Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

19 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Interesting. I’m not old yet then if it’s been barely above freezing since the 2nd. 

I think this pattern is showing how much the freezing level matters.  I mean we knew it, that’s what NNE always talks about.  Just get it cold enough to snow and stay.

The highs have still been warm at the climo sites on average, but guess they feel cool compared to the lows.

All that matters is the freezing mark for wet-bulb temps in the afternoon.  If it doesn’t melt, it’s a win.

Seems like each of the last 4 or 5 winters into early springs have featured at least one episode exceeding +20 F daily anomalies or even more exotic ... lasting more than a single day when they occurred too. 

regardless of whether a  given season return to normal or snowed thereafter or not. And I’m not talking typical misty southerly T and DP 65ers. These were dry sub-boreal continental heat conveyor patterns ... Recalling one Feb and more than one March in said span over 80! ... I was stunned when it was 88 on March 30 in  ‘98 ... now that seems prophetic nonethewiser

16 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I mean last week for awhile we were like 34-35 for the high and 31 for the low I think for 2 or 3 days. 

It has definitely been warm.  Sure, there is ice skating and fishing to finally be had in WNE but we are at peak cold climo, so that should come as no surprise.  We AN until we not.

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Seems like each of the last 4 or 5 winters into early springs have featured at least one episode exceeding +20 F daily anomalies or even more exotic ... lasting more than a single day when they occurred too. 

regardless of whether a  given season return to normal or snowed thereafter or not

A lot of weird January's in the mix too.

5 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Where is that?  Not out of the ordinary for inland areas in the NW areas of Japan. 

Along the entire west coast actually at sea level. Of course inland up in the mountains too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/01/04/japan-ocean-effect-snow/%3foutputType=amp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Pure subjectivity .... it’s only been a month. 
You know I’m not saying it wouldn’t aggravate people I’m just saying it’s made interminably worse by setting peoples expectations I don’t think that’s really common sense deniable

it may yet snow before the 20 th tho

Just me, but I'd be even more pissed without that one event.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Huh, seasonably cold!?  Or just near freezing enough to keep frozen?

ORH’s last below normal day was on December 19th.  BDL on the 20th and BOS on the 21st.

We are going on several weeks without a daily departure below normal.  That’s incredibly warm.

ORH... +6.4

BDL... +6.3

BOS... +4.2

Thos anomalies are due to nights for the most part...days haven't been that warm.

Yeah definitely the overnight lows, but it's still an average high of 36F at 1,000ft in ORH.  Normal is 31F.  That's +5 on highs at 1,000ft.

I didn't mean reasonably cold as in avg or below anomalies....I meant that its been cold enough for minor melting over an extended period.

I knew someone would say this.

Yeah, that's a warm pattern.  2012 or 2015 levels, the highs are noticeably above normal and the lows are just ridiculous.

Bottom line is that I have had the same small bankings in tact since xmas,  regardless of what the anomaly is....there has been no excessive warmth and minimal melting....weak sun and upper 30's for the most part.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

The perception is the lack of cutters torching it and giving you those +20 days. Bud it’s just been steady AN with the lows seemingly driving it. But even here, upper 30s to near 40 during the day and lows in the 20s will give AN readings for sure during peak cold Climo.

It’s definitely the lack of huge torch days that is making it seem chillier than it has been. 

A +6 day isn’t that weird by itself. Most wont notice it. Esp if it is screwed warmer on the low temp. But when you get like 10 days straight of them it sneakily adds up to a pretty damned warm period. 

• Like 4