Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

22 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Do you have any theory on why every, single SW this season has attenuated on approach to the region?

We have had a lot of Pacific flow. Fast flow that doesn't really allow any S/W to amp up and buckle. I thought the 18th took a step in a good direction. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

We have had a lot of Pacific flow. Fast flow that doesn't really allow any S/W to amp up and buckle. I thought the 18th took a step in a good direction. 

I know that, but I mean relative to the life cycle of the SW...they are always at their nadir as they pass our longitude. Its like a longwave defect in the pattern for us this season.

We have not had a lot of meridional flow. You'll have something briefly favorable, and then a ridge buckles and breaks off into the west and you're left with a weak + tilted trough from NM to WV.  That should change.

I agree it will change, but it seems they always deamplify as they approach us.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I know that, but I mean relative to the life cycle of the SW...they are always at their nadir as they pass our longitude. Its like a longwave defect in the pattern for us this season.

I think more in my post above. Just need the flow to buckle, and we have not had that. The flow in Canada has remained progressive in a way and the height field cannot buckle.

I think more in my post above. Just need the flow to buckle, and we have not had that. The flow in Canada has remained progressive in a way and the height field cannot buckle.

I know, but you would expect the timing of these nuances to change, and it has not.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, but you would think out of sheer luck one would wax as it nears....no breaks.

Sometimes it is hard to quantify. Things aren't linear. IOW, maybe one slight thing is off and the whole thing just can't get together in time, or blows up way offshore. You just remove that one feature making it hard on s/w's to amplify and boom..it would come up the coast. It's almost the opposite of 2015. We had everything perfectly in place to go well for us. Move something or change a feature ever so slightly and our snowfall could have been cut in half. 

50 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Was one of them on a Saturday night and the Pats played with the snow still in the stands? I remember the fans throwing snow up in the air to one of the songs, it was pretty cool and they won the Super Bowl that year.

As 40/70 responded, that was 2003. That's been my avatar for a while.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Sometimes it is hard to quantify. Things aren't linear. IOW, maybe one slight thing is off and the whole thing just can't get together in time, or blows up way offshore. You just remove that one feature making it hard on s/w's to amplify and boom..it would come up the coast. It's almost the opposite of 2015. We had everything perfectly in place to go well for us. Move something or change a feature ever so slightly and our snowfall could have been cut in half. 

This is what I mean.....some timing nuance in the longwave pattern is just off. Was also thinking 2015 inverse.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This is what I mean.....some timing nuance in the longwave pattern is just off. Was also thinking 2015 inverse.

Loop this. It's the Canadian, but see how the s/w at hr 204 in the Gulf goes poof. In this case the PV in Canada and lack of a decent ridge out west (for now on this model) just can't allow for things to buckle and take off. 

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gem&region=atl&pkg=z500_vort&runtime=2021011212&fh=120