Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Active mid December with multiple event potential

Typhoon Tip

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That’s just fronto in 1 level. It slopes toward the cold side with height. The QS banding doesn’t have to magically line up with H7 all of the time. A lot of the time it’s 550-650. It’s like only using 850 temps for warmth aloft...sometimes it’s a torch between H7 and H85. 

Yeah, really just need to find the DGZ level and best omega. But like you say, because the best lift is at one level, the precip will fall out slightly NW of there.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

That's where we joke about the PF currier and ives band, it's like 600mb many times. All those times where we said that you would get decent snows...it was from the area above 700. Sometimes looking at 500mb VVs will help you interpolate between 700 and 500 to get an idea. You can also look at the temps at those levels to get an idea of roughly where the -12 to -18c layer is. 

Yeah I've had my share of 600mb bands, lol.  I always look at those Coolwx graphics for the slice of atmosphere vs. time to see where the lift and DGZ is.  I do like the visualization and evolution of those 600-800mb fronto maps... shows how this event should play out pretty well.  There's a wall that comes in over everyone in the SNE forum and then pivots across that interior zone the GFS has the max QPF over.  Overall a big storm for the heartland of the Northeast.    

Not going to lie, I definitely should've traveled down to my parent's house for this one... I think they'll get croaked.  That area has had a decent run of it in recent years... they had like 26" from the early December event last winter too.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, weathafella said:

You guys are something else!  I remember when 6 inches was like pulling teeth.  Throwing 20 around like water.....you have no idea how blessed we’ve been over the past 25-30 years!

there will be lean times for major winter storms but honestly they are more the exception, jmo. Most of 80's were rough of course until 92-93 but yet many had a few moderate to heavier snowfalls sprinkled in. Also can say 05-6 and last winter were pretty mediocre if not bad for many, but had a major event in the mix.

1 minute ago, Dr. Dews said:

there will be lean times for major winter storms but honestly they are more the exception, jmo. Most of 80's were rough of course until 92-93 but yet many had a few moderate to heavier snowfalls sprinkled in. Also can say 05-6 and last winter were pretty mediocre if not bad for many, but had a major event in the mix.

True.  But I remember going 4-5 years straight when it was really tough to get a big one.

56 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That’s just fronto in 1 level. It slopes toward the cold side with height. The QS banding doesn’t have to magically line up with H7 all of the time. A lot of the time it’s 550-650. It’s like only using 850 temps for warmth aloft...sometimes it’s a torch between H7 and H85. 

it's also typically slanted too... The fronto-g band lags fallout after initiation due to lifting the parcel at a slant-wise trajectory  blah blah...

• Like 1