Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31 - Feb 1 Event - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

6 minutes ago, frd said:

From HM, lower part 

Anthony is 100% spot on. The RGEM was a great example where it wasn't textbook in terms of 5H propagation and overall axis still slightly positive tilted, but it still delivered. The atmospheric dynamic is prone to subtle changes, so for a situation where transfers of energy are in question, the fluidity of everything will have significant feedback concerns in downstream trough/ridge orientations and that in turn translates immediately to the surface. Hopefully some of the questions about feature placement and strength get answered soon, but I have a feeling we might see subtle differences up to the 11th hour since the sensitivity of the setup is that privy to change. Get the whiskey on hand ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, baltosquid said:

No need for a super in depth response since that would be best left to its own thread, but do people more in the know think the huge issues with GFS thermals are to some extent brough about by certain overcorrections from its experimental days when the FV3 was cranking out nonsensical cold solutions storm after storm?

It's a legit question, but it seems to be more of a function of the GFS PBL scheme, as the model has had these issues for a long time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

Adjust for GFS’ terrible ability at thermals (not saying we don’t mix at all) but I don’t think we mix to the extent GFS is showing in that deform.  Much better coastal for the area.

Yessir!  Looks to be quite generous with the QPF from the coastal with most of our sub forum with an an inch or more total. 

• Like 1

Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

Man the GFS is nice. Everyone wins...even Delmarva get a solid warning event.

Since we are closer the the event, even though complexities remain, do you regard the GFS modeling of the event as plausible,  or do you weigh more towards the EPS/Euro , or use a blend of the Euro, GFS, Canadian, etc.  if you were say going to word this in the afternoon AFD from Mount Holly. Thanks 

The 700-mb temperature gradient is definitely tighter on the 12z GFS compared to 06z, leading to greater frontogenetic forcing over the I-95 region. The model is also a bit colder, but its forecast boundary layer is still warm enough for rain for a time near and SE of I-95. If the stronger dynamics verify, I think the boundary layer could be less of an issue, especially given the favorable surface high position in SE Canada. Of course we could have those issues if the models end up developing the surface cyclone farther northwest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

I wouldnt dismiss the GFS...for its all its faults in the mid range...its a pretty good model within 60. And now with the european being the outlier....i wouldnt totally buy into the european. This is different from being 120 hours out

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic