Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

29 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Not trying to beat a dead horse...but ‘15 didn’t get rolling until 1/27.  Melts galore up to that point.  Now before everybody goes ape-shit and says ‘15 isn’t walking in, I agree; and I’m not suggesting that.   The point is...plenty of big hits/seasons that we look back on with great fondness, did not get going until very late January, and sometimes even after that.   

I’ll take our chances with a -PNA and some -EPO  along with a -NAO, that’s not a bad set up imo. Bring it. 

I just want some snow on the ground....even a few inches would be fine at this point...I still have a frozen solid coating on the north facing side of the house from what seems like weeks ago. Lows in the teens, highs in the 30s has kept the ground mostly frozen. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

100%. The depicted upcoming pattern is a real bad one for everyone south of New England, even southern New England near the coast may have issues

This isnt true at all. 

If the NAO stays negative than the battle ground can be anywhere but this does favor SNE  northward.

54 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Not trying to beat a dead horse...but ‘15 didn’t get rolling until 1/27.  Melts galore up to that point.  Now before everybody goes ape-shit and says ‘15 isn’t walking in, I agree; and I’m not suggesting that.   The point is...plenty of big hits/seasons that we look back on with great fondness, did not get going until very late January, and sometimes even after that.   

I’ll take our chances with a -PNA and some -EPO  along with a -NAO, that’s not a bad set up imo. Bring it. 

Ehh I'll sell that.

Dec '14 was ugly and that extended to Jan 5. But Jan 8 had a low of -1 and a -20 anomaly. The only real melt beyond that was a 18h period (if memory serves me) which was a pretty good ZR event up north. None of this San Diego-but-colder weather.

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah.... I’d rather not be relying on a 2013 or 2015 second half... that just isn’t going to play out most of the time.

We can talk about potential until we are blue in the face, but reality is, we are coming up on a month between snow events here, in the heart of winter. Those are the facts.

Facts are scarey.

50 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Feb 5-6 was a great SWFE that stayed all snow pike northward. Feb 13-14 was a Miller A that was kind of cruddy inside of 128 but west of there it was excellent....had about a foot in that one. Couple other solid events on 2/17 and an advisory scraper on 2/15.

ORH actually had 41.5" that month. I wouldn't expect a repeat but there's potential obviously because when you bend back the PJ like that, it tends to be pretty active rather than crushing everything.

was that the year of that super cold Feb 14?  Or was that 2016? 

19 minutes ago, ariof said:

Kind of impressive: the Charles is iced over east of the Longfellow, despite the temperature at BOS not having fallen below 24 this month

Long nights still and really only 6-8 hours of each day is above freezing most days and not by a lot with low dewpoints keeping wetbulb below freezing. West side of BOS there is prob getting 5-7F colder than Logan at night too.

Not ideal for building ice, but it will consistently grow/thicken in that type of environment.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Long nights still and really only 6-8 hours of each day is above freezing most days and not by a lot with low dewpoints keeping wetbulb below freezing. West side of BOS there is prob getting 5-7F colder than Logan at night too.

Not ideal for building ice, but it will consistently grow/thicken in that type of environment.

Sounds like only In Tblizz area of Taunton there’s no ice. Everywhere else has skating and ice 

12 minutes ago, dryslot said:

We will need similar to salvage at least some of this season, 30+" that year in Feb up here.

I have a feeling it's going to get pretty active given the look....good news for NNE (and hopefully here in SNE) as latter January and February are less prone to cutters, so a lot of the precip will probably be snow/frozen.

We'll see if we can get back on track. A lot will probably depend on if we can keep a good arctic pattern deeper into February.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ariof said:

Ehh I'll sell that.

Dec '14 was ugly and that extended to Jan 5. But Jan 8 had a low of -1 and a -20 anomaly. The only real melt beyond that was a 18h period (if memory serves me) which was a pretty good ZR event up north. None of this San Diego-but-colder weather.

Don’t sell it cuz I meant “Melt” in the sense that folks were coming unhinged(Melting) in SNE that year big time.  And it flipped and the rest was history.  That was the point...not melting literally lol. 

I'm laughing at all that are freaking out. Things can change so quickly on these model runs. It's not very often where we get consistant snows ( at least here in SNE ) and cold. It is a hit or miss in this region. Do I think we are done and nothing else will happen. Not by a long shot. Even if its one more big storm and a few smaller ones in between, I'd be happy with that. In the end though, just happy to wake up everyday to my family being healthy and alive. What I do know is once we get that storm to materialize and come to fruition, all this cliff jumping or writing off Winter will stop ( for the moment..lol ). Try to sit back and enjoy the ride. We're not done. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2