Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31 - Feb 1 Event - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

Just now, CAPE said:

He is right..but did anyone think this was even close to reality? (my yard is the jack zone, so NO).

1612224000-ynb3TFLevyk.png

No.   I mean, if you are comparing it against a unicorn, I guess it's worse.  I was never one into this being a double digit superstorm, so maybe that clouds my perception a little.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Ok I’m good with that. But just as a comparison it’s a step back. I place stock only in qpf maps anyway.

The fgen banding is going to be the difference maker locally for the second half of the storm. That also creates local adjacent dead zones, so it can be feast/famine within a very short distance. No way to know exactly where that sets up at this juncture.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Ok I’m good with that. But just as a comparison it’s a step back. I place stock only in qpf maps anyway.

What I like to see more of is the run to run to run comparisons. You get a better sense how it all matches up. Granted you can only do that inside the window a mode runs but snapshot prognostication cause too much angst

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Pouring rain here. :raining:

Let's just make it simple. We're a little more than a stone's throw from getting a foot on the GFS, and that's with bad thermals. We can put that model to rest for now until tomorrow afternoon. Or never.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

Just now, JakkelWx said:

Let's just make it simple. We're a little more than a stone's throw from getting a foot on the GFS, and that's with bad thermals. We can put that model to rest for now until tomorrow afternoon. Or never.

The CMC was actually as warm/warmer, and now it is more in line with the Euro. Good sign.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MDSnowyWxTracker said:

The Icon and RGEM had me worried there but the GFS seems to support the tucked west feature still.  Saturates the whole area with good qpf.  Hugging this run until the next one.

I think you guys will be okay out there.  Both of those models had a weird low snow hole, but that kind of stuff is not figured out this far out.  As was mentioned, a stronger storm would generally yield a larger precipitation field. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic