• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

I was thinking back to '18-'19. Even though for here it was near normal in snowfall, every storm virtually over-achieved here. From the pre Thanksgiving storm, to the big March bomb...most did better than my initial thoughts for my area. Don't forget the ice on 12/23 and then the big snow to ice event just prior to MLK. That was sneaky ice well into SE MA. 

42 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

@WinterWolf......the resident weather coach lol

Lol...just trying to keep things upbeat and in perspective. It’s a good look..in fact really good. Sure we can strike out(and maybe we do), but we’ll have some shots. And that’s all anybody can ask for..in anything.  

And being a PE Teacher that’s what I do most all day...coach. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I was thinking back to '18-'19. Even though for here it was near normal in snowfall, every storm virtually over-achieved here. From the pre Thanksgiving storm, to the big March bomb...most did better than my initial thoughts for my area. Don't forget the ice on 12/23 and then the big snow to ice event just prior to MLK. That was sneaky ice well into SE MA. 

We have been generally lucky, regionally, but your area takes to another level.

Just now, WinterWolf said:

Lol...just trying to keep things upbeat and in perspective. It’s a good look..in fact really good. Sure we can strike out(and maybe we do), but we’ll have some shots. And that’s all anybody can ask for..in anything.  

And being a PE Teacher that’s what I do most all day...coach. 

That is one of a handful of posts I have ever seen you make that didn't include a question mark lol

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Its worth it to see what you did in 2015....I'd take 10 March 2001 and Dec 1992 episodes for that, if I were you.

March '01 wasn't so bad as we had a decent ending. Dec 1992 was brutal...brutal...brutal. Especially as a small weenie when you were incessantly bombarded by your parents about how we don't get snow like we used to, bliz of '78..etc. I was about to get the big one. Blizzard warnings and 12-18"+ from all the outlets. I remember distinctly my mom saying this may be the biggest storm you've seen. Only to see it change back to rain, knowing it was pounding 5 miles away. I still have PTSD from that, and I know it's coming. It took days for me to shake off how pissed and upset I was. I thought I would never get to see the big one. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My three most traumatic events are PD II (1 foot subby hole, surrounded by 2 foot reports), 12/5/03 (1 foot subby hole surrounded by 2-3' reports just 5 miles away), and the second event in Dec 1996, which did to me pretty much exactly what Dec 1992 did to Scott. I was sweating the R/S line headed into it. It started pounding heavy snow, and I have just had a good 6-8" in the first event....I'm thinking, "this is great, we're off...I'll have a great pack headed into the holidays". Then, bang...its pouring after 2" of slush, and I hear a report from the next town over in Billerica that its dumping paste with 5". A few hours later I see Cantore spontaneously ejaculate amid the glow of lighting on camera, and the etching of an eternal scar was complete.

• Haha 3

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

My three most traumatic events are PD II, 12/5/03, and the second event in Dec 1996, which did to me pretty much exactly what Dec 1992 did to Scott. I was sweating the R/S line headed into it. It started pounding heavy snow, and I have just had a good 6-8" in the first event....I'm thinking, "this is great, we're off...I'll have a great pack headed into the holidays". Then, bang...its pouring after 2" and slush, I hear a report from the next town over in Billerica that its dumping paste with 5". A few hours later I see Cantore spontaneously ejaculate amid the glow of lighting on camera, and the etching of a scar was complete.

Jan 8, 96 would be on this list if I had lived in Methuen, then.....but thankfully, I was in Wilmington.

Nothing came close to that after. Sure I have my share of disappointments, but nothing like that. I will say, Feb '06 comes close. That made me hate the dryslot. I saw NYC getting crushed with 28" and was like WTF!! I had no idea, that was supposed to be here. Since then, that made me always seek out the slot. 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nothing came close to that after. Sure I have my share of disappointments, but nothing like that. I will say, Feb '06 comes close. That made me hate the dryslot. I saw NYC getting crushed with 28" and was like WTF!! I had no idea, that was supposed to be here. Since then, that made me always seek out the slot. 

Feb 2006 was Meh for me....not a high level disappointment, but lame, nonetheless. I had like 16"....like you, I am looking at the mega band out west, expecting it to come east because I had no clue about the mid levels then.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Feb 2006 was Meh for me....not a high level disappointment, but lame, nonetheless. I had like 16"....like you, I am looking at the mega band out west, expecting it to come east because I had no clue about the mid levels then.

Feb 2006 was 17" of all treble, no base.  IIRC, it was gone a few days later (at least where I was).

Just now, SouthCoastMA said:

2011 triggered me hard..missed out on about 30" of snow by a matter of 5-10 miles. But I haven't come back to that dark place since. I know most love that Winter. 

That was a sneaky screw job from about Duxbury to SE RI. My parents live in Marshfield near the Pembroke/Norwell line. They near 2' OTG at one point with barely any in downtown Plymouth. That's incredible. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

That was a sneaky screw job from about Duxbury to SE RI. My parents live in Marshfield near the Pembroke/Norwell line. They near 2' OTG at one point with barely any in downtown Plymouth. That's incredible. 

PTSD inducing. I remember driving to my buddies house in Carver sometime in mid February.they had about a foot+ OTG while my backyard near Swifts Beach had a spotty coating. 

7 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Jan 2015 will always haunt me here in NYC. I know you guys got smoked but the fact that 2’-3’ was expected and only got 11” hurts. That and only a mere 25 miles made the difference between 1’ totals to 2’ totals

Yea. We don’t bring up that storm with the WOR SNE crowd. 

50 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

12/23 ice event was 2017....2 days before the 12/25 snow.

That was a great December back in the interior. We had pack laid down on 12/9 and never lost it until the mid-January 2018 torch.

14 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Jan 2015 will always haunt me here in NYC. I know you guys got smoked but the fact that 2’-3’ was expected and only got 11” hurts. That and only a mere 25 miles made the difference between 1’ totals to 2’ totals

Try being me in in 12/5/03....11", my dad 8 miles away had 26"....10 miles east of me had about 38".

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

12/23 ice event was 2017....2 days before the 12/25 snow.

That was a great December back in the interior. We had pack laid down on 12/9 and never lost it until the mid-January 2018 torch.

Oh right. Ha. That ice and then the Christmas morning blitz that year.