Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tropical Storm Henri

wxeyeNH

Tropical Storm Henri Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL082021
1230 PM EDT Sun Aug 22 2021

...TROPICAL STORM HENRI MAKES LANDFALL ALONG THE COAST OF RHODE  ISLAND NEAR WESTERLY...

Data from an Air Force Reserve reconnaissance aircraft, NOAA Doppler weather radars, and surface observations indicate that the center of Tropical Storm Henri made landfall along the coast of Rhode Island near Westerly at approximately 1215 PM EDT this afternoon. At the time of landfall, maximum sustained winds were estimated to be 60 mph.

A Weatherflow station near Point Judith, Rhode Island, recently measured a sustained wind of 57 mph (92 km/h) and a gust to 70 mph 
(113 km/h). The center of Henri passed over Block Island, Rhode Island, around 1100 AM EDT...1500 UTC.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This oughtin' set up the yokels good and proper for the 3 and 7/8ths Category bomb coming up the coast on September 20 ...

No one'll believe it -

I was just thinking that. Imagine if a real major CV system is approaching in a few weeks. Nobody in CT is going to prepare. It'll be like the folks in Boston dismissing Feb '78 after the busted forecast in January.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I was just thinking that. Imagine if a real major CV system is approaching in a few weeks. Nobody in CT is going to prepare. It'll be like the folks in Boston dismissing Feb '78 after the busted forecast in January.

I've heard of this anecdotally ...  I wasn't around during that era -

There were a couple of events in weeks leading.  Logan set a 24-hour snow total record.   But 'when' was this so called bust ?  Was it the Cleveland Bomb - maybe they originally thought that would end up the coast??  

I can tell you, if that Cleveland circumstance had set up shop 30 Mi E of Montauk - maybe that is physically impossible, I dunno.  I can't imagine a stalled 953 mb in that space and what it would have done.  

It also may not have matter(s)(ed)... The Feb 4-7 set up featured a lobing 1050 mb high.  So maybe the total pressure differentials are more equal in that arithmetic.   Another way to think of it ... maybe without the enormous ambient higher pressure anomaly, Feb 4-7 would have bottomed out deeper.  

Heh, in the end it's like comparing Ali to Tyson

24 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This oughtin' set up the yokels good and proper for the 3 and 7/8ths Category bomb coming up the coast on September 20 ...

No one'll believe it -

I'm still waiting for the 925mb gulf of Maine hybrid that the GFS showed last year.

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

There were a couple of events in weeks leading.  Logan set a 24-hour snow total record.   But 'when' was this so called bust ?  Was it the Cleveland Bomb - maybe they originally thought that would end up the coast??  

I can tell you, if that Cleveland circumstance had set up shop 30 Mi E of Montauk - maybe that is physically impossible, I dunno.  I can't imagine a stalled 953 mb in that space and what it would have done.  

It also may not have matter(s)(ed)... The Feb 4-7 set up featured a lobing 1050 mb high.  So maybe the total pressure differentials are more equal in that arithmetic.   Another way to think of it ... maybe without the enormous ambient higher pressure anomaly, Feb 4-7 would have bottomed out deeper.  

It must've been the Cleveland storm. It happened between the big snow in mid-January and Feb '78.

34 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The bust was the fact that the January 78 record preceding its being broken in February was supposed to be as rain storm.

54 minutes ago, WeatherWilly said:

I still have power and the eye passed just to my south over an hour and half ago. Not to downplay this Henri, but outside of heavy developed urban areas no one should have power near the where the center of the storm tracks if it were memorable. 

You lucked out.  What part of NK are you in?  My buddy near South County Trail lost power around 10:30.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

No one'll believe it -

I far from being enough of a weather geek to guess at how today's models would do with the '38 Hurricane for warning...but we're used to days of hype before the storms today come close to New England.

I look at the '38 storm going from 75N30W to Long Island in 18 hours and start thinking folks won't believe it and couldn't prep fast enough. 

Oh well, rain is tapering off in my bit of Connecticut so time to take a tour of town :)

1 minute ago, Warwick WX said:

You lucked out.  What part of NK are you in?  My buddy near South County Trail lost power around 10:30.

Yah - Wickford is out, Saunderstown is out and pretty much everything south. We lost power around 11.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I had not heard of a big bust in '78... maybe some were calling for the Cleveland Superbomb to be snow in New England but it wound up being a big rainer/torch?  I really don't know

January 78 was a bust.  We were supposed to get rain.

4 minutes ago, kocab said:

Yah - Wickford is out, Saunderstown is out and pretty much everything south. We lost power around 11.

As a civil/site designer we generally propose all new subdivisions with underground power/no poles.  But it doesn't help when the power connecting to the substation for the development is conveyed by poles 2' away from overhanging trees.  Until somehow all the money needed is spent to convert existing overhead lines to underground, this will be a perpetual problem.

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Was just reading an exerpt from a book  on that.   Was not aware that it was a busted forecast.

https://books.google.com/books?id=5dE4EAAAQBAJ&pg=PA6&lpg=PA6&dq=cleveland+superbomb+boston&source=bl&ots=mpQ-nBjHXE&sig=ACfU3U2dPraVkDSoNCMKF-YKTcEZpYh00w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiY-Nz4oMXyAhVWa80KHXonDawQ6AF6BAgPEAM#v=onepage&q=cleveland superbomb boston&f=false

Note: Eric Fisher's new book

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Interesting...

so they must of just had doubts about a "storm" at all then.   Like, they couldn't get that previous one right so the big dawg'll miss - ha. 

but that's weird psychology when you think about it.. .because not getting rain right in lieu of snow, wouldn't lend one to think that when they predict snow ..it should necessarily be rain - unless they thought the storm would miss altogether.

wow...what a delicious morass of distrust -

9 minutes ago, NeonPeon said:

I toured the damage in Newport by bike, which says it all. Some limbs, esp right on the water. That's it. Less than a moderate noreaster. Normally the Northeast side of a storm like this has teeth, but not if there no longer is an east side to the storm at all.

Yeah, with most of the energy pivoting WNW despite the eyewall over Westerly, we were mostly spared the heavier winds gusts… some trees and branches down here but nothing too major.

I toured the damage in Newport by bike, which says it all. Some limbs, esp right on the water. That's it. Less than a moderate noreaster. Normally the Northeast side of a storm like this has teeth, but not if there no longer is an east side to the storm at all.
I get what you are saying, but seems worse than a moderate noreaster. I know quite a few people with full oaks down. Damage definitely falls off very quick away from the water on both sides of the bay though.

https://instagram.com/stories/thekingslens/2646040594301596826?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&utm_medium=share_sheet

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, drstuess said:

I get what you are saying, but seems worse than a moderate noreaster. I know quite a few people with full oaks down. Damage definitely falls off very quick away from the water on both sides of the bay though.

https://instagram.com/stories/thekingslens/2646040594301596826?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&utm_medium=share_sheet

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I didn't go down Bellevue, but that area, with large, dumb lawns, leading up a slight hill from the coast, to lone trees, is a recipe for this.

I didn't see much like that video. But I don't have any friends on Bellevue!

• Like 1