Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Henri

wxeyeNH

7 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Folks are frustrated, tracking a weak nor'easter for days that won't be memorable. After so much hope .  Understandable

It does suck. This looked like the real deal Thursday, then slowly fell apart.   JB was saying 25 billion in damage at one point!  

• Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Brian5671 said:

The hype is out of control.  Non stop coverage for what will essentially be a rainstorm in Most of CT lolololol 

24 hours ago this was supposed to track over LI and into CT. Ryan posts here. He works for NBC CT. You think he is hyping this storm needlessly? I'm wondering. He flew home from Italy early to track this.

• Like 1

The hype is out of control.  Non stop coverage for what will essentially be a rainstorm in Most of CT lolololol 

I think it was warranted to some degree. Was probably worth emphasizing that Henri’s wind impacts were not likely to be as widespread as Sandy…but had this thing peaked at a Cat 2 yesterday and stayed in the further west course…it could’ve been bad across CT. It just irks me that no one wants to be the first station to backdown from the hype. You don’t even have to completely poo poo it as this point. But it’s pretty obvious at this point the wind threat here in CT much less a concern than it was. Still worth highlighting the flash flood potential.

Imagine being mad because a major hurricane didn't blow your house away. 

Also the media hypes these things all the time, that's nothing new.

The problem will be that next time there is a real threat people will ignore it.

When Irene was less than feared for many a lot of people downplayed Sandy a year later which was a mistake.

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I sort of get it from what Ryan said… CT has seen some ridiculous power outages for what models had as rather mundane storms.  Hearing the amount of days some posters have been without power in recent years… It would be easier to lean towards hype.   Judging by what everyone around here says they are expecting to lose power if there are 40mph gusts, ha.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

It does suck. This looked like the real deal Thursday, then slowly fell apart.   JB was saying 25 billion in damage at one point!  

Of course you’d listen to JB.

Accuweather “mets” are there to drive clicks, not give actual forecasts. If I listened to Henry margusity back in the day I would have had 200 inches of snow a year.

Also JB just in general is an idiot.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

Imagine being mad because a major hurricane didn't blow your house away. 

Also the media hypes these things all the time, that's nothing new.

In all seriousness though I think this is a perfect example as to why forecasting should never go private. When you have JB posting irresponsible garbage like he did but it becomes the front line of forecasting that isn’t good.

The NWS was pretty conservative and in point this whole time.

6 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

24 hours ago this was supposed to track over LI and into CT. Ryan posts here. He works for NBC CT. You think he is hyping this storm needlessly? I'm wondering. He flew home from Italy early to track this.

I would resume normal programming at this point.  

4 minutes ago, Mr. Windcredible! said:

I think it was warranted to some degree. Was probably worth emphasizing that Henri’s wind impacts were not likely to be as widespread as Sandy…but had this thing peaked at a Cat 2 yesterday and stayed in the further west course…it could’ve been bad across CT. It just irks me that no one wants to be the first station to backdown from the hype. You don’t even have to completely poo poo it as this point. But it’s pretty obvious at this point the wind threat here in CT much less a concern than it was. Still worth highlighting the flash flood potential.

That’s exactly it no one wants to be the first to pull the plug.   I remember March 2001 in NYC the local channels still had reporters in Times Square for an inch of slush.  Tough call but at some point you say it’s not happening as we thought and pull the plug. 

5 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Of course you’d listen to JB.

Accuweather “mets” are there to drive clicks, not give actual forecasts. If I listened to Henry margusity back in the day I would have had 200 inches of snow a year.

Also JB just in general is an idiot.

Lol I didn’t listen to him it’s JB being JB I’m just illustrating how things get out of control with the hype.

Just now, ScottieBird said:

When storms bust Jay Kenney gets personal when posters highlight the obvious. I'm in Newport and so far the wind is a nothing burger. 

Although, kind of ironic that you use his real name in a post accusing him of getting personal

• Like 1
  • Haha 7