Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31 - Feb 1 Event - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

Just now, Hypothetical 240 hour snow said:

Yeah so I guess the consensus is the CMC can't be trusted unfortunately, the EC solution where the band sets up further SE seems more plausible.

There isn't really consensus on the coastal yet IMO.  I think it is likeliest that if a deform does happen it'll probably be in our region possibly up through philly and central jersey, but these are notoriously hard to pin down.  

• Like 1

Would this be a setup for possible Bay Effect or Enhanced Snow for folks in the Virginia Chesapeake Bay Region.  Only seen it happen once in a significant way and it was a similar setup maybe 20 years ago.  The storm was pulling away, Mets called for Snowshowers and locations along the bay got an additional 6 inches of of heavy snow.

• Like 1

There are 2 obvious camps emerging in the guidance... and it involves how they are handling the upstream feature in New England.  Those that are diving the vort there further southwest are suppressing the flow (NAM/Euro) and causing the trough to remain more positive with a more suppressed east solution WRT the coastal.  Then a camp that is less suppressive with that feature (GFS/PARA/ICON).    The GGEM/RGEM are kind of in between and so we see probably the ideal result for 95.  There is honestly no way to know for sure what is going to happen with that feature in New England, but it holds the key here IMO.  

• Like 6

One of the things I'm noticing with the GFSv16 is a shift in the max precip field over the last several runs. It has built up the precip field and expanded the area of 1+" QPF, as well as ramping up within where it places the CCB. It has shifted from the Hudson Valley to central PA in the last 3 runs. Perhaps it's starting to catch on to an earlier capture and better mid-level frontogenic placement to the south? Maybe it's still trying to decipher the surface low placement given the nature of the transfer? Maybe it's Maybillene?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 18

5 minutes ago, ryanconway63 said:

Would this be a setup for possible Bay Effect or Enhanced Snow for folks in the Virginia Chesapeake Bay Region.  Only seen it happen once in a significant way and it was a similar setup maybe 20 years ago.  The storm was pulling away, Mets called for Snowshowers and locations along the bay got an additional 6 inches of of heavy snow.

Which side of the bay? Lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

One of the things I'm noticing with the GFSv16 is a shift in the max precip field over the last several runs. It has built up the precip field and expanded the area of 1+" QPF, as well as ramping up within where it places the CCB. It has shifted from the Hudson Valley to central PA in the last 3 runs. Perhaps it's starting to catch on to an earlier capture and better mid-level frontogenic placement to the south? Maybe it's still trying to decipher the surface low placement given the nature of the transfer? Maybe it's Maybillene?  

@ers-wxman1 and i were discussing this last night. You'd want to see the precip field expand as the event nears if you're looking for higher numbers. This is a good sign.  Hope the other guidance starts picking it up, because that would up confidence on a more widespread high performing event.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

There are 2 obvious camps emerging in the guidance... and it involves how they are handling the upstream feature in New England.  Those that are diving the vort there further southwest are suppressing the flow (NAM/Euro) and causing the trough to remain more positive with a more suppressed east solution WRT the coastal.  Then a camp that is less suppressive with that feature (GFS/PARA/ICON).    The GGEM/RGEM are kind of in between and so we see probably the ideal result for 95.  There is honestly no way to know for sure what is going to happen with that feature in New England, but it holds the key here IMO.  

So I'm wondering how long it'll be before we know what happens with that feature? Maybe not till gametime? Lol

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Wonder when the short wave trough up in New England gets modeled correctly?   Jack Sillin mentioned this feature this morning and I posted about it, as you may be aware.  

I could speculate that if the afternoon Euro today comes in more GFS/PARA /ICON-ish then maybe we can feel a little more confident that it will not be a negative factor for us.   

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Which side of the bay? Lol

Im on western side...Northern Neck of Virgiinia....ive seen it happen in past storms in VA beach where the storms cranks and winds flow from due north down the bay and create bay effect....things have to be just right....

Just now, ryanconway63 said:

Im on western side...Northern Neck of Virgiinia....ive seen it happen in past storms in VA beach where the storms cranks and winds flow from due north down the bay and create bay effect....things have to be just right....

That would be pretty cool, I'm sure the bay is warm enough for it given how warm it has been. 

3 minutes ago, frd said:

Wonder when the short wave trough up in New England gets modeled correctly?   Jack Sillin mentioned this feature this morning and I posted about it, as you may be aware.  

I could speculate that if the afternoon Euro today comes in more GFS/PARA /ICON-ish then maybe we can feel a little more confident that it will not be a negative factor for us.   

I don't know but its obvious from the drastic shifts in guidance run to run and how closely those shifts correspond to the handling of that feature in New England, that its volatile and delicate.  The guidance is having a really hard time getting a handle on what that little vort is going to do and it has a great effect on our system.  

• Thanks 2

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I don't know but its obvious from the drastic shifts in guidance run to run and well closely those shifts correspond to the handling of that feature in New England, that its volatile and delicate.  The guidance is having a really hard time getting a handle on what that little vort is going to do and it has a great effect on our system.  

Very true, one small feature can have dramatic effects.  

Which model is the NWS relying on because I don't really understand why it has a significant ice storm for the area. From my understanding the only models that really are behind this are the Nam models. I just don't really understand why it has this, the GFS just has a switch to rain and back to snow. The Euro is snow and so are a bunch of other models. Am I just not understanding something?

Just now, SnowenOutThere said:

Which model is the NWS relying on because I don't really understand why it has a significant ice storm for the area. From my understanding the only models that really are behind this are the Nam models. I just don't really understand why it has this, the GFS just has a switch to rain and back to snow. The Euro is snow and so are a bunch of other models. Am I just not understanding something?

The NAM typically models the low-lvl CAD better, and sometimes can catch onto a stronger LLJ advecting in a warm nose aloft (it did well in diagnosing the sleet storm that impacted SE PA in December that a lot of the other guidance didn't handle well)... but it can also be overdone in this LLJ at times... it did this in the warm christmas heavy rain event.

1 minute ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Thinking historically it's a good idea to mention all the precip types.  In coastal storms with uncertain temperature profiles we can see any type of precipitation.  

UKMET looks great to me, delivers some backend love with cold temps. 

IF (huge mega if) we do get the further southwest capture/stall option guidance will underdo the snowfall in that deform bad.  That is a 90% given.  They also will miss the NW deathband...we all know that.  But that only works out if we actually get the close to the coast capture stall option...if the storm swings out too wide due to a positive tilt precipitated by the flow too suppressive in front...the area will be robbed of the moisture transport we need off the coastal as the upper low swings through and it will just be instability disorganized areas of snow.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MD Snow said:

12z so far: 

Ukie, GGEM, GFS, RGEM, Para, ICON vs 12k nam

That's not a fight, it's a homicide.  

As long as the Euro doesn't move farther south, I think we're looking good.  If it holds or inches back northwestward with the coastal, then I think we get rolling.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

UK is a picture perfect capture/stall location for our area.  Hopefully the euro follows.  

The evolution was perfect for I-95. It's likely underdone too in the intensity department given the dynamics and strength of the 85H and 7H lows. The placement was great though. A good sign 

• Like 6
  • Weenie 1

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic