Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Christmas Eve Mega Front Disco/Obs

WinterWxLuvr

26 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I need to start making a journal of memorable weather events.  I’m always amazed at the ability by people here to remember random azz events.  I’m happy if I can remember where I put my iPhone down

I did from 1965-2011. We had it on display at one of the conferences. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Fully expected it to be raining already did this slow down? Midnight high tomorrow could be ugly....still hopefully to see some snow TV on Christmas day

Based on the lines at the stores yesterday I think the rain is still trying to do self checkout.  They have an ID required item and the light is blinking

11/11/95 event - remember it well!

Warnings up, red screen banner on TWC.  I remember seeing flashes to the west and at the same time faint white bands on the TV.  Wasn't sure if it was lightning or power line flashes.

It came like a derecho.  Bright green flashes overhead.  I was in Towson and it reminded me of that CNN video with Bernard Shaw reporting from Baghdad when the first operatives of Desert Storm initiated!  (due to the phosphor green night vision lens)

Our power went out big time and we had a few 70mph gusts.  It was like a severe thunderstorm in the summer but the temps dropped from near 70 through the 40s.  Then the sleet started, changing to snow.  Could not believe the roads caved so fast.

My wife and I remember this well, she does because I left the toilet seat up and she used the bathroom and fell in the bowl!  Of course she would remember that! :P

EDIT:

If that wind model verifies (they rarely do) and we have 60+ gust or two between 2200 and 0000 here and my front door weatherstripping howls (sounds like a cow playing a kazoo!) I'll upload security cam footage to my youtube channel! :D

And those snow rollers, TBH I would have thought those were bales of hay that were shellacked with snow!  That's really cooi! :)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, IUsedToHateCold said:

I’ve pretty much punted on accumulations at this point after 2 inches of rain, but some snow falling tomorrow morning would be nice. GFS still shows it ending as snow around 7AM. 

Yeah, no one east of the Alleghany front should get expecting accums from this. Rain, wind, and a cool down.

33 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Up to 40 at deep creek with mod/heavy rain on radar. 

I’m under a high wind warning at my parents place in ocean county, NJ for 60 mph wind gusts. Wild. 

Wow you've got it covered -- parents place for coastal/beach blizzards, home for DC specials and Deep Creek!

Lt rain and 43 here. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, snowmagnet said:

It’s raining much earlier than I had expected based on what I read yesterday. I can only imagine that doesn’t bode well to get a changeover to snow.  I guess the best we can hope for is snow showers on Friday.  

I doubt the start time of rain will have much impact on the change to snow. We want the low to develop further east on the  front or luck out from the upper level energy tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

HRRR shows a better quick flip to snow in the NW zones but really shows to potential and convective nature of the late afternoon snow showers just south of DC and east.

ETA:  Long range HRRR so .....

V6tjLtR.png

That would be more than DC got in the storm last week :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Almost a squally look to the snow . Western crew definitely should like this. 

hrrr-conus-dc-refc_ptype-8883200.png

Couple frames later ... looses some punch but still there .

hrrr-conus-dc-refc_ptype-8894000.png

I prefer your style of looking for positives vs those who like to "keep it real" and "look for what could go wrong" and want to tell us why we shouldn't expect anything. Nothing wrong with a positive attitude, nobody is going to die if you're wrong...we love snow...right?!?!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Weenie 1

19 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

HRRR shows a better quick flip to snow in the NW zones but really shows to potential and convective nature of the late afternoon snow showers just south of DC and east.

ETA:  Long range HRRR so .....

V6tjLtR.png

That narrow W-E band has been persistent on most guidance, and pretty much in that same location, although it looks overdone on the HRRR. Need a slight shift northward!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

That narrow W-E band has been persistent on most guidance, and pretty much in that same location, although it looks overdone on the HRRR. Need a slight shift northward!

No way, leave that baby right where it is.  An inch of snow on Christmas would almost make me forgive the last two years. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, CAPE said:

So close to me. . That is Jeb country.  It’s the Jebman miracle snow. 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic