• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Malcolm M
    Newest Member
    Malcolm M

Dec 16-17 obs/nowcast thread

1 minute ago, DomNH said:

I'm pretty sure @HoarfrostHubb was doing naked snow angels in like 2 feet of powder during Oct '11 while back east we were playing cards by candlelight. You guys definitely do get in on those ML bands sometimes. 

Yup... my profile pic is my back deck in Oct '11.   22" in the later storm after 3-4" a few days earlier.

We get hammered now and then...  close to a foot here today.  I need to go measure/snowblow in a little bit

How do people like cub cadet snowblowers? I did the best research I could in limited time this morning. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cadet-2X-26-in-243-cc-Two-Stage-Gas-Snow-Blower-with-Electric-Start-Power-Steering-and-Steel-Chute-2X-26-HP/301852617

Waitinf until the snow is done but took one pass around back and it worked well 

2 minutes ago, DomNH said:

I'm pretty sure @HoarfrostHubb was doing naked snow angels in like 2 feet of powder during Oct '11 while back east we were playing cards by candlelight. You guys definitely do get in on those ML bands sometimes. 

Well that was 9 years ago, and it was a "shoulder season" event.....soooooo see what I'm saying? Plus I didn't live out here then to boot. 

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

How do people like cub cadet snowblowers? I did the best research I could in limited time this morning. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cadet-2X-26-in-243-cc-Two-Stage-Gas-Snow-Blower-with-Electric-Start-Power-Steering-and-Steel-Chute-2X-26-HP/301852617

Can't be worse than my Crapsman... 

2 minutes ago, DomNH said:

They also got 2+ feet in Dec last year....and 20+ in Jan 2011

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I think there ok from some i know that have them, I have a JD.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Back to that Ski Patroller at Okemo... she’s posted some great stuff on FB this morning.

If her time stamps are correct (no reason not to believe it), they were getting 8” per hour rates.

Actually, they were getting 6” SNOW DEPTH increase in 45 minutes... at those snow depths, there has to be settling.  I wonder if this was measured on a cleared area if it was actually 8” in 45 min or even more?

I mean this is some of the highest documented rates I’ve seen.  But to have snow depth increase 6” in 45 minutes is a 8” per hour rate.

I wonder if they had rates of 10”/hour on a cleared surface?

3CD771B2-E6F5-405C-B7B8-99B4A7C6AB5A.thumb.jpeg.066e8ecacdd23fdc6be594f56384595a.jpeg

41264585-AC20-471C-8CD2-49BAD0EB0ED8.thumb.jpeg.4dc3038b58ead082288dd18f3267a418.jpeg

0B16E2DF-2361-4373-A10E-365AF7A319DD.thumb.jpeg.d8e49ebdff1589a7d360844214e7d1e8.jpeg

286CC4A9-2EB6-46D1-BE82-7C08929A9EAA.thumb.jpeg.6bd897647ffdc5ff01eb7a28a1ccb13f.jpeg

3 inches in 13 minutes is almost 14 an hour. I bet you’re right they would’ve Had 10 if they measured the hour of peak intensity on a board

• Like 2

Just now, Whineminster said:

Well that was 9 years ago, and it was a "shoulder season" event.....soooooo see what I'm saying? Plus I didn't live out here then to boot. 

Dec 1992 Princeton had 42"

March 2001 we had some big totals.  Feb 2015 we got 100" in a few weeks     

2018 we had a big storm..,I think?   Nemo was close to 20" here 

You and I really can't omplain compared to a majority of SNE people...

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Did you see your old digs at JP have 13 inches last report?

Great storm for the Boston metro! I was surprised how cold it was even on the warm side of the coastal front. Was worried it would be in the 32-33 range rather than 29-30. Deerfield helped to avoid power problems. I was checking on that beast WCB band before I went to bed wishing on some level I could be there... Maybe some day.

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I'm going to try out my parents' new Cub Cadet three stage later on. My dad says it kicks ass. 

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Highly rated.   Then again I can shovel for you and have all of your neighbors give you dirty looks all winter...

• Haha 1

Just now, weathafella said:

OT but maybe a little fun Monday night or Tuesday next week?

Let's refresh the snowpack and do Christmas right.  Let's just pray there are no cutters in our future as that would be disastrous with this snow...especially on roofs in the area.

2 minutes ago, LaGrangewx said:

3 inches in 13 minutes is almost 14 an hour. I bet you’re right they would’ve Had 10 if they measured the hour of peak intensity on a board

Yeah I mean those rates are the only way to get like 41” of depth in 11 hours.  They had bare ground at midnight.  At some point it had to be like a foot an hour.

Im blown away, I’ve never seen anything like that.

12am... bare ground

11am... 41” depth.  :lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Ariens all the way. Their snowblowers will get passed down from generation to generation.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Snow-Removal-Equipment-Snow-Blowers-Gas-Snow-Blowers-Two-Stage-Snow-Blowers/N-5yc1vZ2fkp3fp/Ntk-EnrichedProductInfo/Ntt-ariens?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5

Ariens history - I have a 1961 that's still running!

https://scotlawrence.github.io/ariens/Page4.html

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I mean those rates are the only way to get like 41” of depth in 11 hours.  They had bare ground at midnight.  At some point it had to be like a foot an hour.

12am... bare ground

That's not even possible for me to comprehend.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rnaude241 said:

We got an Ariens 2 years ago and the best part about it how easily it chews up heavy snow banks. I love the thing. The snow banks were easily 3+ feet in front of my driveway and it made fairly quick work of them today.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

21" still spitting out some lighter snow.

great storm.  you didn't quite get all of that band that was sitting up here, but 21 is fantastic for anywhere around here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

We got an Ariens 2 years ago and the best part about it how easily it chews up heavy snow banks. I love the thing. The snow banks were easily 3+ feet in front of my driveway and it made fairly quick work of them today.

Ariens and Kubota are the best

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

12am... bare ground

You know, just the other day I was wondering about the highest snowfall rate ever recorded. Whatever it is, I'm sure Okemo and dendrite came close.

Is a foot per hour even possible? I can only imagine what it would look like.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That's not even possible for me to comprehend.

I think there are going to be some good case studies on that mesoband at some point.  It had QPF and crosshairs in the DGZ.  I bet they still had 2”+ water in a narrow zone in that band.

Its fluffy but there’s still water in it based on the reports.  Like BGM’s 42” had 2.80” water.  Good fluff factor but 2.80” QPF in 24 hours at temps in the teens is nothing to scoff at.

• Like 2