Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah I could agree with that, it's pretty close to what the geography says.

I always think of it based on the shape of the East Coast and Atlantic Ocean... if you smooth out the east coast you can easily see the anomaly that sticks out into the Atlantic.

5064.gif.8821dc16fb4317683d1ec5ef9572decb.gif

northeastern-usa.jpe.e107ecb2f3bf4dd6bb255bebc52cff70.jpe

I'd nudge that a hair se....you can't have ORH as interior cp...that is just dumb. 

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'd nudge that a hair se....you can't have ORH as interior cp...that is just dumb. 

Yeah maybe I'm looking too much at the big picture.  I'm talking synoptic scale, that's why ORH is always just right "in any direction" to get hit with a coastal storm.  It's on the line between coastal plain and interior, IMO.  It is on the axis of the large scale Atlantic coastline.

18 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Like I said....a bit more se. The ORH spine is not CP.

Local exception for a very small area inside that line then.  Sure.  But the larger scale geography on the whole features a lot more marine influence in that area that sticks out into the Atlantic.  The line on the whole, as an average, works pretty well for areas that are affected more by marine influences and ocean storms.  Differentiating from the interior climate, wind speeds, vegetation, moisture, etc.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Oh I’ve been talking about that geographic truism for years yeah  I have even described that line as LGA to PWM

I think of SNE as a continental-marine hybrid climate.  Ocean modulates too much too often not to be considered as something like that. 

Yup, I've heard you mention it.  I'm a believer.  The geography that sticks out into the Atlantic and deviates from the mean coastline from SE US to Maritime region.  Large scale ocean feedback overwhelms that smallish slice of land on the grand scale.  Good description as a marine hybrid climate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Local exception for a very small area inside that line then.  Sure.  But the larger scale geography on the whole features a lot more marine influence in that area that sticks out into the Atlantic.  The line on the whole, as an average, works pretty well for areas that are affected more by marine influences and ocean storms.  Differentiating from the interior climate, wind speeds, vegetation, moisture, etc.

I don't think Kevin to ORH has much marine influence.

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It’s why our big heat has to come on a WNW or even NW flow as counter intuitive as that may seem. 

it’s also why some 2/3rds to 3/4 of all NE ‘severe’ days will feature line gapping or splitting 

You and PF are probably right generally speaking, but I am wired to consider it more from a winter perspective....and basically the only marine influence ORH has is precip augmentation on a deep layer e fetch due to terrain enhancement.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't think Kevin to ORH has much marine influence.

Yeah I think we are talking on different scales.  It's a gradient so for sure if compared to spots further east, it's less marine influence.  But compared to like Springfield/CT Valley it's maritime.  They'll see low clouds and east flow and higher RH in the means at ORH/TOL.  More NEly flow. To me there's a bigger axis at play that includes the east slopes of the ORH/TOL zone as maritime.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You and PF are probably right generally speaking, but I am wired to consider it more from a winter perspective....and basically the only marine influence ORH has is precip augmentation on a deep layer e fetch due to terrain enhancement.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah I think we are talking on different scales.  It's a gradient so for sure if compared to spots further east, it's less marine influence.  But compared to like Springfield/CT Valley it's maritime.  They'll see low clouds and east flow and higher RH in the means at ORH/TOL.  More NEly flow. To me there's a bigger axis at play that includes the east slopes of the ORH/TOL zone as maritime.

Okay, yea.

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I think I was wrong on this one.

I’m just wondering where those winters of yore from 2004-2011 went?  After that it seems so hit or miss.....sure there’s been biggies but never timed well.....anybody remember last year how we were throwing around “winter of yore” after December came in so great.....then last year happened....lol

25 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

Funny how a few years ago, 2015 to be exact, no one cared what was the definition of the coastal plain or the interior.  It didn't seem to matter much then.

Right ... a -7 standard deviation airmass floatin a storm through it tends to normalize matters