Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Or just less digging of the western trough....or a bit more of a stout -NAO....there's a few ways to get it to work.

I think we are SOL on the RNA trough not digging as much...that is pretty supported by MJO 7-Nina. The other two could work...I could see a bit more EPO or NAO.

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think we are SOL on the RNA trough not digging as much...that is pretty supported by MJO 7-Nina. The other two could work...I could see a bit more EPO or NAO.

Dec MJO 7 composite looks a lot tamer than progs....not saying the prog is wrong, but digging the trough really deep into CA doesn't seem to be on here

Dec_Nina_MJO7.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

One wonders if the sounding over Des Moines will be like a straight line down from that 20C ... I'm not sure the sun can input enough energy to realize the adiabat at that latitude.    what a freak show -

half sarcastic here, but good lord

It'll feel like the Arctic compared to them. Wouldn't be shocked to see some 80F readings there.

• Weenie 1

23 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Dec MJO 7 composite looks a lot tamer than progs....not saying the prog is wrong, but digging the trough really deep into CA doesn't seem to be on here

Dec_Nina_MJO7.png

True....I guess I was speaking to the fact that EPO and NAO are more supported than PNA. I was also interpreting the se ridge as attributable to pretty strong RNA in the absence of a hostile arctic.

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

True....I guess I was speaking to the fact that EPO and NAO are more supported than PNA. I was also interpreting the se ridge as attributable to pretty strong RNA in the absence of a hostile arctic.

The SE ridge position in the composite is good for us...the one on the ensembles is bad for us...it's too far north. We could get away with another couple hundred miles even on the composite, but we can't have the max anomalies almost overhead.

So if we can trend that western ridge a little more tame and/or find some other mechanism to push the SE ridge a little south (whether its the NAO or a more easterly EPO block), then we'd be in business.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Dec_Nina_MJO7.png

I think forky and bluewave said December phase 7 in a La Nina generally sucks relative to neutral or Nino but the ensembles seem to indicate an even worse pattern than even the straight Dec La Nina composites for 7

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

The SE ridge position in the composite is good for us...the one on the ensembles is bad for us...it's too far north. We could get away with another couple hundred miles even on the composite, but we can't have the max anomalies almost overhead.

So if we can trend that western ridge a little more tame and/or find some other mechanism to push the SE ridge a little south (whether its the NAO or a more easterly EPO block), then we'd be in business.

Yea, I guess I didn't scrutinize it that closely considering the range.

1 hour ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I think forky and bluewave said December phase 7 in a La Nina generally sucks relative to neutral or Nino but the ensembles seem to indicate an even worse pattern than even the straight Dec La Nina composites for 7

Sucks for Forky, not us. It's not a great pattern, but I would take that nina MJO 7 comp.

4 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

Obviously, I have a biased toward jay, but gotta respect how up front they are about the weekend.  Winds should be kickin up there Saturday.

D813C2CB-C838-4028-9811-EB6CC1496498.jpeg

Looks like they're progged to not be too bad until the overnight hours Saturday and into Sunday AM? Have a free place to stay at Killington so am debating the drive up. Saturday should at least be soft...

EDIT: sorry, I realize this probably belongs in the ski thread. also I was looking at the wrong graphic...definitely seems windy. 

25 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

Wouldn't be surprised if this morning's low of 22F here isn't seen again until 2022.

I’d be pretty surprised if we cannot beat that in the final 10-12 days of the month considering that monster EPO dump of cold into Canada. Even if the pattern is somewhat hostile for snow, that type of arctic cold is going to be hard to avoid when frontal passages occur behind a cutter....even if it’s transient cold.   

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I’d be pretty surprised if we cannot beat that in the final 10-12 days of the month considering that monster EPO dump of cold into Canada. Even if the pattern is somewhat hostile for snow, that type of arctic cold is going to be hard to avoid when frontal passages occur behind a cutter....even if it’s transient cold.   

The fakiators can beat that in a warm pattern under a strong HP to our north or south this time of year with the low dews.  They’d be 22. I’d be 38

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The fakiators can beat that in a warm pattern under a strong HP to our north or south this time of year with the low dews.  They’d be 22. I’d be 38

Yeah we haven't really had one of those epic cold blasts with Ginxy arctic hounds blasting and temps in the teens or lower with strong winds. It's been the fakiators naked high fiving each other from 5-6am before the temp sky rockets after 7a. Whoopee. "Hey look how cold my valley got by the field with my unshielded accurite!" Meanwhile there's fuking Toucans in the tree canopy's above.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah we haven't really had one of those epic cold blasts with Ginxy arctic hounds blasting and temps in the teens or lower with strong winds. It's been the fakiators naked high fiving each other from 5-6am before the temp sky rockets after 7a. Whoopee. "Hey look how cold my valley got by the field with my unshielded accurite!" Meanwhile there's fuking Toucan's in the tree canopy's above.

:lmao:

44 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah we haven't really had one of those epic cold blasts with Ginxy arctic hounds blasting and temps in the teens or lower with strong winds. It's been the fakiators naked high fiving each other from 5-6am before the temp sky rockets after 7a. Whoopee. "Hey look how cold my valley got by the field with my unshielded accurite!" Meanwhile there's fuking Toucans in the tree canopy's above.

Maybe you can celebrate the solstice by burning the kids' sleds. The lawn is still green so no risk of fire spread.

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You know it’s fake cold when after 4 hours in the upper teens , they’re seen picking tomatoes and peppers a week later 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I was just thinking today how I'd like one of those air masses where the high is like 0...been a while. Wow, would the charts be flying 

• Like 2