Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Dec 16-17 obs/nowcast thread

ORH_wxman

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Did you see your old digs at JP have 13 inches last report?

Great storm for the Boston metro! I was surprised how cold it was even on the warm side of the coastal front. Was worried it would be in the 32-33 range rather than 29-30. Deerfield helped to avoid power problems. I was checking on that beast WCB band before I went to bed wishing on some level I could be there... Maybe some day.

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

How do people like cub cadet snowblowers? I did the best research I could in limited time this morning. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cadet-2X-26-in-243-cc-Two-Stage-Gas-Snow-Blower-with-Electric-Start-Power-Steering-and-Steel-Chute-2X-26-HP/301852617

Waitinf until the snow is done but took one pass around back and it worked well 

I'm going to try out my parents' new Cub Cadet three stage later on. My dad says it kicks ass. 

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

How do people like cub cadet snowblowers? I did the best research I could in limited time this morning. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cadet-2X-26-in-243-cc-Two-Stage-Gas-Snow-Blower-with-Electric-Start-Power-Steering-and-Steel-Chute-2X-26-HP/301852617

Highly rated.   Then again I can shovel for you and have all of your neighbors give you dirty looks all winter...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LaGrangewx said:

3 inches in 13 minutes is almost 14 an hour. I bet you’re right they would’ve Had 10 if they measured the hour of peak intensity on a board

Yeah I mean those rates are the only way to get like 41” of depth in 11 hours.  They had bare ground at midnight.  At some point it had to be like a foot an hour.

Im blown away, I’ve never seen anything like that.

12am... bare ground

11am... 41” depth.  :lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Ariens all the way. Their snowblowers will get passed down from generation to generation.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Snow-Removal-Equipment-Snow-Blowers-Gas-Snow-Blowers-Two-Stage-Snow-Blowers/N-5yc1vZ2fkp3fp/Ntk-EnrichedProductInfo/Ntt-ariens?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5

Ariens history - I have a 1961 that's still running!

https://scotlawrence.github.io/ariens/Page4.html

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I mean those rates are the only way to get like 41” of depth in 11 hours.  They had bare ground at midnight.  At some point it had to be like a foot an hour.

12am... bare ground

That's not even possible for me to comprehend.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rnaude241 said:

We got an Ariens 2 years ago and the best part about it how easily it chews up heavy snow banks. I love the thing. The snow banks were easily 3+ feet in front of my driveway and it made fairly quick work of them today.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

12am... bare ground

You know, just the other day I was wondering about the highest snowfall rate ever recorded. Whatever it is, I'm sure Okemo and dendrite came close.

Is a foot per hour even possible? I can only imagine what it would look like.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think there are going to be some good case studies on that mesoband at some point.  It had QPF and crosshairs in the DGZ.  I bet they still had 2”+ water in a narrow zone in that band.

Its fluffy but there’s still water in it based on the reports.  Like BGM’s 42” had 2.80” water.  Good fluff factor but 2.80” QPF in 24 hours at temps in the teens is nothing to scoff at.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Only time I've ever seen anything like that was Tahoe...was in a storm there where it dumped like 70-75 inches in 2.5 days, and the peak of it was probably 10" per hour type stuff.

I guess December 23, 1997 was pretty close in ORH with 6-7" per hour.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I think there are going to be some good case studies on that mesoband at some point.  It had QPF and crosshairs in the DGZ.  I bet they still had 2”+ water in a narrow zone in that band.

Its fluffy but there’s still water in it based on the reports.  Like BGM’s 42” had 2.80” water.  Good fluff factor but 2.80” QPF in 24 hours at temps in the teens is nothing to scoff at.

I just looked quickly at the NAM 12 hours apart and it's crazy really. Went from lift all above the DGZ at PWM to 40-50 ubar right in the heart of it. Snow forecast jumped from 9" to 17" with similar QPF. Our 12z sounding matches the 12z run pretty closely. The DGZ is nearly surface to 500 mb. Doesn't matter where you start lifting from, it's dendrites.

34 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Thanks for the shoutout! Well, I measured a couple different ways and I think I came up with 11.5"....almost 9 inches of fluff followed by a couple that compacted easily. When everything averaged out, 11.5" will do it for me. I should have cleared the board before that sleety mix showed up...next time, hopefully it is trying to determine whether we have 29 or 30 inches

Yea if you cleared it, would have been 13” maybe. It’s all good, let’s stick with 11.5” to make the next one more special. I’m still hunting for that 18+ biggie that I haven’t had since 2011.  One day I’d like a Dendy 30-36” so I can retire on top ha.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Only time I've ever seen anything like that was Tahoe...was in a storm there where it dumped like 70-75 inches in 2.5 days, and the peak of it was probably 10" per hour type stuff.

I guess December 23, 1997 was pretty close in ORH with 6-7" per hour.

When the cold conveyor really kicked in here and we started getting that easterly flow, the snow really took on the look of some of our better ocean effect. Just really dumping dendrites.

22 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Love my new Ariens 24 sho platinum spent all day learning how to use it. My neighbors enjoyed my learning process lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea if you cleared it, would have been 13” maybe. It’s all good, let’s stick with 11.5” to make the next one more special. I’m still hunting for that 18+ biggie that I haven’t had since 2011.  One day I’d like a Dendy 30-36” so I can retire on top ha.

yup, now lets add to this pack...a couple 2-4, 3-6 inch snows will go nicely with our base.

One thing I know I can do at this location is "fake cold", so the question is how low can we go with all of this new snow on the ground....

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Even as the intensity of the band comes down on reflectivity we're still snowing just as hard as at its peak. Must be the low levels doing the bulk of the work currently. When PWM is 16 though you can do that and it still works out.

It's the opposite of the 12/5 event....I think all of our lift down here has been lower level stuff since about 4-5am, but we've kept nice dendrites mostly. Helps when it's like -8C to -10C in the 850-925 layer with all that easterly flow supplying tons of salt nuclei.

• Like 2