Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It just snowed in the south   ...what -

But that doesn’t matter. If it happens to be 30F for a day or two in the Deep South, good for them...but that’s not true cold on an absolute level.

And, even so, that snow will melt within a day or two...so it’s pointless. If it were April, that’s a different story...but it’s the heart of winter now. 

I am talking about the absolute degree of cold air...and mainly north of 35N...like how winter should be, when every time you walk outside, it’s painful. Children crying for their mommas, winters of yore, etc. 

As an example - it looks like a -EPO may be coming, but there is no cold to tap into. If you get a good old fashioned -EPO, you’ll start to see -20 temps progged in the upper Midwest...not temps either side of 0. It’s like all of the cold is tempered, and a million things need to go right to get decent wintry weather in winter. 

What happened to seasons in seasons? In JJA, we expect it to feel like summer...and nature usually obliges. Just want DJF to actually be wintry, with some degree of consistency. 

The upper Midwest has been baking for 6 weeks...hardly any true cold all winter in the Dakotas/MN/WI.

Heaven forbid if this is the new normal. 

Just venting...very frustrating. Sorry to pop in to the New England thread, but I figured there would be sympathetic ears given that you (and NYC to DC area) all are experiencing the same crappy and boring wx that we’re dealing with in the Midwest. 

46 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Yes. It's been a bummer. I'd like some really cold weather. 

From Judah Cohen's blog today:

"So though currently widespread normal to above normal temperatures exist across much of Canada and the US, temperatures are predicted to turn colder across both Canada and the US over the next two weeks."

..." I am skeptical of models forecasts beyond a week, I expect the models to struggle.  Second even if the cold air settles in western North America for a period, as winter progresses, I expect the cold air to come east with time not unlike 2012/13 and 2017/18.  Most of the time you expect the cavalry to show up and it does but not always.  And two winters when I waited, and waited for the cavalry to show up (aka the cold air) but it never did are winters 2005/06 and to a lesser extent 2018/19.   I am not expecting a repeat of those winters, but it is certainly possible... "

https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation/

29 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Wow! I love snow and all but man waste high snow ill leave to them. 2008-09 winter down here was nuts! It looked like that in many places and I was good on not having snow for quite some time. Seems like I got my wish for the most part lol

To give reference to this video in the explanation section they say 10 feet of snow on the ground in Hijiori and in Takada they received 6 feet of snow in 72 hours. Now im very unfamiliar with Japan but this is wild to hear.

Just now, so_whats_happening said:

Wow! I love snow and all but man waste high snow ill leave to them. 2008-09 winter down here was nuts! It looked like that in many places and I was good on not having snow for quite some time. Seems like I got my wish for the most part lol

Some of those shots were head high lol. Looked to have meat in there as well. No fluff.

We should know alot about how the second half of this month will play out by this weekend I would think. Looks like the changes that would start occurring (at least on the Pacific side) happen this weekend. GFS at least with significant changes to the jet structure across East Asia. Instead of this intense jet extension we've been seeing looks like may even see a series of wave breaking off the East Asian continent which would help drive ridging in the PNA/EPO region (hopefully)

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Why is there OES so prolific?

Coastline shape and especially the mountainous terrain. You can get blocked flow like you hear about powderfreak talk about sometimes up in the greens. Only the mountain elevations are higher in japan so the flow becomes blocked easier. When that happens, it creates extra low level convergence to the west of them. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Coastline shape and especially the mountainous terrain. You can get blocked flow like you hear about powderfreak talk about sometimes up in the greens. Only the mountain elevations are higher in japan so the flow becomes blocked easier. When that happens, it creates extra low level convergence to the west of them. 

They also have such a better cold resource than we do unfortunately.

1 hour ago, beavis1729 said:

But that doesn’t matter. If it happens to be 30F for a day or two in the Deep South, good for them...but that’s not true cold on an absolute level.

And, even so, that snow will melt within a day or two...so it’s pointless. If it were April, that’s a different story...but it’s the heart of winter now. 

I am talking about the absolute degree of cold air...and mainly north of 35N...like how winter should be, when every time you walk outside, it’s painful. Children crying for their mommas, winters of yore, etc. 

As an example - it looks like a -EPO may be coming, but there is no cold to tap into. If you get a good old fashioned -EPO, you’ll start to see -20 temps progged in the upper Midwest...not temps either side of 0. It’s like all of the cold is tempered, and a million things need to go right to get decent wintry weather in winter. 

What happened to seasons in seasons? In JJA, we expect it to feel like summer...and nature usually obliges. Just want DJF to actually be wintry, with some degree of consistency. 

The upper Midwest has been baking for 6 weeks...hardly any true cold all winter in the Dakotas/MN/WI.

Heaven forbid if this is the new normal. 

Just venting...very frustrating. Sorry to pop in to the New England thread, but I figured there would be sympathetic ears given that you (and NYC to DC area) all are experiencing the same crappy and boring wx that we’re dealing with in the Midwest. 

Couldn’t get past your first sentence 

in your previous you said,

The crazy thing about this pattern is that everyone in the lower 48 is getting screwed”

of course it matters to the people that like snow in the south

it’s snowing down there - hello? That denies your conclusion. Lol. Wow

• Weenie 1

I get the feeling that this would’ve been much better off as winter romance if it never snowed that one storm in December…

It seems to be when you get that one event early ... it seems that the early snow absolutely screws everybody spirits if it doesn’t do anything afterwards - far worse than if folks had just never been exposed to it at all. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I get the feeling that this would’ve been much better off as winter romance if it never snowed that one storm in December…

It seems to be when you get that one event early ... it seems that the early snow absolutely screws everybody spirits if it doesn’t do anything afterwards - far worse than if folks had just never been exposed to it at all. 

I still say that anomalous snows in October are not good juju for the winter ahead.  :whistle:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

I still say that anomalous snows in October are not good juju for the winter ahead.  :whistle:

Well .., I dunno nothin about juju or destiny or weird little angels sitting on our shoulders ... But I am fully aware of pricktease sour grapes. Lol

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I’ll take 12”+ in December any day. That’s a big deal to me, especially on the coast. 

No doubt but the vaporized pack with damage in the basement on Xmas killed that good vibe for me. Totals are what they are though so 15” for the season on Jan11th is still ahead of schedule I believe. 

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

No doubt but the vaporized pack with damage in the basement on Xmas killed that good vibe for me. Totals are what they are though so 15” for the season on Jan11th is still ahead of schedule I believe. 

Yeah I know.....I get it. That part sucked. But I did enjoy the biggest December event since 2010.