• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Ida

WxWatcher007

I know impacts are still ongoing, but here are the highlights of this storm so far:

1) incredible model consistency on rapid strengthening prior to landfall, verified

2) the rate of strengthening in last 12 hours prior to landfall

3) durability of the circulation while technically inland (marsh). I know there’s a lot of water in SE LA but we’ve seen major hurricanes weaken faster in the ocean with actual heat content. I think the storm was able to generate so much energy and under pristine environmental conditions it allowed it to remain at its peak for hours after its first landfall and this was in no small part due to it rapidly strengthening immediately up to landfall. We’ve seen it with some other storms, but this was impressive 

4) actually getting what appears to be a verifiable reading of a high end hurricane matching its estimated wind speed at landfall. Getting a reading of 149 mph sustained wind is absurd

5) numerous gusts over 100 kts inland. It seems with so many majors we have to search just to find a single reading or two over 100 kts. Even in a remote and swampy area, this storm dished out dozens, and some well inland

Ida may not have been Katrina (fingers still crossed) from the death and destruction standpoint but this will go down as one of the greats. It certainly from a wind perspective will end up towards the top of the list and I’m sure as the day goes on some of the images of structural damage from the ground zero areas near the coast are going to be sickening. An incredible storm and a absolute textbook example of what can happen in the GOM with the correct conditions. A+ forecasts from the NHC and many on this board. This will be one we remember 

Edit: had to add 1 more:

6) watching an ERC with a high end major hurricane begin to occur from a freaking continental US radar! You kidding me?! That was wild yesterday watching the powerful inner eyewall pinballing around in the formative outer eyewall! Can’t ever remember that happening with such a powerful well formed storm (maybe Matthew) especially at the beginning of an erc 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

27 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

So no one cares about this storm anymore?

I think we are all burned out from watching the storm over the past few days. All of the damage and destruction including the amazing footage of the winds from the storm have worn us down. 

Looks like it's going to take a route that could bring more rains to already devastated areas in Appalachia. Hopefully it goes closer to Nashville and/or speeds up and doesn't dump on the mountains. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jayson said:

This thread went off the rails a while ago. 90% of the posts over the past 24 hours should be in the banter thread.

The storm still looks remarkably well for having been onshore for as long as it has. Looks like there will be extensive inland flooding threats though the week.

Agreed. No clue how that happened. It became unreadable last night. 

As for flooding threats, some areas in Mississippi and Alabama are under the fire hose this morning 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jayson said:

This thread went off the rails a while ago. 90% of the posts over the past 24 hours should be in the banter thread.

The storm still looks remarkably well for having been onshore for as long as it has. Looks like there will be extensive inland flooding threats though the week.

Just now, NorthHillsWx said:

Agreed. No clue how that happened. It became unreadable last night. 

As for flooding threats, some areas in Mississippi and Alabama are under the fire hose this morning 

Perhaps because it's a Sunday night and people want to go to sleep or perhaps do other things like hang out with their family/friends.  You can't expect these threads to be monitored/moderated 24/7 365 days a year,  Moderators have lives and don't get paid to do any of it.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Weenie 1

35 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Perhaps because it's a Sunday night and people want to go to sleep or perhaps do other things like hang out with their family/friends.  You can't expect these threads to be monitored/moderated 24/7 365 days a year,  Moderators have lives and don't get paid to do any of it.

:wub:

edit to add: Davidk....if you have a problem send me a dm

Hearing these reporters telling you to make sure you boil your water due to a boil water advisory and then seconds later say how so many people still have no electricity is just really funny. You can't boil water without power unless you have something that can heat up water like propane tanks etc which not everyone has

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

Hearing these reporters telling you to make sure you boil your water due to a boil water advisory and then seconds later say how so many people still have no electricity is just really funny. You can't boil water without power unless you have something that can heat up water like propane tanks etc which not everyone has

many people have natural gas appliances.  not sure what the breakdown is down there but very common still up here.  all you need is a match or lighter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

If you have a gas stove + matches/lighter, you can.

5 minutes ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

umm you can always get a pot and start a small fire it wont take long for the water to boil all you need is a lighter  dry branches might be hard to find but theres always something around

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

umm you can always get a pot and start a small fire it wont take long for the water to boil all you need is a lighter  dry branches might be hard to find but theres always something around

I take it you don’t live in the projects, or really any area where people live in apartment buildings. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Scenes of complete structure failures, clear cat 3 winds over land. 

You do have a lot of tin roofs, especially in the more rural areas which make those buildings more vulnerable. However, the videos are I have seen from chasers so far have shown significant structural/roof damage in Lafourche Parish from Lockport southeast as well as in Houma (all those areas saw the eye wall).

20 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

10 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Or put a big pot on a grill.

A lot of people living in apartments don't have a yard to do that and if they do it outside risk getting fined or accidentally starting fires. People like that don't have things like grills either. It's easy to not realize how terribly off some people are if you don't live in their shoes. Some are completely screwed here.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

A lot of people living in apartments don't have a yard to do that and if they do it outside risk getting fined or accidentally starting fires. People like that don't have things like grills either. It's easy to not realize how terribly off some people are if you don't live in their shoes. Some are completely screwed here.

Why would anyone need to boil water when clearly responsible people who choose or have no choice bit to ride out a hurricane surely have at least three days of drinking water in their hurricane preparedness kits?  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, CentralNJSnowman said:

If you have a gas stove + matches/lighter, you can.

Gas appliances are rare down south, it's mostly electric stoves. For those who do though-great. 

Thankfully the levees held in NOLA. Them being repaired/rebuilt recently I'm sure helped. The western suburbs though look horrendous. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Gas appliances are rare down south, it's mostly electric stoves. For those who do though-great. 

Thankfully the levees held in NOLA. Them being repaired/rebuilt recently I'm sure helped. The western suburbs though look horrendous. 

This is one of the things even I as a weather hobbyist didn't fully realize until I came down here, the difference in impacts in only a few miles is wildly different. I remember going out to Folly Beach last year during Isaias and the difference in conditions between my house and Folly (20 miles as the crow flies) was astounding. Went from cloudy with a slight breeze to 50 mph winds and roaring seas.