Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31 - Feb 1 Event - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

I can’t see a lot of reason at h5 that would have cause the NAM to be that improved. It actually looks more suppressive to our northeast. I’m still looking for the stall and tuck. 

Nam doesn't need a reason, it just spits out random blobs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I can’t see a lot of reason at h5 that would have cause the NAM to be that improved. It actually looks more suppressive to our northeast. I’m still looking for the stall and tuck. 

I'm looking at the initial vort that comes around the base of the trough at ~hr 54.  That makes more progress in the 18z run than it did at 12z.  It is subtle, but might be helping.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

How does that compare to 12z? Seems like a definite improvement this run, earlier transfer and even slight more negative tilt? Would explain why the backside snow was somewhat improved compared to last run. 

At 700 the low is more elongated SW to NE, which helps.  I can't say what the cause of that is, though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wentzadelphia said:

It’s never final consensus. I mean we’re at the stage where we can start talking about totals, but it’s still early. On our forum someone posted discussion back from 2016. Just 48 hours out the euro didn’t crush the nw Philly burbs and finally as the storm was literally starting it shifted N

When I said models are converging on a solution envelop - I meant that they are much closer with their solutions than they were 48 hours ago. Of course, there are still key differences between models (the ones I mentioned), but models are absolutely getting closer, not further apart. That’s all I was saying. 

0z tonight should be the beginning of a consensus with the storm arriving 24-36 hours out from there. We’ll see. 

Interesting read from Mount Holly for the coastal low part of the storm. Kinda sounds like maybe the B word might make an appearance-

By early Monday, the surface low intensifying and pivoting off the coast will result in increasing winds and increasing cold air advection as the mean flow turns northeasterly. Impressive wind fields (925 mb winds 40-50+ kts along and south/east of I-95) will develop as a result of the gradient leading to strong winds at the surface. The strongest winds will be along and near the coasts with gusts possibly in excess of 50 mph. Farther inland, wind gusts of 35- 45 mph will likely be common along and south/east of I-95. As a result, a change over to all snow is expected on the back side of the storm, even all the way to the coast, as the system begins departing into Monday night. Light snow may linger into Tuesday morning depending on how progressive the storm is. The exact placement and strength of the low will dictate exactly where the heaviest snow falls. The complexity of this system lies in details of the system transitioning from an overruning precip regime to a mesoscale banding (f-gen) and wrap-around precip regime. The latest 12Z guidance suite has trended the system a bit southward and thus colder, which suggests the greatest potential for f-gen banding across portions of interior southern New Jersey and Delmarva. This axis can certainly change over the coming forecast updates. Snow totals in the banding could potentially exceed the broadbrush ~6-8" storm total snowfall that is currently forecast across much of the urban corridor and south/east away from the coast.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, mappy said:

Well perhaps I will make sure to change that

Will only post about this once. I like this for future reference. If we revisit the threads on big systems it is fun reading back about what the NWS was showing. We lose that on links over time. Just my 2 cents. - Back to the regular scheduled program! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, midatlanticweather said:

Will only post about this once. I like this for future reference. If we revisit the threads on big systems it is fun reading back about what the NWS was showing. We lose that on links over time. Just my 2 cents. - Back to the regular scheduled program! 

That’s a fair point.

How about just a pic of the warnings and a pic of the likely and Max snowfall expectations

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic