• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31 - Feb 1 Event - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

we have a conundrum...  the GFS/UK/GGEM/RGEM/ICON/NAVGEM all agree on phasing and tucking the low off the VA capes which places our area under the deformation axis.  The Euro/NAM jump the upper low further northeast and have the capture happen further north and OTS which misses us with most of the effects from the coastal.  Obviously the preponderance of evidence suggests the south solution but we have the EE rule saying no.  Tough one.  The euro moved in the right direction 12z so I am going to favor the closer to the coast solution ATT.  

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

we have a conundrum...  the GFS/UK/GGEM/RGEM/ICON/NAVGEM all agree on phasing and tucking the low off the VA capes which places our area under the deformation axis.  The Euro/NAM jump the upper low further northeast and have the capture happen further north and OTS which misses us with most of the effects from the coastal.  Obviously the preponderance of evidence suggests the south solution but we have the EE rule saying no.  Tough one.  The euro moved in the right direction 12z so I am going to favor the closer to the coast solution ATT.  

12z OP euro did the weird double coastal low and banked on the further OTS on this time. If it winds up the left side wins, then we all go boom and win. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

Be careful using the mean on the EPS because there are two still 2 distinct camps wrt where they capture the secondary.  The good news is the improvement on the mean is because about 11 members jumped ship from the eastern escape camp to the tucked in camp.  The majority camp went from a slight 55/45 lean towards OTS at 6z to a 60/40 lean towards a quicker capture and tuck.  The OTS option is still there and there is a not insignificant camp that support the OP but it was a clear move towards the other guidance.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1

26 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Think this map does a decent shot at showing big dog runs. The answer is there aren't really a ton. Just a pretty uniform 8-10". 

1612375200-xFVZ1VFKeRI.png

Ensemble members will struggle to show HUGE totals because they are lower resolution and the snow maps are 10-1.  It's very likely an 8" ensemble member is really a 12" snowstorm...maybe even more honestly.  That said...the crazy huge totals of a few day's ago are probably off the table because the flow to the northeast has trended more suppressive which has caused the trough to remain more positively tilted then it was when we were seeing those 30" type solutions.  It's not impossible to get back to that...but we have some work to do.  I think setting the bar at a solid MECS is more realistic.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, ErinInTheSky said:

Lol. I love this map. With their busts and booms, it's basically... for me... "Yeah you could have somewhere between 3 and 15 inches".

Yea, they hedge a lot, but for a first call I can understand the boom and bust scenario. It's no different than LWX's 10% and 90% percentile maps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I think we can add the JMA to the majority tuck camp.  Its super hard to tell from 24 hour timestamps and super low resolution, and the key time period is kind of missed in between hour 72 and 96 hours...but it looks identical to the GFS/CMC at 72 and from the precip and making reasonable inferences I estimate the JMA adds about .35 qpf from the CCB after about .4 qpf from the WAA wave.  That is pretty good btw for the JMA which is low resolution.  Even if it was only .35 that would imply a 4-6" snowfall across the area (on top of the 3-6" from the WAA part) given typical high ratios in the deform axis.  But that qpf is likely conservative.  And that is the most analysis I have ever done or ever care to do again of the JMA.  But that was for @Ji.  Take care man!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The watch is out:

MDZ006-008-011-507-508-300415-
/O.NEW.KLWX.WS.A.0002.210131T1100Z-210201T1100Z/
NORTHERN BALTIMORE-CECIL-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-NORTHWEST HARFORD-
SOUTHEAST HARFORD-
310 PM EST FRI JAN 29 2021

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH LATE
SUNDAY NIGHT...

* WHAT...HEAVY SNOW POSSIBLE. POTENTIAL FOR 5 OR MORE INCHES OF
  SNOW.

* WHERE...BALTIMORE, CECIL AND HARFORD COUNTIES, AS WELL AS THE
  CITY OF BALTIMORE.

* WHEN...FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH LATE SUNDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...PLAN ON SLIPPERY ROAD CONDITIONS. THE HAZARDOUS 
  CONDITIONS COULD IMPACT THE MORNING COMMUTE.

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-
ST. MARYS-CALVERT-NORTHWEST MONTGOMERY-
CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST MONTGOMERY-NORTHWEST HOWARD-
CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST HOWARD-SHENANDOAH-FREDERICK VA-PAGE-WARREN-
CLARKE-GREENE-MADISON-RAPPAHANNOCK-ORANGE-CULPEPER-
PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-
ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-STAFFORD-SPOTSYLVANIA-
KING GEORGE-NORTHERN FAUQUIER-SOUTHERN FAUQUIER-WESTERN LOUDOUN-
EASTERN LOUDOUN-NORTHERN VIRGINIA BLUE RIDGE-JEFFERSON-HARDY-
310 PM EST FRI JAN 29 2021

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH
LATE SUNDAY NIGHT...

* WHAT...HEAVY SNOW POSSIBLE. POTENTIAL FOR 5 OR MORE INCHES OF
  SNOW.

* WHERE...THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, AND PORTIONS OF CENTRAL AND
  SOUTHERN MARYLAND, CENTRAL AND NORTHERN VIRGINIA, AND THE 
  EASTERN PANHANDLE OF WEST VIRGINIA. 

* WHEN...FROM LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH LATE SUNDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL COULD BE VERY DIFFICULT.

• Like 7
  • Weenie 1

37 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Far be it from me to EVER dismiss the Euro - but Imma go right ahead and dismiss the NAM (esp after 48 hours). I'm not sure it's much of a conundrum when all other guidance is in one camp and the Euro was nudging in that direction. Not to say that this can't get away from us still, just saying that, as I know you know, when it's "just you and the NAM," it's really just you - hehe.

Damn,  the thing that caught my eye are the winds, for any METS out there, would any area meet the 3 hour requirement for a blizzard criteria ?

I would speculate to even get close it  would have to happen during the second part of the storm, when it intensifies, to hit the visibility and wind criteria, but I was just wondering.   

Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
314 PM EST Fri Jan 29 2021

DEZ001-002-MDZ012-015-019-020-NJZ016-021-PAZ101-102-300915-
/O.NEW.KPHI.WS.A.0001.210131T1500Z-210202T0600Z/
New Castle-Kent-Kent MD-Queen Annes-Talbot-Caroline-Salem-
Cumberland-Western Chester-Eastern Chester-
Including the cities of Wilmington, Dover, Chestertown,
Centreville, Easton, Denton, Pennsville, Millville, Honey Brook,
Oxford, West Chester, and Kennett Square
314 PM EST Fri Jan 29 2021

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH LATE
MONDAY NIGHT...

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations over 6
  inches possible. Winds could gust as high as 45 mph creating
  significant blowing and drifting of snow.

* WHERE...Portions of southern New Jersey, southeast
  Pennsylvania, northeast Maryland and central and northern
  Delaware.

* WHEN...From Sunday morning through late Monday night.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. The hazardous
  conditions could impact the Monday morning or evening commutes.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Snow will develop west to east Sunday
  morning and last through late Monday or early Tuesday. A period
  of wintry mix or rain could occur Sunday night and Monday
  morning before turning back to snow mid-day on Monday. The
  highest snow totals and snowfall rates are most likely to occur
  late Monday.
  • Like 1

GGEM has an exceptional look for this region, 15-25 inch potential with about 24h of continuous moderate to heavy snow potential as the coastal slowly develops in an ideal location, while the primary slumps southeast to eliminate dry slot and transient warmth. GFS is almost as good. ECM appears to be drifting into the same outlook. Based on that, first call from me:

widespread 17-23 inch totals, local 25-30. 

mixing issues confined to central, southern DE, southeast MD, VA s/e of RIC. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 24

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic