Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

9 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Eps also develops a negative EPO which will help us . Something needs to give in this pattern. 

The crazy thing about this pattern is that everyone in the lower 48 is getting screwed, north of 35N or so.  It's really bordering on ridiculous.  There is no cold anywhere, and this has gone on for about 6 weeks.  If this were early-mid Dec and we were saying this, fine...but it's mid-Jan now.

As an example, Chicago (ORD) has only had 2 days all season so far with a low temp colder than 18F (!!!).  And, only 5" of snow so far in the season.  That's just not acceptable.  And INL has only had 15" of snow since Dec 1st, and they're at a +18 temp departure for Jan so far.  It was 40F there on Jan 2nd...in the icebox of the nation.  Normal high is around 15.

Where is the cold air...anywhere in the lower 48??  And no, it doesn't count if Charleston or Savannah is -5F on departures.  No one cares about that. 

Looks like things may finally step down to cold later in January...but it should not take this long.  Ugh...I feel your pain.   

The operational Euro has a -EPO construct out there ending on D10 ... with ridging into the Alaskan sector and trough calving down stream into the Great Basin ...

...yet, no cold air in western Canada appreciable below seasonal norms..in fact, it may not even be at seasonal norms...

Gutless -EPO ...

3 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

The crazy thing about this pattern is that everyone in the lower 48 is getting screwed, north of 35N or so.  It's really bordering on ridiculous.  There is no cold anywhere, and this has gone on for about 6 weeks.  If this were early-mid Dec and we were saying this, fine...but it's mid-Jan now.

As an example, Chicago (ORD) has only had 2 days all season so far with a low temp colder than 18F (!!!).  And, only 5" of snow so far in the season.  That's just not acceptable.  And INL has only had 15" of snow since Dec 1st, and they're at a +18 temp departure for Jan so far.  It was 40F there on Jan 2nd...in the icebox of the nation.  Normal high is around 15.

Where is the cold air...anywhere in the lower 48??  And no, it doesn't count if Charleston or Savannah is -5F on departures.  No one cares about that. 

Looks like things may finally step down to cold later in January...but it should not take this long.  Ugh...I feel your pain.   

I mean it’s the coldest winter here in 6 years Tip, after months of 85+ I will take it. 

19 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

It just snowed in the south   ...what -

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Man lots of reports I’ve seen from Japan of massive sea-effect snow with 100mph winds on the western coast. Then you also have Shanghai in the deep freeze. Someone is getting it at least. 

I’ll have to check that out later, love a great Japanese snowstorm.  Those guys get possibly the most snow for reasonably inhabited areas.  Like lake effect on crystal meth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Wintry, snowy look. Snow coming 

1jJMpVb.jpg

Medium range is beyond 10 days though, which you cancelled. I agree it may be quiet until 20-21 or so, but I wouldn’t totally wouldn’t rule out something before then. Hell even nrn and western NE may see something this weekend.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Wintry, snowy look. Snow coming 

1jJMpVb.jpg

I will say that Ryan is always conservative, but I like that about him. He never hypes anything. With that said, I will be happy with one Blizzard from now until the end this Winter. Things dont seem to panning out the way they looked several weeks back, but thats the weather for ya! I never give up hope though. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I’ll have to check that out later, love a great Japanese snowstorm.  Those guys get possibly the most snow for reasonably inhabited areas.  Like lake effect on crystal meth.

Yeah and the latitude of some of these dumps are like 37-38N and near sea level. 

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Medium range is beyond 10 days though, which you cancelled. I agree it may be quiet until 20-21 or so, but I wouldn’t totally wouldn’t rule out something before then. Hell even nrn and western NE may see something this weekend.

When we post though we are all generally interested and discussing our region. I focus on SNE. Just like Freak , Finny and Slot focus on NNE.  We all generally are looking at where we live .  Up there, sure it may snow before then 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah and the latitude of some of these dumps are like 37-38N and near sea level. 

Over the weekend I had posted a link to a story from Washington Post from early last week about the snows in Japan. Some crazy photos and videos. Puts Weymouth’s famous OES to shame.

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

When we post though we are all generally interested and discussing our region. I focus on SNE. Just like Freak , Finny and Slot focus on NNE.  We all generally are looking at where we live .  Up there, sure it may snow before then 

I wouldn’t rule out something near the 18-19 either. May not be big, but something to keep an eye on. 

Just now, FRWEATHA said:

Over the weekend I had posted a link to a story from Washington Post from early last week about the snows in Japan. Some crazy photos and videos. Puts Weymouth’s famous OES to shame.

Yeah it’s nuts there. Jspin would be choking on bread and butter memes.