Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2021 Weather Discussion

CoastalWx

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

.... I think it clearly that you moved to great location for big winters ...*but* did so at the tail end of climate destruction's moving winters N ... probably you got Kevin's bald headed winter tendencies at that that latitude ... maybe 10 years.  By then Kevin'll be DC'ing it.   

Then... the tipping point probably starts causing world wars over dwindling resources anyway and who'll have time to care - ... trope dystopian but pick one...

I am hoping my place in Delaware becomes waterfront property in the next 30 years or so. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

.... I think it's like you moved to great location for big winters ...*but* did so at the tail end of climate destruction's moving winters N ... probably you got Kevin's bald headed winter tendencies at that that latitude ... maybe 10 years.  By then Kevin'll be DC'ing it.   

Then... the tipping point probably starts causing world wars over dwindling resources anyway and who'll have time to care - ... trope dystopian but pick one...

How many beers in?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I’m figuring next time I get a 200”+ winter with big snow bombs followed by “atmospheric river” cutters that destroy the pack and ruin skiing conditions I will come to appreciate the value of a stretch of nearly two months with temps in the mid-20s and 30” OTG without any big storms. 

Exactly.  You’ll be wondering why it has to rain or change to freezing rain within days of each snowstorm.  But the season total snowfall will be higher.  Each winter has its own character.  Or it’ll be all SWFE warm air thumps and it’ll be “for once it would be nice to just get an all powder snowstorm that doesn’t end with a crust.”

Theres always a way to improve on a winter, except for the truly special ones that have big snows, no mixed, and no thaws.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Jerry - you leaped into a conversation and didn't - clearly - know the history.

It has nothing to do with you and your atlas ...  

Actually I did    I remember what you said after 2015 and I may have even responded that’s how you get climo.  But while the climo regressed somewhat it didn’t really rat out until the 2 years before this season.

31 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

Everyone using Revs Jedi Mind trick chalking Morch into a ratter already  while two weeks from now most will probably end up with another foot on the ground. 

It is March 8th and there is absolutely nothing on the horizon but Spring temps and maybe drought. A random sloppy snow/mix/rain event towards the end of month wouldn't be surprising..in fact with the drought, we could probably use one by then

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

That describes 1987 here.  A messy storm at the equinox brought the pack to 20-30" with 6-8" LE in the Kennebec drainage.  A week averaging 55/33 followed by 4-7" of RA at 45-50 on 3/31-4/1 and by sunset on April 1 the pack was basically all gone.  Probably 8-12" water was put into the watercourses in less than 72 hours and Augusta reached 22.5' above flood stage.

What a bluebird day today, upper 30s, no clouds, no wind.  Tappers must be having trouble keeping up with the flow, today thru Thursday at least.

High of 32° off a low of 2.3° for me today.  Tomorrow the run will start in earnest.

57 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Just an avg Jan and Mar would have put this winter in A status around here. As is, one storm in Dec and great 20 day stretch in Feb...that’s it. That’s the winter. 

Ya, Like a movie that has just enough “OK”scenes that you stay engaged but in the end you’re left feeling a little bit empty and disappointed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Just an avg Jan and Mar would have put this winter in A status around here. As is, one storm in Dec and great 20 day stretch in Feb...that’s it. That’s the winter. 

I prefer snow to start at the beginning of Jan, that way you can have a pack for most of the winter. Even a 10-12 incher in Jan would have went a long way to improving the grade this winter.

2 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I prefer snow to start at the beginning of Jan, that way you can have a pack for most of the winter. Even a 10-12 incher in Jan would have went a long way to improving the grade this winter.

Yeah if we could have snuck that 1/3 storm into the picture and had it be a solid warning snowfall, the entire tenure of the month would have changed. That pack would have stuck around for the next 3 weeks until 1/26 replenished it and then going off to the races in February. 

As usual, the garbage gfs moved away from its outlier solution and caved to a similar upper level evolution of the superior european, Canadian, and if you extrapolate beyond 180 hours the navy as well. The blizzard in New England for the 14-16th time period on the gfs did not fit the pattern with the trough too far west on the better models. The good pattern doesn’t set in until the 20th or so according to the models.