Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2021

Eskimo Joe

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

That was a sleet bomb tho no? And very very rare honestly. But you're right, that was a coastal gone wrong in incredibly rare fashion. Personally, i love that storm for what it was. I mean our area was a legitimate glacier for days. 

Yeah, I remember that Feb. 2007 storm and liked it as well.  Admittedly, it was a bit disappointing because for some time it looked like a great widespread 12" or so snow event through the DC area.  But even still, it was fun.  I got ~3" sleet from that and maybe some glaze, and it did indeed turn into a block of ice for some time (it was very cold leading into that storm and then again after).  I think areas just to the east of DC did get an appreciable ice storm from it.

I've said this before, but I also actually liked the winter of 2006-07, though many think it was "meh".  We just missed the Feb. 2007 event being something huge, sure, and it was warm up through about the 3rd week or so of January.  But dayum...February was a frozen tundra!  I think we also got a decent mixed event later in January too, leading into that pattern.  And Feb. 25 was like a 5-6" paste job.  Feb. 2015 (and into early March) was remarkably similar in many ways with the frigid cold, but we maxed out our potential a lot better!

1 minute ago, H2O said:

I'm actually ok with that euro run.  Mixy line gets a bit too close.  Would love an east shift off OC a bit more cause there is a dead zone between the CCB and bay and i've been in it.

I’m 60% OK with it. Need that low to stall for longer and/or a tick south. Not a lot - I’ll take just the tip...of the deform.

4 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I’m 60% OK with it. Need that low to stall for longer and/or a tick south. Not a lot - I’ll take just the tip...of the deform.

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Probably still time for the tip to penetrate further south.  

Any elongation of the shaft where it can go deep and bottom out, oh lets say, EZF would be the best.  Not talking a narrow needle like shaft but one that has heft and girth.  One that leaves me covered in white.  And I'll be dripping if that happens.

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

That was a sleet bomb tho no? And very very rare honestly. But you're right, that was a coastal gone wrong in incredibly rare fashion. Personally, i love that storm for what it was. I mean our area was a legitimate glacier for days. 

Yes - Valentine's Day 2007 sleet fest.  Will never forget it.  Was the most sleet I've ever seen.  It started on the 13th and the sleet poured all night.  Our flight the morning of the 14th from Dulles for Tokyo and then on to Bangkok was one of the first to leave IAD that morning after the airport reopened.  They only had 1 of the 4 runways open.  

We moved to Bkk that morning.  When the taxi van finally showed up at the Intercon in Tyson's to pick us up with our 8 large suitcases, there was a near riot as 15 other people got the futile impression they were going to compete with us for the taxi. 

22 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yeah, I remember that Feb. 2007 storm and liked it as well.  Admittedly, it was a bit disappointing because for some time it looked like a great widespread 12" or so snow event through the DC area.  But even still, it was fun.  I got ~3" sleet from that and maybe some glaze, and it did indeed turn into a block of ice for some time (it was very cold leading into that storm and then again after).  I think areas just to the east of DC did get an appreciable ice storm from it.

I've said this before, but I also actually liked the winter of 2006-07, though many think it was "meh".  We just missed the Feb. 2007 event being something huge, sure, and it was warm up through about the 3rd week or so of January.  But dayum...February was a frozen tundra!  I think we also got a decent mixed event later in January too, leading into that pattern.  And Feb. 25 was like a 5-6" paste job.  Feb. 2015 (and into early March) was remarkably similar in many ways with the frigid cold, but we maxed out our potential a lot better!

That Feb 25th storm is kind of underrated I think. (Maybe because the V-day sleet bomb overshadows it.) But it snowed like hell for several hours that Sunday afternoon. Huge flakes IIRC. "Paste job" indeed! Coincided with my daughter's birthday party down in Glover Park. I remember the short trip back up to home was a bit interesting. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Nothing like people chatting about thundersnow potential near Rockville when I’m 20 minutes out from Charlottesville... the jinx is already working.

Nah, unlikely for me as well. Looking at mid/upper level panels the most likely places are clearly N of MD. However, transfer and rapidly deepening coastsls ALWAYS have tricks up their sleeve. If my yard gets thundersnow then something is prob going wrong north of me. Which is my preferred outcome so those that get shafted can suck it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Nothing like people chatting about thundersnow potential near Rockville when I’m 20 minutes out from Charlottesville... the jinx is already working.

You’ll win on the WAA.  Then you can probably take a long nap.  

59 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

@leesburg 04.

Are you at the mad house today? Or are you fortunate to have off lol.

Getting slammed big time. People everywhere by 730 this morning. 

I'm in manufacturing now, I worked in supermarkets from 1983 - 2014 and have been with an Organic dairy company since then. I don't work weekends lol I did go shopping earlier and my product was being hammered :)

• Like 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic