've been noticing a ton of play recently on the MJO...I guess b/c it's been a bit active, but the MJO is probably one of the most difficult oscillations to forecast. Putting alot of stock though in a medium-to-long term forecast with heavy weight can be very Russian Roulette